Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    No warranty, it's a 2008, has the xs adapter with solid upper mounts. Been on lees demo Allison last couple months should be fine

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Aha... that's a bit more information than was put in there (earlier).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    yup. I still like the idea of a 4 stroke. but the sporty will have to bolt up.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    yup. I still like the idea of a 4 stroke. but the sporty will have to bolt up.
    Titus can always help you out!

Quote Originally Posted by flatsboy View Post
    You must not forget the oil inside the four stokes. Most have 6 to 8 quarts inside.Which will equate to 12 to 16 lbs dead center on the transom.
    And a 2 stroke will still have an oil reservoir on boat and on engine that adds extra weight. That is a gallon or two of extra weight as well when comparing the 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    And a 2 stroke will still have an oil reservoir on boat and on engine that adds extra weight. That is a gallon or two of extra weight as well when comparing the 2.
    I think he pointed that out because I mentioned that the weight of the 2-stroke didn't include the oil system. His point is valid as both engine's weights are dry meaning they don't include oil.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

7. Member
    I for one am excited for the 4 stroke as it should be more reliable and less dependent on perfect fuel and oil. If its a little slower that is fine as long as it accepts a sporty. Running 90 instead of 95 is not a deal breaker.

Getting close to the Miami boat show... Any word of these new engines? Old thread but Next weekend we'll know for sure!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swolt45 View Post
    I hated getting rid of my 2 stroke Suzuki rm 250 and going to a 4 stroke Honda crf 450 but that 450 would walk off and leave that 2 stroke 250. Yeah it takes more displacement but I could ride that bike in 3rd gear the whole time on most tracks. It had bottom end torque and would rev to over 12k. 3 times the cost to rebuild and long gone are 1hr piston and ring changes but it is the future. It is kind of unsettling to know that my son will never hear a 125 or 250cc two stoke go braaaappp through the gears or smell castor bean oil burned with some 114 Sunoco. I know it's off topic but motocross has thrived on the change and so will outboards. That being said, I will miss the optimax.
    Well said.......I still miss my YZ250 and RM250!!

10. Banned
    Interesting thread being a year old and Don saying that 2017 was the year of the 4 stroke (maybe), so are we closer to this happening this year?

11. Member
    One of the reasons I got a 2016 300XS last summer for my 2004 boat. I don't want a 4 stroke on my Stroker.

12. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    One of the reasons I got a 2016 300XS last summer for my 2004 boat. I don't want a 4 stroke on my Stroker.
    I have a new 300xs for my Stroker but would love a 4 stroke if the weight was down and a sporty was available.

13. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    same here
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

14. Member
    I'm a Merc fan and a 2-stroke fan...coming from years and years of MX racing and kart racing...where 18,000rpm and castor oil was the norm. BUT....you have to laugh at the way we are all 'holding onto' the Pro XS line. It's old outdated technology. NO mfg is doing 2-stroke research anymore. NO ONE...not marine or automotive. New 4-strokes are lighter than ever and virtually bullet proof. Go see any local dealer and look inside the service bays. It's filled with 2 strokes. We all know it's 'when' not 'if' one of our beloved Pro XS's kicks #2 rod out, or blows a fuel rail diaphragm, or the air compressor dies..... I've got a garage full of old Merc's...from 3 cyl's, 4 cyl's and several infamous 'tower of power' 6 cyl'. It won't be too long and the Pro XS will be history too.....only to be replaced by lighter, faster and more reliable 4-strokes. Like it or not...they're coming. And I'd bet that Merc isn't gonna just try to equal the SHO...they're gonna beat it in every way !!!
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

15. Member
    Smart move on your part!!!!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    What's a few pounds for oil. How about the extra forgotten 75 pounds for another battery for a two battery system the Verados seem to require.

17. Banned
    Wish Merc dumped siemen/deka. All their motors would perform so much better with good quality injectors.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall-I View Post
    How about the extra forgotten 75 pounds for another battery for a two battery system the Verados seem to require.
    That's not really an accurate statement... ONE properly rated cranking battery is all that is required (and it's not 75 extra pounds... there would always be a cranking battery, which would weigh SOMETHING).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    That's not really an accurate statement... ONE properly rated cranking battery is all that is required (and it's not 75 extra pounds... there would always be a cranking battery, which would weigh SOMETHING).
    Don, Must be a walleye boat thing as I know of too many people that had to go to a two battery system for their Verados up here in the northlands. Plus 3 more bats for the 36 V electric bow mount, 5 in all. A weighty issue.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Must be running some crazy electronics... most do quite well with a 31 AGM (1150 CCA).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast