Opinions on 2011~2012 Alpha 211 DCX?

Didn't want to steal the thread from last year 'getting closer' but it seems I'm going down that road as well. Not being able to order a new one, it's used for this boy.

Been looking at Bass Cat (hard to find here in Ga), Phoenix, Legend, Ranger, Champion and Triton (all between 2006~2013) and have ran across several this week that are going to require me to drive 100~200 if not 400~800 miles to go check out. Although I did stumble across an 03 Ranger 521 with a brand new SHO on it but that's another story.

My needs are simple, it needs to (it WILL BE) as long as possible, have dual consoles, low hours (as possible), and as many doo-dads as we can muster up. In other words, Power Pole(s)/Talon(s), a good TM, jack plate, and finders somewhere from this century if at all possible. Either that, of if it's cheap enough I'll rig it with all new electronics and a shallow anchor or two (Talons most likely).

That brings me to the 2011~2012 211 DCX. Found both, and both would work for both my budget as well as the doo-dads. Just that neither are anywhere local. Both have most, if not all and then some of what I'm looking for. One has a single PP, the other has dual Talons. One has dual birds, the other quad Lowrance's. Just need some input.

Which brings me to y'all, the owners and drivers of these puppies. Did notice in the thread from last year one guy (lives not all that far from me actually) said he had nothing but trouble getting his to run right. (boat not motor) Seems he did mention though something about loading it with 3 people, full guide gear, a ton of tackle and such and it wouldn't get on plane worth a darn. I won't be doing any guide work that's for SURE. But I'll be running 2 people probably half the time no doubt. Also... this will be my first (and last) bass boat and I need it to be done right, period. If that guy had such a problem getting one on plane, makes me wonder about a 250, quad batteries, and a pair of Talons hanging off the back. OR... does one just need to throw a sandbag up front to balance it a bit. LoL
    If the 211 isn't it, then I'll look elsewhere.

Of course I'll not buy anything till it goes in the water and I at least have an idea how it runs. I may be old, but I'm not insane *yet*.

Thanks guys!

Dixie Chicken

2. Member
    Can't help with a 211, but I have a 2009 Alpha199. 225 Pro XS, 25 3 blade Fury set 3 3/4" from pad, 1 10' Tallon. With me at 230lbs, one buddy at 260+ and another at 215lbs all sitting in the buckets and center fold down and a full tank of gas I had no trouble what so ever planning in 80 Degree water. When I bought the boat it came with a 27" Tempest Plus @ 4 1/4" PTP and it planned pretty good with three people (60 degree water). I have had me, a 300lb son and 270 lb grandson (900lbs of butt) and the boat came out of the hole in cool water OK. I am fortunate that I can buy any bass boat (I did not say yachts) made, and it would be hard to get me out of a Legend. I am sure there are other boats just as good, but I really like mine. My advice is to buy the boat that when you turn it on, it returns the favor.

3. Member
    Thanks RF that gives me food for thought.

Speaking of food... I'm glad I don't have to feed that boy of yours brother. ;-)

I'm 195 maybe, Mama north of 150, (likely more) don't tell her I said that which is about the average load any boat I get will see. My son, pffft he's 23, certified personal trainer, maybe 150 soaking wet. He'd be a little ballast from time to time at best.

Wish I could snag any bass boat I wanted for sure. That'd be nice.:-) Although I have no idea what that'd be truth be told. Allison, Legend or Bass Cat probably.

Spent a ton on av gear, huge TV's, and such has been my vice since I was a kid. (Like now, 15 speakers and 2 subs in the family room is what that'd turned into.) :-)

Being disabled early in life (and retired now) this bass boat adventure is more for my sanity than anything else. Always wanted one and just now getting to it.

Lemme ask you this if ya don't mind. You know the Legend dealer over in Wedowee? That's one that I'm visiting.

The 2011 is loaded up, talons, HDS of all sizes (and generations it seems) 4 in all. Only one Gen 3 but it's the newest, and biggest, lil' over 300 hours . Might be a keeper if the ECU readout doesn't look like it's been hammered constantly, and the deal makes sense.

Your last sentence... That's a keeper!

THAT is what I'm looking for. Waited too long for my own bass rig, and it's darned well gonna look as good behind my new chromed out burgundy Silverado riding on 22:s on land as it will in the water.:D

Thanks again for the plate n prop notes. I'll file those away for sure.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

4. Member
    You should have no issue if it's propped correctly. Hydraulic jackplate will also be a plus.
    Nitro z21

5. Member
    I run a single console 2012 with 250 Pro Xs. Loaded very heavy with gear, powerpoles, 4 batteries. No performance issues at all. My best gps speed under perfect conditions was 74. With live wells full, two guys, full tank of gas in summer it runs mid 60s. Upper 60’s to 70 in cool weather and good conditions. I run the original Fury prop that came with it (and manual jackplate).
    Last edited by rangerranger; 02-28-2017 at 11:57 AM.

6. Banned
    Just gotta have it propped right and prop to pad tweaked correctly and they will run like a champ, no pun intended...

7. Member
    I have a 12 like the one you are talking about. Before I bought it I would make sure the following 2 issues don't exist because they both have been a problem for me:

1. Make sure that the liner on the gas tank hasn't collapsed. I ended up having to buy another gas tank.

2. Make sure that the transom is solid. Mine failed and had to be repaired. They use a solid metal box to reinforce the transom now. This year model didn't have that. One of the guys who works for Legend acknowledged that this was an issue with that year. Nothing was covered under warranty because I am the 3rd owner.

If the engine is a Mercury, I would make sure the motor mounts are OK. I have had 2 sets fail on me.

The planing problem is likely due to the prop. I run a 27 Bravo 1 xs and it does a really good job. I had a 26 fury and it can't handle any kind of load.

The boat rides well, is easy to drive. Run about 71 to 72 when everything is perfect. Good luck with your purchase.

8. Member
    How does one know the gas tank liner is collapsed?
    Nitro z21

9. Member
    The gauge would show full, but the tank would run out of usable gas at 1/2 tank and the motor would die. Fill it up again and it would only hold 22 gallons. I took the small round cap off the top of the tank and could see the liner bulging into the tank itself. The tank manufacturer offered no warranty for it and Legend wouldn't cover it because I was 3rd owner. Cost me 600 plus a 7 hour drive to the factory to replace it. They now use a different manufacturer and I haven't had a problem with my new one.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 518svx View Post
    I have a 12 like the one you are talking about. Before I bought it I would make sure the following 2 issues don't exist because they both have been a problem for me:

1. Make sure that the liner on the gas tank hasn't collapsed. I ended up having to buy another gas tank.

2. Make sure that the transom is solid. Mine failed and had to be repaired. They use a solid metal box to reinforce the transom now. This year model didn't have that. One of the guys who works for Legend acknowledged that this was an issue with that year. Nothing was covered under warranty because I am the 3rd owner.

If the engine is a Mercury, I would make sure the motor mounts are OK. I have had 2 sets fail on me.

The gauge would show full, but the tank would run out of usable gas at 1/2 tank and the motor would die. Fill it up again and it would only hold 22 gallons. I took the small round cap off the top of the tank and could see the liner bulging into the tank itself. The tank manufacturer offered no warranty for it and Legend wouldn't cover it because I was 3rd owner. Cost me 600 plus a 7 hour drive to the factory to replace it. They now use a different manufacturer and I haven't had a problem with my new one.
    Now THAT is useful information!

The transom I can check for sure. Figure if it can't handle my 195 pounds pulling up and down (with some vigor) on the bottom end without flex then it SURELY can't handle propelling the entire thing across the lake, over chop, and at times... well above 65 mph.

Good to know that info on the tank liner. I'd NEVER have thought of that one!

Actually I've looked at three, a 11, 12, and 13. The 13 went QUICK because it was seriously underpriced. The other two are still sitting there. Both have shallow anchors, (1 or 2), dual birds or quad Lowrance's. The 12 is cheaper (by $3500) and has 430~40 hours, and the 11 something like 330 (I think). (Both are 250 Merc's.) Have the ecu readout from the 11, still waiting on the one from the 12.

That brings another question (probably best suited for the Mercury forum) but I'll throw it out there.
    Reliability as it relates to run time vs. RPM, any thoughts?
    For instance.... I've looked at a LOT of boats since last fall. Sometimes you'll find one that's 10 years old and hardly any hours. Others you'll find one like the two above, that have been run 65~85 hours a year. That in-and-of itself doesn't concern me that much. Figuring the average is what... 50 hours a year?

But what I'm looking at is run time at given RPM's, and how that relates to total engine run time. For instance, found one lately (happened to be a Verado) that has less than 200 hours, but has NEVER been run at WOT. Looking even closer, it only had .2 hours above 5500 and only 1.5 above 4000. Most all the hours were either just off idle, or below 3500 rpm.

Then you get to those that have say 250 hours and 35 are at WOT, 25 are in the range below that, and the rest are scattered with very few in the 0~599 or in the 600~1499 range for that matter. It's is if they drove it like they stole it every-single-time it hit the water. It boggles the mind how they've not blown up by then.

So what I'm getting at is just how long would you think it'd be safe to run a power plant at WOT that you don't want to have to change out the power head on every couple years? It may just be me... but I'm thinking anything above 10% of overall operating time/rpms spent above 5000 RPM's would be above average. AND would contribute likely 25% or perhaps much more of the total wear to the engine. FWIW I'm generally seeing on most, readings just below 10%. Although I'd like to see ZERO above 5700 on what I'm buying being as the last thing I need to do is an overhaul. (Lest Mama take me to the creek, scale me, and send my guts floating down stream!)
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave