Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spacers vs new jackplate???

I'm running a 6" manual plate right now and need to get to a 10 setback. Is there any danger associated with adding 4" spacers to mine? Ideally I'd rather just have a new 10" plate but if I find a deal on spacers I'll take that too!! Boat is an 01 tr22.

2. Banned
    Check with the go fast guy on the Stroker, Allison and Bullet pages. I bet someone over there has some experience with spacers... Dan

have ran 2' spacers on a couple of mine.. lots of guys run some a lot bigger.
    have always heard to add them on the transom side of your jackplate if it's more than 1"

I believe Mercury says to not put anything between mtr and jackplate.

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Not a go fast rig, altho I can attain mid 70's, I run 2" spacers on a 6 " plate between the jackplate and engine with no problems.....if it was me I'd go with the plate of your choice.....

5. Member
    Look at Bob's Machine website check out the 4" spacers they cost around $120.00 they work great for adding more offset. Gambler Boats used them for years on their boats. I had them on my Gambler an never had a problem. I ordered a set and added them to my Ranger to give me a total of 10". Add them to the transom and then bolt your jackplate to the offset brackets. They are rated for 300HP.

6. Member
    Can't find the 4 inch version on their website. I see a 4 spacer that tandh makes but it's only rated to 150hp. I'm running a 250. I emailed Bobs so hopefully they'll get back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnabe View Post
    Look at Bob's Machine website check out the 4" spacers they cost around $120.00 they work great for adding more offset. Gambler Boats used them for years on their boats. I had them on my Gambler an never had a problem. I ordered a set and added them to my Ranger to give me a total of 10". Add them to the transom and then bolt your jackplate to the offset brackets. They are rated for 300HP.
    Never heard of 4" spacers that were made by Bob's Machine shop, they do make 2" spacers. I have been wrong before though.

To the OP... You would be putting a lot of additional strain on the mounting bolts if you happen to find 4" spacers. You would probably need 7" bolts to attach the motor to your jackplate. Purchasing a new or used 10" plate would be the safest option with a 250 H.P. engine.
    Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS

8. Member
    Deetwyler used to make 4" extensions that were very strong and worked fine. (I sold mine & went to an 8" extension). 4" extensions mount like stacked jackplates (which you can also do) so you use shorter bolts than transom bolts. Never use long bolts to attach. Use a separate set of bolts for each plate.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Extensions are ok.

Spacers... not something I recommend (and if it's a Merc- Mercury has clearly recommended they NOT be used).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Sorry about my poor wording the gentlemen are correct they are 4" extensions. They kinda look like a non-adjustable jack plate. I purchased a set back in January and added them to my Ranger. If someone will post the picture I will send it to them.
    Last edited by gonnabe; 12-29-2015 at 06:35 AM.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    What kind of plate you running now? I've got backing plates for a Rapid Jack that will take you out to 9".

12. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by #1clemsonfan View Post
    Can't find the 4 inch version on their website. I see a 4 spacer that tandh makes but it's only rated to 150hp. I'm running a 250. I emailed Bobs so hopefully they'll get back to me.
    Bobs Machine Shop calls them a 4" fixed Setback Bracket. Its rated for 300hp. I have them in stock 129.99 Shipped in the U.S. If this is the option you would like to go.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Deetwyler used to make 4" extensions that were very strong and worked fine. (I sold mine & went to an 8" extension). 4" extensions mount like stacked jackplates (which you can also do) so you use shorter bolts than transom bolts. Never use long bolts to attach. Use a separate set of bolts for each plate.
    Exactley----- Even a 2" spacer is pushing it..

14. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    AS long as they are between the transom and the jack plate you are good to go. Do not add them in between the motor brackets and the JP.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    AS long as they are between the transom and the jack plate you are good to go. Do not add them in between the motor brackets and the JP.
    Why not? I had a 60* johnny 150 that had a 6" jack with 4" spacers between the jack and motor.It ran just fine.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTR21 View Post
    Why not? I had a 60* johnny 150 that had a 6" jack with 4" spacers between the jack and motor.It ran just fine.
    Same here. 6"Detwyler against the transom and an 8" detwyler extension between the motor and jackplate. Been running it that way for 12 years now on a 250XS Stroker. I prefer the jackplate against the transom as it usually has more "footprint" against the transom, making it slightly stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Same here. 6"Detwyler against the transom and an 8" detwyler extension between the motor and jackplate. Been running it that way for 12 years now on a 250XS Stroker. I prefer the jackplate against the transom as it usually has more "footprint" against the transom, making it slightly stronger.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Setback plates or brackets that mount with their own dedicated hardware (bracket and hardware properly rated) would certainly be acceptable.

Spacers (that are wedged between surfaces, hanging on the engine or transom mounting hardware) are where the concerns (and potential for problems) stem from.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

19. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    ^^^^^^^^that's what I meant following the reply on the spacers....
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

20. Member
    Bobs makes up to 10 inches. It has to be mounted to boat and plate mounted to that, I just ordered a 8 inch
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast