Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    you should try a 1000 cca battery, fully charged and topped off brand new if possible. :)

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gregmorv View Post
    Don't want to sound to stupid but I have similar problems as Rangerboat88, what is the "PDP" don't seem to know that term.
    Power distribution panel. Everything runs through it.

3. Member
    as far as the plug fouling... other things can cause plugs to foul as well but in general plugs tend to foul because of a too rich mixture, improper gap, or too much oil present in the cylinder. so i would head in that direction... being that its happening on only 2 cylinders you have a pretty narrow list of possibilities.

When the PDP is the source of the erratic no start problem the motor will not attempt to start at all. As has been mentioned by others the battery's need for 1000 CCA is critical.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

5. Member
    Hurky509....as far as the plugs fouling, it was happening to all 6 plugs not just 2. It appears to be running rich.....crossing my fingers that problem is behind me after changing the thermostats to the etec ones. I had updated my plugs last year to the etec iridium plugs (QC10WEP) without knowing that I had to change the thermostats (to P/N 5005440) as well. Changed the thermostats a few weeks ago and so far so good! Will keep a close eye on it though.

Thx Danrude for your input....my starting issue has always been irratic. Good to know that it is unlikely the PDP as my motor has always been able to turn over....just takes 1-5 times to start.

Well, here's to hoping it is as simple as a bigger capacity battery. Sometimes when it seems to get more and more complex it's good to start again at the beginning..... I'll keep everyone posted on the results. Thx to everyone for the suggestions and information!

6. Member
    Thanks JR19 for the explanation, now I have a few things to check.

7. Member
    Whoo hoo!! Can't believe it! It was the battery after all. I tried out my buddies 1000mca battery (850cca) and she fired right up every time. Put mine back in and it misfired 2 times and fired on the third attempt. My battery's 675cca just wasn't enough at times....can't believe that got past 2 mechanics!
    Off to buy a new cranking battery tomorrow!
    So far plugs have been much cleaner running with the new thermostats and the xd100 oil. Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerboat88 View Post
    Whoo hoo!! Can't believe it! It was the battery after all. I tried out my buddies 1000mca battery (850cca) and she fired right up every time. Put mine back in and it misfired 2 times and fired on the third attempt. My battery's 675cca just wasn't enough at times....can't believe that got past 2 mechanics!
    Off to buy a new cranking battery tomorrow!
    So far plugs have been much cleaner running with the new thermostats and the xd100 oil. Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction!

i use a interstate 24xmd works well also had a everstart maxx car battery for 7 years worked fine--car batteries also have better warranties then marine batteries
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

9. Member
    you should get a good battery, not a cheap one, it will pay for itself in the long run :)

10. Member
    Rangerboat88 did you ever get a bigger battery and try it. If you did how is it starting now ????

11. Member
    Yes I did gregmorv....I put in an AGM battery 1050 MCA/925 CCA. 190 RC.
    Fired it up on the first try!
    Havent had it out yet. We're back to cold weather here this past week or so. Looks good for next weekend though!

This may seem out of the ballpark, but I had a lot of trouble with my 2, 175's ,2000 ficht. Disconnect your + and - wires,and install new wires from the battery to the engine ground and positive. Don't have to be factory wires. Then try it. I had to replace mine plus the ones going to my dash pannel. THOSE wires get old. Hopes this helps.

I had similar issues. Same motor. Tried the new higher cca(1170) battery. Didnt fix it. Pulled the starter, had it looked at by electric auto shop. They found brushes had gotten to hot at one point and 1 pulled loose. Rebuilt starter and it works!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12