Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It's an interesting thread and a way for the manufacturer not to honour the warranty.....
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

2. Member
    They have to honor the warranty unless they can prove the propeller was not a propeller. The Magnus-Moss Warranty Act was put into place for this. Car makers would say you had to use their oil or filters ect. Now you can use any oil you want. The same applies here. As long as its a propeller and has no major defect they have to honor the warranty or they can end up in federal court.

3. Member
    Not going to argue the point. However, with something like oil, as long as the correct weight/type is used, yes, you can use any oil. The specs on a "different" prop is not going to be the same specs as the MinnKota prop, so the aftermarket prop could be the cause of some problems. The warranty is against defective parts.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    Just to clarify the ninja grass blade is not a prop. It's and added blade that is glued onto the shroud of the motor housing and has very minimal clearance from the ridge on the prop, so it cuts off the grass as it swings around on the prop. I fish Leech Lake in MN a lot and the wild rice is notorious for wrapping up and stopping a trolling motor prop and the Ninja was a God send on the 101 I had before this year. I think the prop design of the 112 sucks with the way it is concaved due to the larger motor housing and the prop adapter. I find more weed wrapped around the prop on the 112 than the 101 ever had, even after I added the Ninja. IMHO Minnkota should try and buy the rights to the Ninja and make an option, the thing works! I may try the 112 without again, maybe it was damaged from the factory and was down in power, but I doubt it. And fortunately Minnkota did honor the warranty this time since there was no evidence that I had caused the damage buy hitting anything, but they did say they would not honor it again if the ninja was on it next time. I know without a doubt the Njnja did not cause the damage, because it was this way from the begging before I even installed it. I should have addressed the problem immediately but didn't want to give up for repair.
    Last edited by Phoenix919proxp; 11-30-2015 at 03:37 PM.

5. Banned
    I just went and purchased a new NinjaGrassBlade™ because I switched trolling motors from a MotorGuide Tour109 to a Minn-Kota Fortrex112 and found that I had to sand down the closest edge of My prop to get My NGB to work properly. When I had the installation done, I had the guys chip off My old NGB and it took Me close to 2 hours to Dremel the old epoxy off and smoothen it out for a new installation.

I now have 2 blades but am running them at 3 and 9 o'clock positioning as opposed to down by the skeg.

Now I have a few MG props (1 aluminum) and a TrollPerfect™ made for Motor Guide along w/a Red top that goes on the outside. (PM if You want to try the props out)

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    So just change your prop before you take it in for service.
    The Ninja isn't a prop - it's a device you glue to the base of the TM to cut weeds that get wrapped around the prop.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

There are over 5000 Ninja Grass Blades in use at this time. I believe if it was creating a problem it would have surfaced by now. It was mentioned to me that the techs were concerned with cutting themselves while working on the motors. And yes you can cut yourself if not careful working on the motor without the prop on. As for alteration and modifications my produce does neither, while some other cutters require you to drill holes in the skeg (which is a modification to the TM). If MotorGuide buys my licensing rights lets see how fast MinnKota comes up with something to solve the problem of weeds accumulating around the prop. How is the Eliminator (nut) - used to prevent vibration - any different. It improves the TM performance. One more thing, for years we lifted TM's with a rope, but now MK is using a metal cable on their Ultrex, why?? because it makes their units more reliable, and all that is is a knock off of the G Handle. MK knows I am here and will not return any of my phone calls or emails.

8. Member
    Why not just change the prop out when you take it for service?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    Why not just change the prop out when you take it for service?
    Because the Ninja Grass Blade isn't a prop.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

10. Member
    If you strokes think the after market props or Ninja blades improve your performance and fishing fun, it's your nickle. I used to trick out cars when I was younger. I didn't haul my 327 back to Chevy when it blew up with solid lifters and a hot cam, Hooker headers and 4.11 rear end.

YOU pay your money and take YOUR chances.

I'll bet every one of you knew the potential lack of warranty coverage when you altered your stuff.

I bet you do now. John has been most eloquent.

Don't take the prop off and haul the TM back to the shop and steal from MK. Suck it up. Live with what you do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12