Triton TR/TX21 Owners - PLEASE READ!

If you have a Triton TR/TX21 that was made around 2001, please PM me. I would like to discuss your shoot-thru hull transducer set-up. I have a 2001 TX21 with an 898 Humminbird that uses an XP-9-20 thru-hull puck. If you’ve seen my posts, you will know that I have been fighting the same problem of loss of proper depth reading while on plane over the 5 years I have had this boat. In the past, I have installed a new puck and the unit works fine for about a year, then it starts acting up.
    I have contacted Humminbird and they are no help. Just recently, I spent all weekend taking all of the things in the way of getting to the bilge area. I removed the puck, buffed the fiberglass with a wire wheel, built a round epoxy “dam” and applied the puck using West Marine’s West System epoxy. After taking the boat back out on the water, it is still doing the same thing.
    I am at my wit’s end. I have seen where other members have posted that they were having the same problem. I don’t know what type of boat they have. I would love to know if anyone having this problem has actually solved this.
    Thank you!

Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

2. Member
    Seems like after 5 years of problems, you would give up on an in-hull and go to a transom type transducer. If properly mounted either type should give good readings though. Mine has been in my bilge for 6 years and gives consistent readings up to about 50, then it loses signal. No problem for me, anywhere I'm running that fast is deep. Once you take out the metal divider and can see the livewell pumps, mine is mounted as far back as I could reach and between pumps.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    An 898 Humminbird with Side Imaging has two transducers. One is mounted on the transom and is used while the boat is going slow. The transom mounted transducer comes out of the water when the boat is on plane. The thru-hull is for regular sonar.
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

4. Member
    NoCal - are you saying that I should put a transom-mount type of transducer in my bilge area? I would try that but Humminbird tells me that they only have two type of transducers for the 898. The big, high-dollar SI one that is on my transom and an XP-9-20, which is what I have now in my bilge. If anyone knows of another thru-hull, please let me know.
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

Are you using the hummingbird Y cable? And have you updated the software in the 898?

6. Member
    A friend of mine had a similar issue. We swapped out the Y cable and it fixed problem.
    Greg Wood
    2016 Ranger Z521c 250 Optimax Pro XS
    Dual Power-Pole Blades 10ft
    Lowrance HDS 12 Gen3's at Console and Bow

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jg2448 View Post
    A friend of mine had a similar issue. We swapped out the Y cable and it fixed problem.
    Yes, I am using a Y splitter cable. Replacing that cable and down-loading updates has been suggested and done in the past and have not done any good. I need to talk to someone who has a similar as mine.
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

I have a 15 TRX awith a thru hull transducer in the bilge area that reads speed up to about 55. The only time I lose bottom is if i make a turn. One im driving straight it reads bottom again. Are you sure your putting it the the best place?

On the HB section there is a sticky that explains the best way to test a spot before you glue it down.

I hope the issue gets corrected soon. I know its annoying

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

9. Member
    Rayzor,
    At what speed do you lose readings? Are you losing a reading as soon as you get on plane or at a faster speed? Are you using a slow cure or fast cure epoxy. Fast cure epoxies are notorius for curing with air bubbles. Do you have any photos of your transducer installation?
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2718 View Post
    Rayzor,
    At what speed do you lose readings? Are you losing a reading as soon as you get on plane or at a faster speed? Are you using a slow cure or fast cure epoxy. Fast cure epoxies are notorius for curing with air bubbles. Do you have any photos of your transducer installation?
    I HAVE BEEN USING A VERY SLOW CURE EPOXY FROM WEST MARINE.
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

11. Member
    If it works after you replace the transducer it sounds like a transducer issue. I had to keep water in my bilge for the transducer to work, I broke down and replaced the transducer and it works again.im running lowrance

12. Member
    I have a 1999 Triton TX21.....I put a Lowrance 520c about ten years ago with a shoot thru transducer..only time I lose reading is running 70+MPh because so much boat out of the water. When I installed the puck used sandpaper and got down to bare fiberglass...took a while with dirt and whatever else to get off....cleaned the area real good then put dam up and epoxies it in with something over it to hold in place overnight. It's mounted on the driver side of center very next to old puck I didn't take out from old sonar....I wish I could take a pic but have to remove battery two plates to get to it all...

13. Member
    I don't lose depth reading at speed, but if it gets under 5ft it will not read proper depth. Not sure what to do.

14. Member
    I took the 898 off and installed a Helix 9. No more transducers in the bilge. To @#^! with them!
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

15. Member
    hey I have 1999 triton tx21, I just install all new pumps in my boat. I have power to the panel, but not to the pumps, I did apply a toner to it from the panel to the pump and the wire checked out. What I'm I missing? can someone help me.
    Mel

16. Member
    Try starting your own thread.......

17. Member
    sorry I'm new to this.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MESHAW View Post
    sorry I'm new to this.
    No problem.

19. Member
    Thanks NoCAL....This is what I have been looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Seems like after 5 years of problems, you would give up on an in-hull and go to a transom type transducer. If properly mounted either type should give good readings though. Mine has been in my bilge for 6 years and gives consistent readings up to about 50, then it loses signal. No problem for me, anywhere I'm running that fast is deep. Once you take out the metal divider and can see the livewell pumps, mine is mounted as far back as I could reach and between pumps.

NoCAL