Getting ready to pull the trigger

Have been looking for a long time. My heart wants a diesel pusher, a high end used (1998-2002). But my head is about resale. Would it be easier to sell this type of unit vs a 5th wheel. I have had all types of rv's except the diesel pusher. All had their good and bad points. I have a truck to pull a 5th wheel and I already have the toad. So my question is go with my heart or my head. And before you answer, the reason for an older motorhome is I do not want or need any slide outs. Seems all the newer ones have them. Like the bus style like Bluebird, Foretravel, Newell.

2. Member
    http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

Cummins engine, don't deviate.
    Spartan chassis preferably, Freightliner otherwise.

Buy right, take care of it. Don't worry about resale.
    You won't end up getting one if you do.
    As noted, there's no such thing as the perfect RV.

Buying used, someone has already taken the biggest hit on depreciation. I don't know how much you plan to use your RV. The more you use it the more you will appreciate having a slide. We average 40-50 nights per year and I can tell you I am thankful for the extra space a slide provides. You get stuck inside for a couple of rainy days and you will know what I mean. As for which would be easier to sell I think depends on the market and price point. Again, I think having slides make resale a little better, but that is because I would not buy without a slide. Sales of RVs have been on the increase over the last few years. If the trend continues, resale would probably not be a issue. That's my opinion. Go with what fits you and your family needs
    "I see dead people"

Virtually any diesel pusher will have a commercial chassis designed to easily outlast the body bolted to it. With proper care and maintenance it's a 1M mile chassis. How well (read trouble free) the bus will last is very much brand dependent and how often it's used. Slides are very much a necessity if you're going to enjoy the unit long term. Slides get a bad rap because cheaper brands develop leakage problems. Quality busses have few if any issues with leaks. Slides virtually double the amount of internal space in the unit.

Resale? Again - brand dependent. Quality brands command greater resale and less depreciation. You'll pay more and lose less. Buy inexpensively and that huge hit the other's take will be yours as well in a few years. People demand slides in what they purchase these days. Buy a unit without and you'll have an unsellable unit when you're ready for another.

In truth - a "bus" ages worse than most any towable and is a horrible "investment" in the long run. As "modern styling" changes headlight / tail light / grill designs - even a 5-7 year old unit looks old compared to today's offerings. Many of the towables with proper upkeep look exactly like what's sold new on the lot today. If you already have the proper tow equipment - you'll take a lesser hit. Buying brands like Redwood, Luxury Suites, or Grand Design will depreciate less than a bus and have much more useable space to enjoy yourself and family. Downside is packing the family into that truck cab while it's on the road.

Decisions......

My opinion is to get a 5th wheel if you already have a capable truck. Much cheaper and less maintenance. 5th wheels and travel trailers are popular and cheap so resale is easier.

6. BBC LifeTimeMember jimb175nc's Avatar
    37' Motorhome with a tow behind. Bought one 15 years old and love it. Two slides on same side.
    something smells

7. Member
    Tampa jim is right about that Cummins comment.

Cat has stopped making any of the RV engines, and now it's been long enough to where a lot of shops are scratching their heads and looking up books to work on them. Ask me how I know.

And if you get some of the older Monaco stuff, they had their own engine and chassis, and as of late, people are reporting parts hard to find.

Cummins / Spartan all the way these days.