Thread: RT188 Rod boxes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RT188 Rod boxes

Couple questions about the rod boxes. Ranger's site has conflicting details about the length, their main page for the 188 says 8'6" storage and the specs page says 8'; so which is it? And an annoyance with the rod box is the tubes, has anybody taken them out? I'm curious if the foam is molded around the tubes or if it is boxed in aluminum which surrounds the tubes. Thanks in advance.

Oh and another side note is livewell size. Watched the aluminum factory tour and he said 30 gallon, he also said rod box of 8'6" so that makes me wonder if it actually is 30 gallons.

2. Member
    8'6" rods will fit. The foam does not go all the way to the bow. There are a few guys on here that have removed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbp View Post
    8'6" rods will fit. The foam does not go all the way to the bow. There are a few guys on here that have removed them.
    +1. There isnt any foam around the rod tubes at the front its very open up in there actually. Pretty sure its been modified by someone on here. I believe Tampajim calculated the capacity of the livewell via its size and it wasnt 30 gallons.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

4. Member
    In my 2014 you can barely fit an 8ft rod, because of the tube. If you removed the tubes, or cut the end off, you could probably get a 9ft rod in there. The tubes are not foamed in there, but I'm not sure if I'd advise removing them. The bow area is unfinished and wouldn't want rod tips bouncing around up there. Plus I think the bracket that holds them has some structural purpose.

5. Banned
    You can get 16 rods in the tubes.

If you removed them, you would have to manufacture a box of some kind. The front of boat is not foam filled. There is a open fuse box under the TM foot pedal and sharp edged aluminum at the nose of boat.

6. Member
    Thanks for the input. I told the dealer that gave me a quote on the ranger that the crestliner dealer quoted me a number 4k less for a boat with identical features and he is going to come back with another offer so that is what started this thought. I had made a list of pros and cons and that rod box was a con for the ranger. I use rod socks on my rods (15) so the rod tubes seem like they would be more of a hassle. I would probably remove it and take a look at what I'm dealing with and likely line the box with carpet of some type for extra tip protection.

7. Member
    Actual H2O volume in the live well is just under 21 gallons.
    There is a bit of "empty" volume above the water level, but not too terribly much.
    And, IMO, the space above the H2O is terribly irrelevant, fish don't live there.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Actual H2O volume in the live well is just under 21 gallons.
    There is a bit of "empty" volume above the water level, but not too terribly much.
    And, IMO, the space above the H2O is terribly irrelevant, fish don't live there.
    Wow, That's a big difference between the '30 gal' advertised. The Trackers advertise a 16 gallon I wonder what theirs actually is
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gofish42189 View Post
    In my 2014 you can barely fit an 8ft rod, because of the tube. If you removed the tubes, or cut the end off, you could probably get a 9ft rod in there. The tubes are not foamed in there, but I'm not sure if I'd advise removing them. The bow area is unfinished and wouldn't want rod tips bouncing around up there. Plus I think the bracket that holds them has some structural purpose.
    Mine is the same way. I don't even try to put my 8ft swim bait rods in the box. Never thought of cutting the ends off.

I can fit a 8 foot rod only in the top tube holes and probably could fit one in the bottom tube holes if I removed the handle brackets in the rear of the rod box. . The rod box is already carpeted till it stops where the tube holes begin which then is open to the whole underside of the front desk. So taking the rod tubes out opens up a whole new ball game in protecting your rods I would think.
    2015 Ranger RT188 (white) * 2015 Etec 115 * Minn Kota Fortrex #80 * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N @ Helix 12 G4N on bow * Humminbird Helix 12 MSI GPS G3N at console * M360-MEGA Live
    Blue Water LED Red Deck Lights, LED White Light in Rod Box & Trailer Backup Lights * V-T2 Live Well Vents * Lew's Rod and Reels. Cool Foot pad on t/ motor .

Thats a good point if the tubes were removed an insert would have to be made to keep the rods in the center. Not impossible by any means tho. The Trackers have a carpeted floor with sides that runs up to the bow. Something similar custom made could certainly be done.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

That would be a cool option if they would offer it from the factory, rod tubes or an open rod box.

13. Member
    This is going to be my June project this year. I going to install tubes or open system of some type to us the compartment for rods. The co angler side compartment will be the rod locker. The center rod locker will become the tackle compartment . Driver side compartment will be the life vest and etc.....

I wished I would have taken a picture of the tubes when I had the trolling motor tray off. They are formed with a slight upward curve to conform to the bottom of the boat. Without this curve, the rod tips and the butt will be the only things touching. You can put 2 baitcasting rods per tube, but I don't think 2 spinning rods would fit.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

I wonder if you could just put a tarp down in there to cover the jagged stuff and lay your rods on that if you pulled the tubes out. I know it's lazier but I just wonder if you could use something soft instead of fabbing a whole box.

16. Papap
    I bet you would have to be real careful not to break rod tips without the tubes.
    2016 Ranger RT188
    Suzuki 115SS
    80# Fourtrex
    Lowrance HDS 10 & 9

Quote Originally Posted by jc1234 View Post
    I wished I would have taken a picture of the tubes when I had the trolling motor tray off.

AND WANTED TO ADD ANOTHER...though not rod related...

----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post

Looks like a good method would be small screws or epoxy to hold marine carpet on the bottom, and then repeat that process on the top. Wouldn't look pretty underneath but it would be out of site unless you went looking anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post

What is that large hole next to the trolling motor mount for?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

20. Papap
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    What is that large hole next to the trolling motor mount for?

The he big hole is where the trolling motor foot controls goes.
    2016 Ranger RT188
    Suzuki 115SS
    80# Fourtrex
    Lowrance HDS 10 & 9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast