Through hull transducer???

Need to know if anyone has had good luck with through hull transducer, 5-6 years ago I installed one on my 99 201, I just smoothed the surface and epoxied, the picture on my X15 was very cloudy, so i went to the transom mount, I am installing a 113HD, Would like to go with the through hull if i can get pos feedback, I have herd that you can drill down up to 3/8, But only want to do that if i know that works on a cobra,THANKS

2. Cobra Boats Moderator Backlash Ar's Avatar

Re: Through hull transducer??? (spokrose)

A lot of folks are mounting their transducers on their jackplates with excellent success.

I thought I would be on Easy Street by now but somehow I missed the off ramp!

3. Member
    I though jackplate mounting was only good on a Hummingbird side imaging. I cant imagine that it would work on a Lowrance because once you got on pad it would be out of the water. So if you wanted to run over some stuff quickly at like 25MPH just to see it you wouldnt be able to.
    Although if you have an indash flasher that is mounted in the hull and could use that to run by then i would think that jackplate mounting the big unit wouldn't be an issue.
    Cody Greenwell
    GPS/SONAR/SIDE IMAGING
    Setup Advice & On-the-Water Training

4. Cobra Boats Moderator Backlash Ar's Avatar

Re: (firekracker50)

Don't know why I was thinking you were talking about a side scan unit. Yes, you're absolutely correct, it would be out of the water once on pad. On my old Cobra I had the factory install a second transducer in the hull of my boat in case I broke the one off the trolling motor during a tournament. It was placed just forward of the floor drain that's between the consoles. It could be reached by taking off the drain screen. They used epoxy and then ran the cable up to the front deck. I kept the locator connectors inside a 35 MM film case to protect them from the weather. Regardless of where you decide to put it just remember to twist it into the epoxy as your pushing it down into position to eliminate air bubbles. Also, you need to pick a place where the transducer will not have to shoot its signal through an air pocket or a boat support structure like a strake.

I thought I would be on Easy Street by now but somehow I missed the off ramp!

5. Member
    Yeah my cobra has a transducer in the hull up front that i use for the bow unit instead of having one on the trolling motor
    Cody Greenwell
    GPS/SONAR/SIDE IMAGING
    Setup Advice & On-the-Water Training