Thread: Merc 115 4s

Merc 115 4s

I thought I had seen a thread about a 20 hr service for these motors, but can't find it now. I've got about 15 hours on it and am wondering what or if I need to do to it. I didn't find anything in the manual about it either.

2. Banned
    Most 4 strokes get an oil change and the lower unit grease changed at 20 hours. You could go ahead and get it done at 15 hours--or wait until 20 hours.

I just did the job myself--in 30 minutes--since I had no issues with the motor.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    20 hour service is RECOMMENDED (as stated above), but is not a MANDATORY service in terms of warranty guidelines.

In determining whether or not you're going to do it, think of this service as an "investment" in the longevity of your engine.

The whole idea of performing this service is a general "checkover" of the engine, and removal of oil/lube/filter- to remove metallic content that DOES pass to the oil during the break-in process.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I plan on doing it, because I've always thought it was better to do something, than do nothing until there's an issue. Basically. all that needs to be done is change the oil and LU oil. Then I should be good until the 100 hour service?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Change the oil filter also.

After that: "Once per year, OR every 100 Hours, WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I asked my dealer how much an oil change cost. They told me $200-225 just for the motor oil change, not the LU oil change. That seems awfully high to me. They serviced my old boat and were always reasonable. How hard is it to change the oil myself and will it void my warranty of I did it myself? It's got to be easier than changing the oil in my truck, since I don't have to climb up underneath it.

7. Member
    The instructions for doing it are in the owners manual that came with your motor. Doesn't look like a bad job and you just put a hose on the drain fitting and let it t drain into a can or jug. I plan on doing mine when the time comes.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    I asked my dealer how much an oil change cost. They told me $200-225 just for the motor oil change, not the LU oil change. That seems awfully high to me. They serviced my old boat and were always reasonable. How hard is it to change the oil myself and will it void my warranty of I did it myself? It's got to be easier than changing the oil in my truck, since I don't have to climb up underneath it.
    If ALL you are getting for that is an oil change...

You can get a COMPLETE service in most shops for about $140 more (a substantially higher value).

As stated above, instructions are in your owner's manual.

There's also a QR code on the engine- which will take you to instructional videos for servicing the engine.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If ALL you are getting for that is an oil change...

You can get a COMPLETE service in most shops for about $140 more (a substantially higher value).

As stated above, instructions are in your owner's manual.

There's also a QR code on the engine- which will take you to instructional videos for servicing the engine.
    I thought that was too high, just for an oil change. I will just do it myself.

10. Member
    I called them back this afternoon and spoke to the service manager this time. He said, the general manager told me wrong. It's $190 plus tax, and it includes 4s oil change/filter, LU oil change, check the computer for faults/hours etc. That's a little better I suppose.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Now that's an excellent price, considering what you were told by the Service Manager.

12. Member
    Sounds like I will just let them do it. Maybe next month or February when the weather isn't so good.

13. Madfish
    just make sure you keep receipts and records recorded in your manual in case a warranty claim ever comes up---receipts for oil type and filter always make it easy to verify warranty claims!!

14. Member
    If that first price was accurate they should be arrested for theft. Second price is reasonable for paying a professional making a living to do the work.

15. Xpress Boats Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    If that first price was accurate they should be arrested for theft. Second price is reasonable for paying a professional making a living to do the work.
    You are correct! Guys like Don deserve making a living just like anyone else, and he's as good as they come. I only wish he was a lot closer so I could let him do what I needed on my Merc. The way it is, I do whatever I can myself that isn't under warranty, and will travel a pretty good distance when needed for warranty issues if I have any. Being I've been a Ford mechanic for almost 32 years I can handle most things on it with a little guidance when needed.