2000 ranger 520 jackplate and prop setup

I just installed a 6" rite hite manual jackplate on my boat and two 10' blades. Took it to the lake yesterday, dialed it in for top end. It's got a 225 opti and couldn't get anymore than 57.5 mph out of it loaded down with two people. Bout the same is what I got out of it before. Runnin a 25 p tempest 3 blade. Worst part was the hole shot! What a disaster! With no jack plate it came out of the hole pretty good. Now just a disaster with water blowing over the back when I set down! Somebody please help

Quote Originally Posted by B. Hop View Post
    I just installed a 6" rite hite manual jackplate on my boat and two 10' blades. Took it to the lake yesterday, dialed it in for top end. It's got a 225 opti and couldn't get anymore than 57.5 mph out of it loaded down with two people. Bout the same is what I got out of it before. Runnin a 25 p tempest 3 blade. Worst part was the hole shot! What a disaster! With no jack plate it came out of the hole pretty good. Now just a disaster with water blowing over the back when I set down! Somebody please help
    Are you starting at 3.5 inches under the pad. I had the same setup and would do 65/67 at 5500/5650 rpms. I now have a 250 proxs
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade

3. Member
    Welcome to the forum, bhop. What rpm at top speed? What is prop to pad distance?
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsauger View Post
    Welcome to the forum, bhop. What rpm at top speed? What is prop to pad distance?
    Im settin about 3 1/4" lower from pad to center of prop. As I was tryin to set this up the other day, I was getting my top speed out of 55 to 5600 rpm. About 57.5 mph on my lowrance. If I trimmed it out any more, I was getting bout 5700 rpm but losing mph. Just to make sure yer clear the prop is 3 1/4" lower than pad.

5. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=62660 . Read this then go back and remeasure your prop to pad. With the blades you may have to go down to a 24" tempest but something else is wrong now because a 25" tempest turning 5500 should be getting you more than 55. 64 is more like it. Your showing 29% slip with your setup now so your probably too high or that tempest is bad or both.

6. Member
    I tried going lower from there in probably 1/4" to 1/2" increments to where I was prob 1 1/2" lower than I am right now. I do have a fairly dinged up prop. My buddy has a 24" fury. Could I try that route? I bought the boat last year off a buddy and never really was impressed with the speed of it!

7. Member
    29% slip is pretty bad so the damaged prop is probably why your only getting 55. Try the fury if it's in good shape and at least get some good numbers.

8. Member
    Just remeasured prop to pad again and the exact # is 3". I know that a dinged up prop is a big player, but 6 mph? Just new at this prop stuff! Just curious ! Tryin to learn something.

9. Member
    3" under is too high drop it down 1/2" and try it.

10. Member
    Gonna try to get it on the lake today. I'll let u know what happens. Thanks fer the help

11. Member
    That damaged prop may head you in the right direction but getting it repaired would help you more than anything. Your trying to get set up using a prop that you already know is screwed up. Better to get some good numbers with it and have it repaired before spending a lot of time fooling with it.

12. Member
    Before you mess with motor height, one thing to check is your power poles. Especially if they use a jackplate mount. I added a Talon to my boat this spring and it killed my holeshot. I ended up raising both the bracket and the Talon itself as high as they'll go and it made a drastic improvement. This might be irrelevant, I'm never messes with power poles but it is something you should check if they are similar to my Talon. The mounting bracket just plows into the water if it's too low.

13. Member
    Finally got it set up! My buddy gave me a new 25 tempest plus to try yesterday. He spent about 4 hrs with me on the lake trying to get it right. Now I'm getting 65 mph, decent hole shot tournament loaded! Thanks to Brett Winegardner and everyone helping on bbc.

This post can be removed. Thanks bbc
    Last edited by B. Hop; 12-18-2015 at 06:56 AM.

14. Member
    Where did your numbers end up? 3.5 below the pad?

Quote Originally Posted by B. Hop View Post
    Finally got it set up! My buddy gave me a new 25 tempest plus to try yesterday. He spent about 4 hrs with me on the lake trying to get it right. Now I'm getting 65 mph, decent hole shot tournament loaded! Thanks to Brett Winegardner and everyone helping on bbc.

This post can be removed. Thanks bbc
    That sounds about right
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade