Thread: Bass Books

Bass Books

I got a vacation coming up and normally the wife and I spend a good amount of time on the beach reading, I thought why not a bass book. Anyone have any good books they'd recommend on bass fishing. I read Ike's book last year and thought it was pretty good. Any others people would recommend? Probably looking for something more into the tips and techniques portion of bass fishing and less into the story telling, but both are good.

2. Member
    Bill Murphy's book In Pursuit of Giant Bass is a great read and loaded with info. Doug Hannon's Big Bass Magic is another must read. It is focused mostly on Florida strain, but I'm sure you will use some of the information in MN. I'm looking forward to others suggestions.

Rich Zaleski's (former In-Fisherman writer, now retired) "Advanced Bass Techniques." I have read most of the books on the market, and this one is THE best. It has been out of print for a few years, but copies are still available on Amazon.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    Sowbelly: The Obsessive Quest for the World-Record Largemouth Bass
    SEAGUAR

Holy crap! I was just looking for some vaca reading too and it looks like InterMedia dropped their books/DVDs. InFisherman Critical concepts books are $120+ on ebay/amazon I noticed one of KVD's books jumped from $17 to $70 in the past two days! P.S. I ordered "Sowbelly" and "Advanced Bass Techniques" before I posted, each was the last one according to amazon, so the prices probably just jumped even more.
    -Jon
    2017 Lund Renegade 1875
    115 ProXS w/ Spitfire X7 12.7x19
    'Birds (2) helix7 g2n (1)1199 hdsi
    Terrova 80 w/ ipilot link
    MK 330 PC charger

Quote Originally Posted by rduffy75 View Post
    This is a good read!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Rich Zaleski's (former In-Fisherman writer, now retired) "Advanced Bass Techniques." I have read most of the books on the market, and this one is THE best. It has been out of print for a few years, but copies are still available on Amazon.
    This ^^^^ I would also add Knowing Bass by Dr. Keith A. Jones.. Another MUST read in my opinion..

Our public library has a surprising number of bass fishing books, especially considering that our DF&W has only just discovered that some residents actually like fishing for both LM & SM bass.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maker of things View Post
    Holy crap! I was just looking for some vaca reading too and it looks like InterMedia dropped their books/DVDs. InFisherman Critical concepts books are $120+ on ebay/amazon I noticed one of KVD's books jumped from $17 to $70 in the past two days! P.S. I ordered "Sowbelly" and "Advanced Bass Techniques" before I posted, each was the last one according to amazon, so the prices probably just jumped even more.
    Wth.... I just ordered the in-fishermen a month or so ago for $7.99 each.

10. Member
    Bass forever - Glen Lau

11. Member
    Gonna bump this up.
    Any of you guys have input on KVDs books? I’ve ordered sowbelly, as well as Rich Zaleski Advanced Bass Techniques. I’d like to obtain books that focus on seasonal behaviors etc and I’m pretty much buying these blindly in hopes they have in depth information to improve my techniques.

12. Member
    Bass Wars
    Red Sox in 6!

Quote Originally Posted by rduffy75 View Post
    This^^^

14. Banned
    Ike's book is a good read. Fishing on the Edge.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol-Blue View Post
    Gonna bump this up.
    Any of you guys have input on KVDs books? I’ve ordered sowbelly, as well as Rich Zaleski Advanced Bass Techniques. I’d like to obtain books that focus on seasonal behaviors etc and I’m pretty much buying these blindly in hopes they have in depth information to improve my techniques.
    If you're looking one geared more toward bass behavior and biology the book I posted.. Knowing Bass by Dr. Keith Jones is a must.. Lots of good information on seasonal movements of fish and baitfish..

16. Member
    Bass wars, sow belly, iaconellis book, and Joe Thomas's book

If you want some Smallmouth reading The Last Smallmouth by Tony Bean is a good one.

18. Member
    IMHO the KVD books are just ok,lots of repetitive passages same with the Denny Brauer book I own.
    Red Sox in 6!

19. BBC SPONSOR
    Spoonplugging By Buck Perry
    He is the father of STRUCTURE fishing.

https://www.amazon.com/Spoonplugging.../dp/B000TC4VVS