Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    Here is a link to information including a link at the bottom to download the user manual. http://www.pacifictrailers.com/The-V...cation-System/
    Thanks

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

2. Member
    It's almost like doing a normal hub with the exception of it takes a special tool to reinstall cap without damaging it. Tool is made out of pvc. It only contacts the outer diameter of the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Just curious. Say for example you check for play in the bearings and there is some on the Vault system. How much of a pain is it to tighten then up some or how difficult is it to take them apart? Is the grease available for sale?
    Per the Vault web page:

SERVICE

The VAULT does not usually require any service. If you believe service is
    required, you must contact UFP prior to performing any work that would be
    covered under warranty.

BEARING CHECK

If the bearings need to be adjusted or replaced, you must contact UFP first. We will help diagnose the problem and send instructions to assure that the work is
    done correctly. Failure to contact UFP before the work is begun will void the
    warranty. Wheel bearings have been precisely torque-set at the factory. To assure your bearings are in good working order, we suggest you check your bearing
    adjustment at least once a year by following this procedure. Jack up on side of the trailer (make sure you use jack stands and chock the trailer wheels to keep
    the trailer from moving). Grip the edge of the tire and see if you can rock or move it. If you can move the outer edge of the tire more than 1/8”, your bearings
    may need to be re-adjusted. Contact UFP for warranty instructions.
    Last edited by AlumRanger; 12-20-2015 at 09:25 PM.
    Think what would happen in this country if the many stopped fearing the few.

2015 RT 178 w/70hp Yamaha.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    I put about 2000-2500 miles per year on my trailer, so I'd guess my trailer has about 5000-6500 miles on it, have never done anything to the hubs, every time I pull off road I always put my hand on the to feel for heat, always cool to the touch.
    No heat on mine also. If they leak , back to the dealer under warranty. Going to increase mine to 10 years.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Yea Rangers had them since they came out i think. Optional kn the Tritons I believez
    Triton trailers have Vault hubs as Standard Feature also.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    My last two glass boats had the oil dip type of hubs no maintenance for 10 years. So I'm assuming this is not the same kind. The type I'm talking about is also the system you would find on a semi tractor trailer. It's oil and no grease involved. The ones you're talking about is it a pressure sealed with grease?
    Vault hubs are oil bath. Not sure what Panama is referring too. I believe that it is a sealed bearing also. With lifetime oil. It's not a system that's designed to be opened up. Most people I've talked too say when it does go bad axle replacement is usually required.
    Last edited by mrc.in.wi; 12-21-2015 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrc.in.wi View Post
    Vault hubs are oil bath. Not sure what Panama is referring too. I believe that it is a sealed bearing also. With lifetime oil. It's not a system that's designed to be opened up. Most people I've talked too say when it does go bad axle replacement is usually required.
    We are talking about the same stuff.... I was going by a couple of things and "technically" probably just called it the wrong thing. This is from the owner's manual to get technical... UFP calls it a "hybrid oil that combines the properties of oil and grease" ---- UFP actually calls it an oil in most of their literature...but it looks like grease and is in a grease gun tube. Maybe that's where the "hybrid" comes in. It is not like the oil filled hubs I have seen before.

It actually seems more like a grease to me. I have had other Ranger boats that had the older style oil bath type hubs that I think Glenn is referring to... The older Ranger hub oil is very liquid and you pour it into the hub like adding oil or rear end fluid to a car and it comes in a plastic bottle. I think this is the oil bath type like a lot of heavy rigs have. It is very liquid and maybe about like a heavy weight oil.
    The UFP stuff is not the same.

I ordered a replacement hub for use in a bad emergency if I was out in the boonies so I would have parts for someone to fix it after calling UFP. When I ordered this I ordered some lubricant from them for the assembly. It does not come in a bottle like oil - it comes in a tube like for use in a grease gun. It is not the same typical oil bath hubs with a sightglass in the hub where you can see the oil sloshing around like Ranger used to use...... This stuff is in a long typical grease gun tube where you pop the end off like a typical grease gun uses. When it warms up it turns oily and flows around the bearings.... But they refer to it as an oil.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

I have to admit I didn't know my trailer had em till I was laying on the floor with a grease gun this year looking for the damn grease zerk lol. After 20 minutes of not finding one I googled

9. Member
    It's a grease to a certain temp. When it gets to that temp it becomes an oil. When it cools back down turns in to a grease again. They can be serviced easily it just isn't required very often.

Triton trailers have Vault hubs as Standard Feature also.
    You are correct my mistake.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

It is explained as a grease that turns to oil with heat. There are some engine assembly lubes that so the same thing once the engine is warmed up it turns to oil. We use them at work on the buses. The link posted earlier explains alot. I learned alot there as Im not familiar with these hubs. Sounds like any issues you have to contact the, before you do anything if you want to keep your warranty to. Sounds like a nice system tho. I think keeping a spare hub for long trips like Panama suggested is a good idea we have a spare hub assembly for ours as well for an emergency and i have another set of bearings and races in the parts drawer at home for when needed. Different system tho I clean and repack every 2 years for my own peace of mind.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Not a whole lot different than a conventional hub, bearing, spindle setup with a bearing buddy style spring loaded end cap. Difference is in the viscosity of the grease used and I am sure the seals because of the grease viscosity. The secret is in the through lubrication and heat dissipation of the liquid grease. Thus it can be sealed up longer. Looks like maintenance would be straight forward the same as any standard hub, remove the spindle castle nut and pull it off. Will need correct replacement seals, bearings, and grease and there may be a special tool to reattach the end cap and not damage it. Doesn't look like it will withstand hammering back into place. They call it a pressurized system but I see no means to add pressure unless you are going to reassemble it in a hyperbaric chamber. I think they are just saying it develops pressure as it runs and heats.

13. Member
    The bearings are packed like conventional bearings then the cap filled with the grease. When the cap is installed on the hub the space it displaces after the seal is made is what pressurizes it.

Well.. I've got a step by step picture of how you service these but I guess the picture is to big to work..
    Last edited by Ranger RT; 02-01-2017 at 09:44 PM.
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger RT View Post
    Well.. I've got a step by step picture of how you service these but I guess the picture is to big to work..
    That would be a handy thing to have. If you will email it to me I will see if I can upload it to Photobucket and post it here. stcb @ bellsouth.net (remove the spaces).

16. Member
    I'd be interested in a copy
    2016 Ranger RT178 white
    75 4S Merc, VesselView Mobile
    Simrad Go7, Baystar hydro, SpitFire X7 17p

17. Banned

Pretty simple, good to have the instructions regarding the grease fitting explained before hand. But leaves a lot out. Are the bearings hand replaceable or do they come pressed into the hub? Shouldn't they be hand packed before hand? What about the rear seal, is it proprietary?

19. Member
    Here's some more info on these hubs including torque specs and seal part numbers.
    https://www.pacifictrailers.com/page...ication-system

20. Member
    Needing a new axle for my 14 ranger trail , 14 rt 178. Want something a little beefier. Dont have the trailer closeby and i need blhubface measurement and lug pattern. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast