Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Battery Jump Start Switch

Re: 2013 20XS w/250 ProXS & 24V Motorguide

I have a Lowrance 9" touch in the bow and a 12" touch in the dash as well as a Dekka 31 AGM battery installed. What I'm now looking for is a jump start switch whereby I can switch over from the cranking battery and utilize the trolling motor batteries to jump start the engine. I have found one at TournamentSaverPro.com but really would prefer not to run a cable to the dash and drill a hole in the dash for the push button switch. There's also a Perko switch that may work as well, but I like the idea of the clean installation of the Ranger switch.

Now to my questions.............................below is the website picture of the switch that Ranger has been installing in their C series boats apparently since about 2013.

http://www.boattest.com/images-galle...h_2016_big.jpg

Has anyone mounted one of the Ranger switches in a 20XS triton to know that the corners of the Ranger and the Triton lockers are the same so that the switch will physically bolt up in the rear starboard corner of the bilge locker on the Triton? Secondly, are the wires provided with the Ranger switch the same ones that I will need for my Triton?

PS.....Triton says they do not offer this as a factory installed option or available as an accessory. Seems somewhat strange to me that Ranger has been installing it for some three years now and Triton doesn't........

2. Member
    I could get a pdf of my Ranger if you have a schematic of your Triton. You could compare the two before you buy one.

3. Member
    I have the ability to build a simple circuit that would power the needed relays to connect the trolling motor batters over to the cranking battery but to be honest, in the end I made up a simple three way booster cable. Was fast, simple and inexpensive and since I've only ever had to boost myself once over the years, thought it would be easier to just keep them versus added wiring and another box for my relays etc.

I took two sets of booster cables, cut a section about 18 to 24" long off of one set and then attached them to the end of the second set of cables about 2 feet back, soldered it all and ended up with a booster set of cables that had a pair of cable ends on one end and a single set on the other. So when I hook up the double headed side of red to positive and black to negative of two of my TM batteries, I get two batteries putting out 12V each to the other end that I put onto my cranking battery. Boost as normal and remove in reverse. Simple and the 3 way booster cables are easy to store in a rear bilge compartment tray.

This is what I have. I have had one in the last few Team Boats.

http://tournamentsaverpro.com/videos/

5. Member
    I'll bump this up, I too would like to know how to get one for my rig.
    2004 Triton TR-186DC - Mercury 175 Optimax

6. Member
    Call the guys over at Texas Boat World 254-699-9151 they installed one on my 2015 trx21

7. Member
    for the tournament saver pro you do not have to mount it in your dash. It can go in the cock pit area next to your leg or anywhere that you can reach while seated. I have it and have needed to use it and it works great.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTR21 View Post
    for the tournament saver pro you do not have to mount it in your dash. It can go in the cock pit area next to your leg or anywhere that you can reach while seated. I have it and have needed to use it and it works great.
    How hard was it to install?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wash84 View Post
    Call the guys over at Texas Boat World 254-699-9151 they installed one on my 2015 trx21
    I gave them a call today, they can order the kit and they run about $105 plus tax. I found out they are made specifically for Ranger boats only. So that could be a deal killer for me owning a Triton plus I was thinking they cost as much less.

Quote Originally Posted by JRTrower View Post
    This is what I have. I have had one in the last few Team Boats.

http://tournamentsaverpro.com/videos/
    That's looks like a reasonable fix

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassStriker View Post
    I gave them a call today, they can order the kit and they run about $105 plus tax. I found out they are made specifically for Ranger boats only. So that could be a deal killer for me owning a Triton plus I was thinking they cost as much less.
    It should still work on any other brand boat.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jentrick View Post
    It should still work on any other brand boat.
    I imagine I could get it to work but being it costs the same as the tournament saver pro I'm thinking why not have the convenience of the button being up at the counsel. Fishing Fool NC the kit does come with all the wire.

13. Member
    Here's where I am after some more research.................
    A person I know has just installed the Ranger switch in his 520 Ranger(not a C), and a homemade template indicates that the angle of the corners of the rear lockers are the same between both brands of boats as well as the height (1 3/8") of the lip on the locker and the thickness (1/8") of the fiberglass. My conclusion is that the Ranger switch will physically bolt up to the corner in my Triton locker. According to him, he says that he ordered the switch to fit his 520 and assumes the difference of switches between models may be the length of the wires that come with the switch...it appears the length of his wires are sufficient for my 20XS. Sounds reasonable as I'm not sure they would use different gauge wires on different boat lengths or size motors...just my opinion though. He did the installation and now some speeds on the trolling motor that makes interference on his bow Lowrance when he uses his trolling motor. He assumes one of the battery switch wires is too close to the rear transducer cable and so has rerouted some cables, but water is too high to put it on the water to confirm.

Thanks everybody for your help...going to order the tournament saver pro also Striker.....hopefully will reduce the chance of any interference per their Q&A on the website.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishing_Fool_NC View Post

Thanks everybody for your help...going to order the tournament saver pro also Striker.....hopefully will reduce the chance of any interference per their Q&A on the website.

Got one and have had to use it several times....works Great

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

16. Member
    If I had one of these systems and had to use it one time, the next day I would buy a new start battery, because the start battery should have lasted all day. If you need one of these systems then your start battery is NOT sufficient.

I have custom cables that I made to jump the start battery, but they are only for a emergency, that should only occur once every 4-5 years.

17. Member
    I keep hearing of custom jumper cables. Am i missing something as i have a set of jumper cables that ive used to jump mine and they are just heavy gauge wire and good clamps on the ends. they work great when needed. any input would be great thanks

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsturggie View Post
    I keep hearing of custom jumper cables. Am i missing something as i have a set of jumper cables that ive used to jump mine and they are just heavy gauge wire and good clamps on the ends. they work great when needed. any input would be great thanks
    I replace the spring clamps with copper crimp-on one hole lugs, so the cables don't come off on the ride back causing a spark or fire.

19. Member
    Savage,
    Should my cranking battery last through this setup. Two graphs, live well and here is the main reason, I will troll for sometimes 3-5 hours before starting the big engine when I'm pounding the banks/docks. Should my battery last for that long?

20. Member
    Start battery should last all day starting motor, running livewells, and using electronics. Trolling motor batteries are a different story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast