Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Low Voltage Alarm - Need Advise

2015 Pro XS 200hp serial #2B111932

I had a low voltage alarm go off again. I had the same problem since I've had the boat. I thought it was caused by the stock battery (Interstate grp 27) not being able to handle the load. So during deer season, and since I wasn't running the boat, I put in a Sears PM-1 grp 31. I used the marine battery post connections like Don suggests.

That at brings me to today. The same alarm went off. My SmartCraft gauge was reading 11.2/11.3 volts on the STBD battery. It was reading that same voltage all day but didn't sound the alarm til 3:00 this afternoon.

So, I need some advise on what could be causing this now that I've excluded the battery. The boat and motor is still under warranty if there's a problem but this seems like something simple. Just can't put my finger on it.

Mr. Weed please chime in when you can please sir.
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

2. Member
    Starting battery? 11.3 is low voltage. It should read over 13 on the starting battery while engine running if it is charging properly.
    Keith Broussard Caney Lake, Louisiana
    2000 TR21 2000 Mercury 250 Pro XB OG980775 14" hydro plate

I've got the Minn Kota 345PC and I did change the profile on that bank to agm.
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

4. Member
    That charger charges it 14.4, then float mode is 13.4. My agm start battery will dip below 13 when cranking, then well over 13 while running.
    Keith Broussard Caney Lake, Louisiana
    2000 TR21 2000 Mercury 250 Pro XB OG980775 14" hydro plate

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Shawn- confirm what your RUNNING voltage is (after 5 minute run). If your running voltage is not 12.9 or higher, you very likely have a charging system problem.

Multiple possibilities... some simple tests can confirm the cause.

We could sneak you in anytime Monday-Wednesday.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks Don. I'll give you a call Monday and we'll get something figured out.
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Nice getting to spend a little time with you today- glad we were able to get it corrected so you can get out there on the water!

For those following the thread- Low Voltage condition caused by a blown Fusible Link (lead) on the Alternator Output Lead.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    isnt it 100 amp, what happened ?????

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    isnt it 100 amp, what happened ?????
    My guess would be that the battery leads to the motor got crossed, or charger leads got crossed.

Can't Thank you enough Don. The pleasure was all mine. As for what happened...don't really know. It's a problem I've had since I bought the boat new in May. Polarity got reversed somehow at some point.

Reminder - Torque spec cheat sheet
    Last edited by carolinagreenhead; 12-30-2015 at 10:50 PM.
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely is caused by a reverse-polarity condition. Only takes a fraction of a second.

No telling "when" it happened... so there's no fingers to point. It just "did" happen somewhere, at some time (perhaps even while it was being rigged).

12. Member
    Amazing that the boat was even useable without having a functional charging system.

13. Bob G's pool boy
    Another example of why this board is the best Mercury resource on the net. Thanks to Don and this Savage fellow. You guys are tops.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

14. Member

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Amazing that the boat was even useable without having a functional charging system.
    Yeah, Don and I were talking about that very same thing. He said my battery has never received a charge so it's a wonder I never had to paddle.
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinagreenhead View Post
    Yeah, Don and I were talking about that very same thing. He said my battery has never received a charge so it's a wonder I never had to paddle.
    True. You were only sustaining the batteries life via an onboard, or external charger. I would have been getting towed at the end of the first tournament, unless I ran to one spot only, and never caught a fish .

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    True. You were only sustaining the batteries life via an onboard, or external charger. I would have been getting towed at the end of the first tournament, unless I ran to one spot only, and never caught a fish .
    Shouldn't be an issue now.
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

Last update:
    Boat ran at 14.1 volts all day and ran like a champ.
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

I take it, you didn't have to buy another battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Z518 Comanche View Post
    I take it, you didn't have to buy another battery?
    Nope the battery seems fine. Ran strong all day. It wasn't getting a charge from the motor, just the charger.
    2021 Phoenix 721 Pro XP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast