Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrightspace View Post
    I too noticed that the Hummingbird install instructions stated that the transducer should be a min. of 15" from the motor. Does anyone know why they make this recommendation? Without that restriction location 2 in the diagram below might be an option - any RT178/RT188 owners tried this location?

Bringing this thread back to see what kind of results people are getting from transducer locations on the RT178. The factory mounted 2d on mine is over at position 1. My plan of attack as of now is to mount my transducer board up flush against the livewell drain. I will place the LSS-2 here relative to position 2 and place the 2D directly above the bunk between the strake and trim tab. Anyone have any luck with these positions or any other? I plan on leave the bracket in place at position 1 although it is basically useless for on plane with the 2D over 15 mph or so. I have a 50 HP with no setback/jackplate but it seems like the LSS-2 will work at position 2 with some trim up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    Tried it, gave up. Installed Alumaducer, works great from the first try.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagregss View Post
    Tried it, gave up. Installed Alumaducer, works great from the first try.
    Haha not what I really wanted to hear but it seems to be the common theme. I'm not necessarily too concerned with on plane readings from the 2D as I mostly fish rivers and I'm only on plane in the navigation channel. My boat also only tops out around 30 mph so I don't have real far to go to get the on plane readings up there. I guess I'm mainly looking for the LSS-2 optimal positon.

Mine is mounted about where your #2 spot is marked. They don’t recommend to mount it there because of concerns about causing turbulence in the water stream flowing across the motor and prop. I did not know that when I installed mine but have not had any problems and I have over 350 hours on my motor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Mine is mounted about where your #2 spot is marked. They don’t recommend to mount it there because of concerns about causing turbulence in the water stream flowing across the motor and prop. I did not know that when I installed mine but have not had any problems and I have over 350 hours on my motor.
    That's the position I'm leaning towards, there just isn't a whole lot of places for 2 transducers back there because of the strakes and trim tabs. The only other option I see is to mount the LSS-2 above the bunk and keep the 2D way out to the right where I know it doesn't work very well. I'm trying to keep them in proximity so I can take advantage of the downscan overlay feature. Thanks.

6. Member
    last year mine my depth readings went crazy around 25 mph. I am going to try a adjustment this year to see if I can get a higher speed reading.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by billwvu05 View Post
    I’m trying to keep them in proximity so I can take advantage of the downscan overlay feature. Thanks.
    That was the reason, I mounted the LSS1 and sonar transducer as close as I did. I mounted the LSS1 lowest of the two, because the downscan mode reads better on plane than the 2D. I can read at 38 to 40 MPH. I am thinking of moving the 2D ducer to the other side of the motor and mount it at the same level as the LSS1 so it will read on plane as well and I should still be able to still have the overlay.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    That was the reason, I mounted the LSS1 and sonar transducer as close as I did. I mounted the LSS1 lowest of the two, because the downscan mode reads better on plane than the 2D. I can read at 38 to 40 MPH. I am thinking of moving the 2D ducer to the other side of the motor and mount it at the same level as the LSS1 so it will read on plane as well and I should still be able to still have the overlay.
    I think I will try it with the LSS-2 down there as near where yours is located. I noticed your live well drain is up to the middle of the transom whereas mine is directly to the right of the plug, maybe this is a 188 thing? This would be nice to give a little more space down there to mount the transducer plate.

9. Member
    Just an update regarding my LSS2 and skimmer install. I placed the mounting plate flush against the livewell drain with the LSS2 right beside it on the end of the plate. Skimmer was placed directly above the bunk. I had it out for the first time today and it performed pretty well. The Sidescan looks pretty crisp and I was able to get on plane depth all day at any speed from the skimmer. I have to do some fine tuning with the leveling of the LSS2 but it was pretty close. The skimmer was light years better than the factory placement. Only issue is I have a small leak somewhere, had some water in the bilge and it is normally bone dry. Thinking its from one of the old screw holes I sealed but not sure.

10. Member
    Had my helix HDSI transducer at location 2. Image was pretty good. Might have been some blockage from the engine but not too bad. I am upgrading to a Helix 10 MEGA SI and I am contemplating placing it in the same spot.

There just arent a lot of options when you get right down to it. Any other suggestions?

11. Member
    Great thread from the past! Will be tackling this some time this week. Factory mounting has the current HDI transducer in position 1. I will be adding an LSS2 and am contemplating on placing it in location 2 or between the trim tab and strake. I'll be using Stern Saver. My concerns with position 2 is that I don't know how much I'll have to trim the motor at trolling speeds to properly get side imaging. Also if the engine will clear while steering.

12. Member
    I literally placed my mounting plate up against the livewell drain. The LSS2 is right beside the drain on the end of the plate. I was probably trimmed about halfway up and running around 4 mph and I got great images. The skimmer is directly above the bunk and gave depth at any speed. I'm no expert by any means but I didn't really see any other option to get the skimmer working and keeping it above the LSS2. The only thing I'm not too keen on in my setup is the LSS2 is down too low probably and I'm worried about hitting something with it.

13. Member
    I literally placed my mounting plate up against the livewell drain. The LSS2 is right beside the drain on the end of the plate. I was probably trimmed about halfway up and running around 4 mph and I got great images. The skimmer is directly above the bunk and gave depth at any speed. I'm no expert by any means but I didn't really see any other option to get the skimmer working and keeping it above the LSS2. The only thing I'm not too keen on in my setup is the LSS2 is down too low probably and I'm worried about hitting something with it.
    With your LSS2 mounted that close to the lower unit, have you run into any issues with bumping it when steering?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bunz559 View Post
    With your LSS2 mounted that close to the lower unit, have you run into any issues with bumping it when steering?
    Nope, there is plenty of clearance with the motor turned both directions.

15. Member
    Nope, there is plenty of clearance with the motor turned both directions.
    Great! Thanks for the information. I went ahead and glued my Stern Saver into position 2. I'll be mounting an LSS2 there. I really contemplated in putting it above the strake, but with my HDI mounted at position 1, I was concerned the LSS2 would not sit below the HDI. Postion 2 seems to be the only option.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bunz559 View Post
    Great! Thanks for the information. I went ahead and glued my Stern Saver into position 2. I'll be mounting an LSS2 there. I really contemplated in putting it above the strake, but with my HDI mounted at position 1, I was concerned the LSS2 would not sit below the HDI. Postion 2 seems to be the only option.
    I would just double check clearance before you mount the transducer by turning the engine completely to each side but you should be fine. I have a 50 hp so if you have larger that may effect it slightly. Like you, I stared at that transom for hours and I just didn't see any other good options. Seems to be working great now. Let me know how it works out for you once you have it on the water.

17. Member
    I have helix 9 chirp mega si and my depth reading is continuing to bounce around sitting in 4 FOW it will read 4 to 20 ' I have it linked with a helix 7 chirp G2N at bow. My bow graph reads correctly using the generic transducer in the Ultrex for 2D sonar. And when I'm looking at the DI window on the bow the depth is good. Getting the DI from the rear transducer and the depth from the TM is okay . But for whatever reason I cannot get a solid depth from the rear Transducer ?? This is on RT 178 .with transducer mounted between motor and right trim tab .

Quote Originally Posted by Cl1860 View Post
    I have helix 9 chirp mega si and my depth reading is continuing to bounce around sitting in 4 FOW it will read 4 to 20 ' I have it linked with a helix 7 chirp G2N at bow. My bow graph reads correctly using the generic transducer in the Ultrex for 2D sonar. And when I'm looking at the DI window on the bow the depth is good. Getting the DI from the rear transducer and the depth from the TM is okay . But for whatever reason I cannot get a solid depth from the rear Transducer ?? This is on RT 178 .with transducer mounted between motor and right trim tab .
    There is a depth readout issue with most all the recent units. A fix is being worked on. Lots of complaints about it.
    Check the Humminbird forum. Your boat makes no difference.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123