May Have to Call Garmin Mounting PS-30 on a V hull

In the instructions says the ps-30 should be mounted as close to the center as possible and looks like it needs to be level with the water/surface.

How does one accomplish this on a V or semi V hull transom the flat is on the each side about 6" towards the center on each side.

Anyone have ideas on this one.

Yes, it needs to be mounted level, with the surface of the xducer below the water line. Post pics of your transom if you need further details.
    Garmin Pro Team

3. Banned
    Not sure about the Lowrance board but there is a sticky at the top of the Humminbird board with a lot of install pics. You can also look at youtube for walleye workshop videos. Both those guys run v-hull and show how they installed their transducers. Brand makes no difference.

4. Member
    Fish food the panoptix is a different animal. Spoke to a Garmin Tech yesterday actually two of them. Here are the issues.

1) The transducer for the P-30 has to be horizontal on the back of the transom, the transducer is six inches long. As recommended in the instructions the bottom of the transducer needs to extend just below the bottom of the hull and close to centerline as possible out of reach of the prop. So if looking at the back of the boat from left to right. If I extend the left edge just below the hull as recommended the right edge will be a 1" above the bottom of the hull. As the tech said this would block a big part of the transducer and its readings. If I reverse and have the right edge just below the hull, the left edge will hang down almost a inch from the bottom of the hull. Based on the angle of a semi v

2) Both of the above instances prevent enough surface area on either end to attach securely.

3) The tech saw what I meant and is ins the process of talking to engineering to design a bracket possibly to put the transducer out from the transom so not lose forward signals

Searched you tube as you recommended for installation instructions none for the p-30 if I missed it appreciate sending me a link.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Yes, it needs to be mounted level, with the surface of the xducer below the water line. Post pics of your transom if you need further details.
    Would love to but for some reason this site won't allow me to post them

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post
    Brand makes no difference.
    it certainly does for a ps30 cause no one else makes one

7. Member
    Fish food in 99% of the applications the ducer brand doesn't make a difference. But each brand has ways to mount to maximize performance again the p-30 is a different animal unless Garmin makes some innovations most semi or V hulls won't allow placement close to center line, instead on the outside starboard and port side flat edge if available.

Could limit sales in some markets.

It goes without saying fishfood appreciate your willingness to help..though

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeguyus View Post
    Would love to but for some reason this site won't allow me to post them
    sign up for photobucket and upload them. or email them to me and ill post them for you

9. Banned
    LOL ....... I was thinking something else entirely.

10. Member
    This is an old thread but wondering about mounting my ps30 out at the edge of my v hull where it has a reverse chine (I think that’s what it’s called) and is somewhat flat. Obviously that changes the display from centerline of the boat, but other than that is there any major drawback doing this VS trying to mount centerline? Maybe for using QuickDraw?

11. Member
    Mine is mounted on the starboard side of transom. Now I wish I had mounted it on the port side since I fish mostly from that side. I don't know about the quickdraw. For a while I was really into Quickdraw but then Garmin came out with a map for my lake. Some people think the transducer needs to be located near the GPS.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

12. Member
    I ended up mounting mine port side on my Princecraft Hudson 190 V bottom. It is located left of the center area between the reverse chine and the boat center line (more towards the port side of the boat versus the center). It took a little playing to adjust the depth and transducer angle to balance the left side of the transducer that is deeper in the water than the right to find a depth to enable the forward read along while not causing a rooster tail. I fish primarily shallow water from 10' to 25' and it provides the rear coverage that I was looking for while running the PS22 and LS on the trolling motor. It may not be the most ideal location when comparing it to one mounted near the center line on a bass boat or for use in deeper water, but it does give me rear coverage where I still can cast to fish that pass under me or when they have occasionally approached from the rear when stationary.

13. Member
    Yeah the QuickDraw is not ideal having the transducer be 10-20ft from the gps. I’m surprised Garmin doesn’t offer a software offset. If you have a steadycast so they know boat direction this seems like it would be possible.

maybe the centerline of the boat is just to help with the beam potentially getting clipped by the hull since it shoots forward also, unlike other transducers

14. Member
    Does anybody know how wide the transmit angle is in side imaging? 170 degrees or so? Still trying to find the best mounting spot for the ps30 but don’t want it to interfere with with the side scan.

15. Member
    Near 180+. I say that because of how low mine is mounted and at some near distances it shows objects floating on the surface. At farther distances though it doesn't show them. It's tough mounting both PS30 and combo transducer on transom. I put the GT50 up under the step and the PS30 on the transom.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

16. Member
    I like the idea of mounting my gt30 under the step so there is more room for the ps30. Mine doesn’t have much of a step though. Do they make a “flush” mount for the ps30? I’m thinking something like how the trolling motor mounts work but not curved.

could you post a picture of how yours is mounted under the step?

17. Member
    Sorry meant to say flush mount for the gt30

18. Member
    Here is the one I used. I just rotated the long part 90 degrees back under the other bracket before tightening it. Perfectly matched my step.
    Attached Images Attached Images