Verado 300, 350 vs Optimax 300xs

Optimax 300xs vs Verado 300 and 350

Have been running a pair of Optimax counter rotating 300XS from 2007 (1E001872 and 1875) with fewer than 700 hours on them.Have had significant annual problems beginning with coils in year one, compressor/ fuel rail failure, Cracked cylinder cover, broken drive shaft, alternator failure.
    I am considering re powering in near future.
    I am primarily in Salt/Brackish, river /bay/ occasional ocean fishing and rarely able to run full speed. I have a top end of 62mph (GPS) in winter and 58 mph typically in summer. it is pretty cool to run a 34 ft boat at 60 mph. But honestly I usually cruise at 45-50 mph and a few top end MPH loss would not be devastating assuming beneficial trade offs.I imagine the verado 350 would make up the speed loss

I am a bit weary of dealing with 2 stroke oil/remote tanks/ engine tank alarms/check valves and risk of oil pump failure.
    It would be nice not to have to run 91 octane and be able to use what they actually sell in the marina

.I Was on the optimax forum and was redirected here . I had noticed that most discussion there was regarding 3 liter 2 strokes which I assume reflects the Optimax speed and fuel efficiency and weight superiority over Verado preferred by Bass boat owners
    Would be interested to hear thoughts on comparative advantages/disadvantages/experiences between these 300/350 models

I have no experience with the Verado series but now have about 100 hours on my 4 stroke 150 and can tell you it is awesome. I would buy it again without hesitation. If the Verado's are as good as the regular 4 strokes then they should be great.

3. Member
    Also post on The Hull Truth. Lots of guys there giving the new Verado 350s high marks. I have one ordered for a 24 bay boat. Taking delivery in a few weeks.

I understand that the new 350s are more efficient than the 300 Verados at the same speeds and come with the 5:44 torque master LUs that are very durable. Will run 89 octane, top performance with 91.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Verado 300's (or even 350's) would be great candidates for your application.

ENTIRE re-rigging of the engine and steering controls would be required- but in the end, you would LOVE the effortless Digital Throttle and Shift, and the simple (one finger will do it) Power Hydraulic Steering.

And in the heat of the summer (or at elevation)- they'll actually outperform the 300XS (the 350 Verado will most any day).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor