Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Three new Harley's between my wife and I since 2005. I've been left stranded by a broken bike twice, both times electronic issues that were fixed quickly under warranty. All of them require maintence!

Go ride some and see what you prefer. Don't buy into a Harley breaks down or blows out oil every time you ride it.

2. Member
    JMHO---Yamaha Roadstar. My 2001 has been trouble free since new. Normal maintenance is all I have had to do. There was a recall for a circlip in the transmission that was handled by the dealer quickly under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Go ride some and see what you prefer. Don't buy into a Harley breaks down or blows out oil every time you ride it.
    ^^^This^^^
    Alan
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

4. Member
    Yamaha fj09 be close to your price range

5. Member
    Rick H I seen you have several master certifications in the automotive and motorcycle industry. You also said you went on a 5500 mile trip and one of the HD's was puking oil. The problem most likely causing the issue was the oil level was too high if it was a touring model. Most people, including those that work on them in dealerships and people like you don't know how to properly set the oil level on them. Second it happens simply because of the design of the oiling system. The oil aerates in the cases and cam compartment and can not be returned to the oil pan through the scavenge side of the gerotor oil pump. With it being trapped in the cases and cam compartment it makes its way up around the push rods and out the breathers in the heads and into the a/c. There is more to it than that, but that's it in a nutshell. I'm a master tech with Harley and shop foreman, been at it for 12 years. If you want a good bike look for a good used dyna or vrod, can't go wrong with either one.

6. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Get a Road King with an 80 inch evo motor. Preferably like a 97 or 98 model year non fuel injected.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy909 View Post
    Rick H I seen you have several master certifications in the automotive and motorcycle industry. You also said you went on a 5500 mile trip and one of the HD's was puking oil. The problem most likely causing the issue was the oil level was too high if it was a touring model. Most people, including those that work on them in dealerships and people like you don't know how to properly set the oil level on them. Second it happens simply because of the design of the oiling system. The oil aerates in the cases and cam compartment and can not be returned to the oil pan through the scavenge side of the gerotor oil pump. With it being trapped in the cases and cam compartment it makes its way up around the push rods and out the breathers in the heads and into the a/c. There is more to it than that, but that's it in a nutshell. I'm a master tech with Harley and shop foreman, been at it for 12 years. If you want a good bike look for a good used dyna or vrod, can't go wrong with either one.
    People like me! U Really got a set mr 12yr! I can double that and then some. Never worked on the oil blower so go lay down "gerotor"

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

8. Member
    What the hell are you talking about Rick H? Oil blower? Not really under standing what your getting at? The twin cam engine has a gerotor style oil pump with a feed and a scavage side. If the oil level is not set correctly or the bike ridden at highway speeds for an extended amount of time they tend to "stack up" or pass oil through the breathers. Do you disagree with me? Besides that guys like you are a dime a dozen, they think they know everything when actually they don't know as much as they think they do. I wasn't trying to offend you, but you kind of sound like a know it all. If what I'm saying is wrong in anyway, please correct me.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

10. Banned
    I was looking online at our local Honda-Suzuki-Yamaha-Kawasaki dealership's inventories. There are an incredible number of preowned motorcycles sitting on dealer's lots. in our case, this dealer has more used units than new units. They even had the biggest 2015 Indian with 1K miles for a big price savings.

For new cycles, I really like the new Ducati Scramblers--800 cc and old school mechanics. It's getting rave reviews.

And for used, I still like the SV650 Suzuki's as they'll do anything you need to do. And they're very reliable bikes.

Buy a nice used Victory Cross Country. All you have to do is ride & enjoy!
    "Before the beginning of great brilliance, you must have chaos."

12. Member
    Just sold my Harley. 9 years and zero problems. The only maintenance was Mobile 1 V twin motor oil at oil change, and 1 replaced battery.
    You want something to cruise comfortably, get a Harley or Goldwing. You want a performance bike, get something else but they are not comfortable on a long ride. I turn 63 next month, so I know what it's like to want a comfortable ride. Also, the Harley softail heritage sits very low and has a low center of gravity, making it easier to handle, especially low speed .

13. Member
    Orion, you have a fun opportunity in front of you. There are a bunch of bikes that could work for you & your wife. Check out Kelly Blue Book and you will get a bunch of ideas. Ignore the haters of Harley's, metrics, scooters... Haters got to hate.
    I have had a number of bikes so far & enjoyed all of them. Fit and riding style are critical. My average ride is not long (usually 150-250 miles/day) but take all day. I am a member of the Iron Butt Association & do enjoy long rides. Mostly, I spend a lot of time riding country roads on a 2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special. Before that a 2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King.
    Avoid buying a bike that has had engine work. Horsepower is important, Reliability is more so. Of course you wil want a bike with enough torque for two-up riding. Focus on bike models that can be serviced locally. Oh, and have the services recommended performed.

Suggestion: Check out the motorcycle clubs in your area. There are gear head clubs, Christian clubs, Harley clubs (HOGS) and many more. Attend a meeting, get a vibe if they are a group you would want to hang with & see what they are riding.
    I have a whole group of friends that I can count on because of riding. Hoping the same for you & your wife.
    Harleytimes
    Triton SF21
    Honda 200hp

14. Member
    Bought a brand new 2012 Harley Electra glide Spent several thousand dollars installing exhaust system and other items that my dealer said would make it run cooler. Had it for a full year and got rid of it. They look good and ride good but the heat was a factor for me. Waiting at those 4 min traffic lights sweating like a roasted pig from the heat off those motors was to much for me. All my life i wanted a Harley and it took me 12 months of owning one to realize i made a big mistake. Glad i did not sell my Honda Valkyrie. Not bashing HARLEY at all but it is what it is.

15. Member
    Go ride them and pick the one "YOU" like best. They're all good and bad in some situations. I like the Harleys. Made in the USA. I do also like the metric bikes for being so smooth but I'll take the big vibrator....its just my style lol
    2004 ZX225Skeeter
    225 HPDI Yamaha
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Also, the Harley softail heritage sits very low and has a low center of gravity, making it easier to handle, especially low speed .
    I love the looks of the softail and the handling, but don't care for the ride.
    Alan
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12