Mercury FourStroke Fuel/Water Separator Question....

Good Afternoon All,

I have a Mercury 115hp FourStroke on an RT188. I was researching the maintenance for the motor and happened to see articles relating to fuel/water separators. Digging through the forum I find many references to OptiMax having an on-board separator; however, I am unable to locate information on the Four strokes models. Based on what I have read concerning ethanol fuels best practice would be to have a fuel/water separator installed. I would like to err on the side of caution and install one. I have a few questions and I am looking for advice.

I am considering a RACOR 320R-RAC-02 or RACOR 320R-RAC-02 with clear bowl. The vest install location appears to be inside the bilge compartment starboard side since the fuel line follows the same path.

1. Does a Mercury 115hp FourStroke have a built-in fuel/water separator?
    2. If one is added I prefer RACOR 320R-RAC-02 with clear bowl however, since I am installing it in a compartment will that be a problem? The documentation states that it is for outboard use and part number RACOR 320R-RAC-01 with aluminum bowl is for outboard/inboard use. Are the terms inboard/outboard used to describe the motor location or the mounting location?
    3. Best I can tell the Mercury FourStroke consumes 10.6 GPH. Both filters are rated for 60GPH. Avoiding sharp turns or kinks, 60GPH would be adequate correct?

Thanks in advance.

Racor Ref.
    http://www.parker.com/literature/Rac...RAC_Series.pdf

I recommend you take your question to the Mercury Engine or Mercury 4 stroke forums and let Don Weed, certified Mercury Master Technician advise you.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to provide your serial number when you post on the Mercury 4-stroke Forum (required to properly identify WHICH engine you have, and what filtration it utilizes).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks! Will do.