250 SHO not starting trimmed down

Hey guys, I have a 2012 250 SHO and it started to worry me for the first time this past weekend. The following happened several times, but not every time during a two day period. I would come off plane, take the motor out of gear and turn off the key (motor in the trimmed down position). After 30 minutes or so it was time to move to the next spot, but the motor would not start. I had to trim the motor up (not quite out of the water) and it would start right up. Has anyone experienced this? Other than the starting problem, it ran great and seems normal...

2. Banned
    Does it crank and not start or is it not cranking? Sounds like the former but need to know for sure.

3. Member
    It turns over, but no fire...almost like the kill switch is engaged.

4. Banned
    Start with the easiest and look for a pinched or stretched wire.

5. Member
    I'm betting it is the neutral sensor switch. It might need adjusting.

6. Member
    Is that something that I can check and adjust myself?

7. Member
    Yes, but will be easier with a buddy at the shift lever. Sorry it took so long for me to reply.

8. Member
    Thanks Team Stratos,
    what am I looking for that would indicate it could be the neutral sensor switch?

9. Member
    Have a buddy slide the shift lever in and out of neutral. Under the linkage that moves back and forth there is a center position that allows the starter to engage. if the linkage is not in that center position, the engine thinks it is in gear and wont start. I had one go bad and for some reason it intermittently thought it was in gear when it actually wasn't.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Stratos View Post
    Have a buddy slide the shift lever in and out of neutral. Under the linkage that moves back and forth there is a center position that allows the starter to engage. if the linkage is not in that center position, the engine thinks it is in gear and wont start. I had one go bad and for some reason it intermittently thought it was in gear when it actually wasn't.
    Just thinking out loud, is there any way there could be a loose contact /conection on the other end of the "neutral switch" where it recieves this signal at the powerhead, that would or wouldn't make contact depending on trim location.

11. Member
    Thanks all, I will check both of those items this weekend and report back. Thanks for the assistance, it is much appreciated!

12. Member
    Ok I'm reporting back after checking the linkage and wiring for loose connections. I couldn't find anything obvious, but now the motor will intermittently start without adjusting the trim...so it very well may be that I need a new "neutral switch".

13. Member
    You should be able to use an OHM meter to test the switch. I would think its an open switch in neutral and connected in gear. Might be the opposite. shouldn't take but a minute to find out.

14. Member
    Thanks Team Stratos, I'll check that this weekend.

15. Member
    Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I’m currently having this same problem and nobody seems to know

16. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    The OP hasn't been active on the boards since Feb 2017. He doesn't have an e-mail address in his profile or you could send an e-mail through the boards.

17. Member
    I recall a post a couple of years ago on the Skeeter board of the same thing. It was attributed to vapor lock. I know they were saying to trim the motor up and then back down and it would start. The issues seems to be caused from the way the fuel system on the new boats do not vent.