Lubricating AIR COMPRESSOR for STORAGE

I've been pulling my hair out for a few days trying to figure out where to put the oil for the compressor. Found this picture in the search.

Boy, I hope I don't get in trouble for this.

THANK YOU, European Marine

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM

Just happened to have one on the bench today.....

https://link.shutterfly.com/5dNdSj7fk9

Last edited by EuropeanAM; 08-28-2020 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Quote Syntax & Title
    Retired 2022...Ranger 2011 Z520, OptiMax 250 1B822149, 8" Bob's Jack-plate, Helix 12si / Helix12di, Duel 12' Talon's, Ultrex 112 i-Pilot Link, Mega 360 and Bravo XS 25.
    At ~400 hours had injectors clean and calibrated by INTEGRITY Injection (by
    European Marine)

2. Member
    That is exactly the right place to put the oil. About 8 to 10 drops of OPTIMAX DFI OIL and disconect your run switch to off and bump your starter twice to distribute the oil. This will protect the air compressor if boat is stored inbetween use more than 30 days and humid climates.

3. Banned
    Does not have to be DFI oil. You can use whatever oil you are using in the engine. Not all Optis call for DFI oil.

4. Member
    I think this needs a Sticky Don.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ADDED to the Recommended Annual Maintenance (and Winterization) thread, in the FAQ.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Where is this part located? Does the 2004 200 EFI have this exact same part too?
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kercha83
    Where is this part located? Does the 2004 200 EFI have this exact same part too?
    The efi doesn't have a compressor
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 11-18-2015 at 06:22 AM.

8. Member
    Is there a reason the pic of the compressor has been removed? I will need to do this for the first time since we are moving to Idaho...thanks

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Unfortunately many of the photos that were hosted on Shutterfly aren't available now.

Here's a link to the photo:

https://link.shutterfly.com/5dNdSj7fk9

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

OK I saw the picture of where to put the oil in the compressor how do I get at it when it is mounted on the engineI cant even see it?
    Twin 200 2005 Mercury Optimax Engines
    1B191661
    1B160290

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    OK I saw the picture of where to put the oil in the compressor how do I get at it when it is mounted on the engineI cant even see it?
    Ditto! I have recently gotten my first Optimax ever, a 2002 225 HP, and don't know much. Will be searching these forums for as much info as possible.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    This may differ slightly from one engine to another.

As you've been told previously, we should have ONE ENGINE per thread (don't hi-jack other threads).

Open a separate thread for your engine(s) and we will be happy to assist.

13. Member
    Just read through the instructions for compressor lubrication and I’m a little confused. Is this procedure to be done with the spark plugs removed, or is simply disconnecting them enough? Also I’m assuming after dropping the oil in, the line into the compressor can be replaced? Does the compressor get lube normally when the engine is running? I use my boat to deer hunt so normally the longest it sits is about a month or so, MAYBE 2 months max, is this still something I should be doing once a year? Boat is garage kept, its not humid here like Houston but it’s no desert either.

14. Member
    See Don's reply just above your post, you really should start a new topic complete with your engine info and serial number.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbassfish View Post
    Just read through the instructions for compressor lubrication and I’m a little confused. Is this procedure to be done with the spark plugs removed, or is simply disconnecting them enough? Also I’m assuming after dropping the oil in, the line into the compressor can be replaced? Does the compressor get lube normally when the engine is running? I use my boat to deer hunt so normally the longest it sits is about a month or so, MAYBE 2 months max, is this still something I should be doing once a year? Boat is garage kept, its not humid here like Houston but it’s no desert either.
    +1... PLEASE start your own post for questions on your engine (rather than inserting it into someone else's, which is also known as Post Hi-Jacking). See the Forum Announcements for basic info about what's expected and requested.

Spark Plugs don't have much to do with the topic of adding oil to the air compressor. You just happened to note both described in the Recommended Annual Maintenance and Winterization for Optimax engines.