The Journey To Phoenix (Long Read and Pic Heavy)

Post #1…..First let me start by saying THANK YOU to BBC Forums and everyone on the BBC Phoenix Forum! Hope I don’t bore you guys too much.

I little about myself: I’ve been married for 23 years to the most awesome wife and have 2 amazing sons. A 22 year old in college on a baseball scholarship and a 17 year old high school senior that may be changing from college baseball hopes to college fishing hopes (due to a recent arm injury).

Up until 2001 I fished a good bit and participated in club tournaments. My last bass boat was a 1989 Hydro Sport VS175 with a Johnson GT150. In 2001 I had an opportunity with my job to move my family to a new location. With the move and job demands, I ended up working way too many hours to really learn the new area for fishing. So, the boat sat unused. About a year or so later work settled down a little and did not require as many “extra” hours. Good thing….because the boys were getting to the age where they wanted to play competitive travel sports (especially baseball). So…again not very much time for fishing (which I was perfectly ok with). Last time the Hydro Sport was out, the power pack went out. Since it was not being used very much, I did not fix it right away. Right away tuned into about 14 years with a small tree growing in the boat J. I could never find the heart to get rid of my bass boat even though she had passed away.

About 3 years ago my youngest son started getting into fishing local ponds with friends and really enjoyed it. He’s either playing baseball, watching sports, fishing, or watching fishing videos and reading articles. He joined the high school fishing team his junior year and fished tournaments that did not interfere with baseball. That got me back into wanting a new boat but, baseball was still the higher priority for time and finances. Early (like in January) 2015 we discussed this would probably be our last year (summer and fall) of travel baseball with the youngest graduating high school in 2016. So, I set out on a quest for a new boat.

The quest started at the Bass Master Classic in February 2015. I had an idea what I wanted but, figured every boat manufacture would be at the Expo for me to get actual hands-on. I was right….and dragged my wife to every boat booth there and saw a lot of great boats. Turns out, our last booth on the tour was the Phoenix booth. Right then and there we feel in love and I said the Phoenix 618 was going to be my next boat. Brought the brochure home and it’s been pinned to my cubicle wall at work with the 618 Pro page open (still to this day).

Now that brings me to you guys. I started researching the Phoenix and came across the BBC Phoenix forum. Countless hours this year have been spent reading and searching Phoenix Boats. Co-workers (I’m sure) are tired of me talking about boats. J I could not find anything bad on the Phoenix boat, which drove me into a frenzy waiting for the day.

Well, fall baseball ended in October, so the real search and decisions began. Had been looking at inventory for a couple local dealers web sites. Well…finally called Foothills Marine about a new 2015 Phoenix 618 they had in stock (turns out it was one of the last 2015 618s I could find anywhere). We talked about the 2015, possibility of ordering a 2016 (with my color choice/options) and pricing for each. Really like the idea of picking my own colors but, additional cost (2015 vs. 2016) and delay of getting it had me leaning toward the 2015 in stock. While discussing with my wife that evening my son came in with a disappointing look saying his high school fishing partner’s dad said he had too much to do for the weekend and would not be able to captain for the upcoming tournament. Well…..that made the decision right there. I told my wife this would not happen again. Next morning, called Foothills Marine back and started the process for the 2015 Phoenix 618 Pro in stock.

Picked her up on November 6th. Got home after dark and myyoungest son and I worked till after midnight getting things loaded into the boat for its maiden voyage the next morning. I knew the weather was not going to be good but, a hurricane could not have kept us from that voyage. Spent about 3 hours on the maiden voyage covering about 15 miles in a torrential downpour and caught 6 fish. Three for each of us but, cannot live down that he caught the first one in the Phoenix.

Since picking her up, she’s been out 5 times covering over 150 miles of water. One trip, a high school tournament with over 50 boats. My guess is I have about 3 hours of break-in on the motor now. Numbers I’ve seen so far really don’t tell a good story. Fastest so far has been 63.3 (GPS). All trips so far, the boat has been pretty much maxed out on load (including 2 trips with 3 people). I’ve been keeping a full tank of gas and my youngest is not going to let the boat leave the house without him. And…let’s just say my boys and I aren’t featherweights (5’10” @230, 6’2” @230, and 6’4” @210). Last trip out had the 3 of us, touched 62.5 (probably around 5600 RPMs) but, still not pushing too hard or too long. Running factory setup with 24p tempest plus. I’ve not checked the PTP.

There’s so much I love about my new 618…..Ride, Quality, Features, Looks, Comfort, Phamily, just to name a few. Can’t say enough about how excited I am to finally be part of the Phoenix Phamily! I can’t be more pleased and looking forward to many years with the Phamily!!!!

Special THANKS to Phoenix, Foothills Marine, Iguana Grafix and of course, BBC.

So here she is:
    Phoenix 618 Pro with a Mercury 175 Pro XS Optimax-24p Tempest Plus
    Phoenix Red / White / Black Silver / Silver Pins
    Upgraded to MinnKota Fortrex 80 24v Trolling Motor
    Upgraded Lowrance Elite 7 Chirp Flush In Console
    Upgraded Lowrance Elite 7 Chirp Flush At Bow
    Lowrance HDS Transducer In-Hull
    MinnKota MK330 3-Bank On-Board Charger
    Ratchet Trailer Tie Downs
    10” Z-LOCK Aluminum Jack Plate
    “Phoenix” Laser Cut Step Pads on Trailer
    Upgraded to Trailer Bow Steps
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Awesome story, congratulations on the new rig. Son catches first fish, how great is that! You're a lucky dad.

EB

Good deal man. Welcome. That's a good looking boat.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

4. Member
    Very nice looking boat. You made a great choice it's beautiful

5. Member
    Welcome to the board and great looking boat! Your story really resonates with me. I've owned a boat for many years but decided I would sell in 2013 because the boat I had needed use and upgrade and my family did not want to go. My wife suggested I get a replacement so I did (618 bird) but not surprising I still only use it about 4 to 5 trips a year. Just too many tennis and gymnastics tournaments in the spring to get out. So after reality sits in, I start to feel some remorse because the boat does not get used enough.

In Nov I was fishing with my Dad who is coming off total shoulder replacement in June. We caught fish all week in bunches and he was thrilled. It took me a little thinking to realize that most (maybe all) of the great fishing action I have had in the last 10 years was without him. He was always watching my kids or unable to cast very far if he was with me. What I realized from this is that it is about the quality of the memories not how many times the boat leaves the garage. I could easily be dead by the time I have enough time to go out weekly.

Good for you realizing you were missing things
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

6. Member
    Congratulations and welcome to the Phamily...

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

7. Member
    Congrats!! nice looking rig
    Jonathan Ohlmansiek
    2013 Phoenix 619
    Indiana

Congrats and welcome!! The 618 I had took my sin through 3 Missouri TBF titles, sounds like you are on your way to many great memories with your son in your 618. It's a fantastic rig that can do it all!!!

She's a Purdy one as well!!

9. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Nice, I see you were up at the Foothills, I spent a day up there in the back room crawling around in every boat and taking pictures.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

Congrats!
    2016 Phoenix 619 Pro / Mercury 200 Pro XS

11. Member
    The guys at Foothills took really good care of me! I'd recommend them to anyone in the market.

2015 Phoenix 618 Pro / Mercury 175 Pro XS Optimax / MinnKota Fortrex 80 / Lowrance Elite 7 Chirp Flush In Console and Bow

12. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Yep even though I was dealing with them at Morganton they hooked me up with a test drive at lake Norman because it was a shorter drive for me. The Guys at the Mooresville were also great and very helpful with my questions.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    Yep even though I was dealing with them at Morganton they hooked me up with a test drive at lake Norman because it was a shorter drive for me. The Guys at the Mooresville were also great and very helpful with my questions.
    Do they have tackle shop at the Mooresville location? In Morganton, they offered 1 "shopping" day at their tackle store when I picked up my boat where they gave me about 20% off. Guess I got a little too excited shopping. My wife was not very trilled when I wrote that receipt in the checkbook.

2015 Phoenix 618 Pro / Mercury 175 Pro XS Optimax / MinnKota Fortrex 80 / Lowrance Elite 7 Chirp Flush In Console and Bow

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TCHTiger View Post
    Do they have tackle shop at the Mooresville location? In Morganton, they offered 1 "shopping" day at their tackle store when I picked up my boat where they gave me about 20% off. Guess I got a little too excited shopping. My wife was not very trilled when I wrote that receipt in the checkbook.
    Just tell her that it makes up for all the shoes she has bought.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Edwards View Post
    Just tell her that it makes up for all the shoes she has bought.
    LOL

16. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    No Tackle at Mooresville, but I will be sure to check out the one at Morganton when I pick up my boat, I spent the day there and didn't even see it because I stayed in the back room playing in the boats. Ok and I set my wife up with a nice Hotel room to hang out in while I was there and took her out for Sushi that night.
    info@drewcraft.com

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    No Tackle at Mooresville, but I will be sure to check out the one at Morganton when I pick up my boat, I spent the day there and didn't even see it because I stayed in the back room playing in the boats. Ok and I set my wife up with a nice Hotel room to hang out in while I was there and took her out for Sushi that night.
    That was a good plan.....go ahead and order more Sushi now for trip to pick up the new 919.