Using my Verado in the winter

Just wondering how long I gotta let her warm up before getting up on plane. I don't see me going super fast on a day like today (14 degrees right now). Any other tips I should know about before heading out?

2. Member
    when I had mine, and I used it year around in NVA and launched many times in 17 degree weather, my rule of thumb and I had read it somewhere is never take off, any season, before 130 degree's.

3. Member
    Let it warm up for a very long time, drain the motor completely at the ramp when done. Also when your dropped in the water, let the water pump "defrost" for a minute or so.

When you get into the throttle for that first run of the day don't mash the throttle down and run a WOT hot lap. Easy in easy out, after a good first heat cycle, she'll be good to go. Tough to run 60 when it's 20* though.

CLOSED GAMEFISHING SEASONS IN WI HAS NO BIOLOGICAL CREEDENCE!!!

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good advise above.

A Smartcraft Instrument (displaying Engine Temp) would be very useful in this situation.

However... you WON'T always get a Verado to reach 130 after a cold start. In some cases... 110-120 is all you're going to get (sounds strange, but I can assure you with SOME of them this is ACCURATE).

Make CERTAIN you drain the water from the engine (full down) until none remains.

Then when you get home, PART it in the full-down position.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Another minor thing, I do like to get the oil temps up. Really cold temps and long idle times on all four stroke motors can lead to oil dilution. It is always a good idea to make a nice 10-15min medium hard run (5000-5000 partially trimmed down run) to get those oil temps up to burn off excess fuel in the oil. This isn't necessary, but is a nice way to keep the oil fresh for a longer period of time specially in cold temps.

CLOSED GAMEFISHING SEASONS IN WI HAS NO BIOLOGICAL CREEDENCE!!!

6. Member
    So you pretty much watch your gauges and make sure the Temps are up.... I have the bubble and they really don't do much in terms of blocking the elements so I don't see me going fast in the winter lol! I do see me getting on plane and going at slower cruising speed tho

4 stroke engines are some strange birds. Never realized the amount if blow by in engines before this. Part of combustion that is hidden most aren't aware of. Not just big motors either. My little 9.9 makes oil too.

8. Member
    I went out Saturday in the freezing early morning temps. I let it warm up to 120*, before I took off. It took about 5 - 10 minutes. It never got above 122* all day.

9. Member
    Really appreciate the feedback. My temps around here aren't even winter temps right now lol!! I am looking forward to long-lining for some 'eyes next week! Thanks again for the input!!