Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tin Boats - No Built-in Cooler

All tin boats that interest me do not have a built-in cooler. How do you guys manage your cold drinks? Separate cooler? Cooler in one of the compartments?
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

Yes, on my Tracker the back compartment is totally foamed in. It will keep ice all day. At the end just pull the tray out and empty.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

3. Member
    I have a RT-188 and I use the compartment behind the passenger seat as a cooler. It has a drain hole so it works perfectly.
    2014 Ranger RT188 with Mercury 115 four stroke

4. Member
    I keep my cold ones in one of the back storage compartments. Since they are surrounded by foam, with a little ice they keep cool all day, and the plastic liners pull out so you can empty them when you are finished or run out.

YETI!!

6. Member
    My RT178 came with a Igloo Legend 12 that fits perfect in the 4x3700 storage compartments.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

I have NO interest in a built in cooler in a boat. Much rather use the space for storage. I really like and impressed with Polar Bear soft coolers. I have three different sizes and grab the one I need for the day depending on if I have a partner for the day and how long I plan to be out. Sometimes take 2, one for drinks and one for food. I much rather take a cooler in the house and load it than have to take drinks and ice to the boat to put into a fixed cooler. put the soft cooler under the console where it is shaded and they take up no floor space. Keep ice far better than any fixed cooler.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fins View Post
    YETI!!
    This cooler is outrageously expensive YETI still bought it.

9. Banned
    We just use a separate cooler. Plenty of room on the passenger floor for our small cooler.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrc.in.wi View Post
    This cooler is outrageously expensive YETI still bought it.
    I see what you did.

I would prefer that a boat have a compartment that would fit a lifetime cooler (yeti or grizzly) like a glove.

11. Member
    I'll be getting a new boat soon (1-3 months). I have fished out of a ProCraft 165-VB (boat itself is exactly 15' long) for 20 years. It has a cooler in back that is removable and has worked well. I have to move all rods to get to food, buoy markers, rain suit, etc. I think I really want everything not in use to be stored and out of sight so I don't have to step all over things. I do appreciate all replies.
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

I don't use it but on the Ranger the rear compartments are surrounded by foam and will do fine as a cooler and have ice left at the end of the day....

The Ranger comes with an Igloo cooler that fits it if you want. I don't use it either.

Like Skeeter, I like a separate cooler in the shade under the console.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

My Xpress has two compartments at the rear, 1 port , 1 stbd they both drain to the bilge, I fill one up with ice and use that.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

14. Member
    On my Tracker, I use the small compartment behind the drivers seat to keep drinks. Super simple.

15. Member
    The Ranger rp 190 had the yeti cooler spot right in front of the center console. I would have one, but they were on back order when I bought the boat. Should be arriving soon.

16. Member
    12391980_10153106797886504_1274842732538069838_n.jpg

Right there in front. There is also a kit to essential bolt it to the deck.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I don't use it but on the Ranger the rear compartments are surrounded by foam and will do fine as a cooler and have ice left at the end of the day....

The Ranger comes with an Igloo cooler that fits it if you want. I don't use it either.

Like Skeeter, I like a separate cooler in the shade under the console.

Although I do use a 45 Qt. Yeti that sits right in the center beside console, I admit your very correct about the rear compartments ability to hold ice for a long time. Last summer, we stopped at store to buy ice & drinks, filled the Yeti up, and had almost a full bag of ice left over, not wanting to waste the ice, I dumped it into the rear storage compartment, a Full day and half later, still had ice, this was 3rd week of June, with boat sitting tied up at dock during midday heat. I was very surprised.

18. Member
    On a tracker, you can drill a hole through one of the back small plastic compartments; it will keep ice all day and drain in the bilge.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by contium View Post
    My RT178 came with a Igloo Legend 12 that fits perfect in the 4x3700 storage compartments.
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and we have three choices to place that cooler. Love the storage/deck layout on my boat.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and we have three choices to place that cooler. Love the storage/deck layout on my boat.
    Yep it is nice.
    2015 RT178 - 75HP Mercury Four Stroke

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast