Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhobbs28 View Post
    I'm the other guy who's boat has cracked. They are finally making it right and building me a new boat but it was a struggle. I'll answer any questions.
    Glad to hear it finally worked out for you. Can you explain the circumstances and why it was such a struggle getting it fixed or replaced?

2. Member
    Where to start? ranger has been a pain to work with through the whole thing they don't return phone calls/emails waited 4 weeks for a phone call back. I had live well leak problems on front and back. the front livewell is fiberglass and thealuminum deck just sits on it with no seal so in rough water it all leaks over the fiberglass and runs down by your feet. livewell pick ups on back of the boat never had hose clamp tightened and was leaking water. the kicker motor wires were so awful the livewell lid would not open let alone the jump seat to be in the up position. Hydraulic steering was a joke cabelas installed some bigger diameter hoses for a little more volume. the bunk on the port side of the trailer was not touching the boat so it rocked during transport. and then finally the splashwell cracks. oh boy. they started within 2 months and then got worse and worse. finally sent it back t ranger wa told 2 weeks and this is when they wouldn't return my phone call for a month. they scabbed it with a new weld and it lasted 1 trip. now I sit here and wait for my new boat with nothing different hopefully it doesn't do the same thing. this whole experience has been a nightmare. I know why the other guy gave up its impossible to deal with anyone. especially since the sold.

For what it's worth as a longtime BBC member, I can vouch for DrHobbs, and all he's been through with his rig. He is definitely not a troll. I just fished out of his rig last night and many other days besides. The other guy with the Talon that is mostly talked about in this thread I have no idea.

I saw the area that Ranger "repaired" after he got it back and it was definitely cracked after the first trip.
    I know this boat gets a lot of fishing time, but it is well-cared for. Spends most of its time in open water so chances of hitting anything are slim. No reason for these cracks.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drhobbs28 View Post
    I know why the other guy gave up its impossible to deal with anyone. especially since the sold.
    Do you mean when they sold you the boat or when the company sold to BPS? Was all this possibly happening during the transition period and all the change over of personnel and management?

I know it has been awhile since I have been on walleye central and I am new to this site. I am the so called keyboard commando, troll, or whatever else people can come up with. I have the Ranger VS1780 with the talon on the back. Just because it was a complete waste to scrap the boat and due to many recommendations I took the boat personally to ranger to get repaired. Nothing was ever hit and it is only pampered. The boat was actually cleaner when I dropped it off at ranger then when I received it brand new. After dropping it off Jan 2016 I finally got it back in May 2016. I thought it was fixed and good to go. I used it 6 times and the aluminum ripped and cracked the welds again. According to lemon law they either replace the boat or reimburse original purchase. I was told I would receive a new hull. I received the new boat in November of 2016 with my old VIN number, my electronics, trolling motor and old outboard. The boat is now a different color due to a change in paint suppliers (cranberry vs bright red). The trolling motor is loose, the gauges are loose, the consoles are loose and wobble. The passenger side storage compartment is not attached to the floor. Thanks to Drhobbs28, I checked the rear compartment and the livewell hose clamp is loose. I have documentation and photos of everything. I have been running everything through ranger so there is no dealer interference. My main goal the entire time is to get the word out there to make people aware, not to totally badmouth the company. Sorry if this is long and people were taking me the wrong way.

For another update to this old thread. After contacting ranger about the problems with the replacement boat, thet sent me a bag full of screws to attach all the loose parts. In the meantime I discovered that the throttle cable is wrapped up in the side compartment and I can barely operate the throttle. I guess I must not be as smart as all the individuals on this forum. I really don't see where ranger is unbelievably great. This boat hasn't been put in the water by me yet and I have a laundry list of repairs. One would think the professionals that water test the boats would have picked up that the throttle is not operative. Not to mention the bag full of debris I pulled out of the hull. If someone has a logical resolution, I'm all ears. This is crazy. Back to my extreme frustration again. Sorry for the vent.
    ​Keith Ericson

Quote Originally Posted by strokenford View Post
    For another update to this old thread. After contacting ranger about the problems with the replacement boat, thet sent me a bag full of screws to attach all the loose parts. In the meantime I discovered that the throttle cable is wrapped up in the side compartment and I can barely operate the throttle. I guess I must not be as smart as all the individuals on this forum. I really don't see where ranger is unbelievably great. This boat hasn't been put in the water by me yet and I have a laundry list of repairs. One would think the professionals that water test the boats would have picked up that the throttle is not operative. Not to mention the bag full of debris I pulled out of the hull. If someone has a logical resolution, I'm all ears. This is crazy. Back to my extreme frustration again. Sorry for the vent.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but when JM bought Ranger, I read on BBC that he moved the manufacturing of the Ranger V-hulls to the Tracker plant. If so, that would explain a lot. BTW, I do not think that any new boat is water tested before being shipped to a dealer.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

So far the hulls have been built just down the road from the fiberglass plant. I don't know about the new released vs1782. As far as the water test, I looked on my gps when I got the replacement boat and there is a track down there in Arkansas. It doesn't look like a lot of run time but it was run.
    ​Keith Ericson

When I picked up my boat after having a hull replacement, the repair shop Supervisor said he had just brought it back from "the pond". My impression was that it is a small impoundment where they can check for leaks and proper operation of livewell, bilge pumps etc.. I have had two occasions to work with the repair shop and both were positive experiences. However, my circumstances are different, I live about 4 hours from the plant, I have a friend that introduced me to the Ranger people that I would be dealing with and my dealer is highly connected and respected inside the Ranger organization. I will say that on the second visit, I observed that several new techs had been added to the repair shop and there were more boats in quae than on my first visit. The people I dealt with were talented and well intentioned but sometimes the worst of circumstance can overwhelm the best of intention.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

It looks to have been run on Bull Shoals lake
    ​Keith Ericson

My best friends transom welds just broke yesterday on his 2 year old ranger. I'm curious to see what happens and what they will do about it.

12. Member
    Looked at the Ranger vs1780 and ended up with the Lowe FS 1710 the money was real close the Lowe had more extras.

Makes me darn proud of my Lowe it built like a tank and maybe I should be glad it has wood in the transom.
    2016 Lowe FS 1710
    2016 Mercury Pro XS 115

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Boy View Post
    My best friends transom welds just broke yesterday on his 2 year old ranger. I'm curious to see what happens and what they will do about it.
    Hope he is taken care of.

I don't think my buddy, Dr Hobbs has been on for awhile. But he does not have his issue fully resolved with Ranger.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123