Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trolling motor shipping..Add your experience please

Way does it cost for shipping and does anyone know where to get a box big enough to ship it in. Who did u ship with?
    Last edited by buzzn; 01-10-2016 at 05:20 PM.

2. Member
    Here is how to do it. Find a box at a local marine store

Pack it yourself, go to FedEx.com and create an account. Ship your package via FedEx Ground, print the label and tape it to your box. Drop it off at a FedEx location. DO NOT TAKE IT TO FEDEX OFFICE OR KINKOS, they will rip you off. It gets there in about 2 days. I shipped a 36v MG and bracket from Illinois to Florida and cost me $26 shipping. My buddy took his to FEdEX Office and cost him $132 to ship the same motor to Kentucky from Illinois. DO NOT USE FEDEX OFFICE, do it yourself and drop off.

3. Member
    b

4. Member
    If you use a credit card they will back bill you also. That may be a good work around Stretch1. Sometimes it catches you though. The account you create has the possibility to come back on you according to their agreement clause. I think the shipping is out of hand anyways. Like everything else we buy crazy high.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    If you use a credit card they will back bill you also. That may be a good work around Stretch1. Sometimes it catches you though. The account you create has the possibility to come back on you according to their agreement clause. I think the shipping is out of hand anyways. Like everything else we buy crazy high.
    I double checked. I just bought a trolling motor from a guy in Oklahoma City. This is what they billed me:
    Paid CC 18.60

6. eagle521
    Do you use the actual weight? I tried your method and it was over $50 from NJ to Tenn. eagle521

7. Member
    We ship and receive trolling motors from all over the US. The ship to address and box size helps to determine cost. Do as Stretch says and pack it yourself, then drop if off at a FedEX location. The box cannot go over 129" when you add the length, 2xwidth and 2xdepth, else you will be charged for a virtual weight instead of the actual weight. Do not take it to a "ship it" center to do it for you.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    JUST MY 2 CENTS, OVER THE YEARS I HAVE LEARNED THAT IF YOU SEND A PACKAGE TO A BUSINESS OTHER THAN A HOME ITS CHEAPER, SO HAVE IT SENT TO A AUTO REPARE SHOP, OR THE PLACE WHERE YOU WORK. HOPE THIS HELPS BOB BEANS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle521 View Post
    Do you use the actual weight? I tried your method and it was over $50 from NJ to Tenn. eagle521
    45 Lbs. That was what was weighed at the FEDEX office and put on my bill..

Here is a estimate I made up with the exact dimensions of a MG Box with 45 lbs. shipping weight from NJ to TN.

3. Rates and Transit Times
    Help
    Amounts are shown in USD
    Select Delivery Date/Time Service Rates
    Same day in shortest time possible. Call 1·800·Go·FedEx for availability and rate. FedEx Same Day®
    Sat Dec 26, 2015 by 9:30 AM FedEx First Overnight® 310.92
    Sat Dec 26, 2015 by 12:00 PM FedEx Priority Overnight® 279.07
    Mon Dec 28, 2015 by 8:00 AM FedEx First Overnight® 294.48
    Mon Dec 28, 2015 by 10:30 AM FedEx Priority Overnight® 262.63
    Mon Dec 28, 2015 by 3:00 PM FedEx Standard Overnight® 255.69
    Tue Dec 29, 2015 by 10:30 AM FedEx 2Day AM® 109.48
    Tue Dec 29, 2015 by 4:30 PM FedEx 2Day® 95.20
    Wed Dec 30, 2015 by 4:30 PM FedEx Express Saver® 82.71
    End of day(2 Business Days) FedEx Ground® 31.21

10. Member
    I see which I would use!!!!!

11. eagle521
    My box was over 60 pounds. Minn Kota fortrex with foot control. eagle521

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle521 View Post
    My box was over 60 pounds. Minn Kota fortrex with foot control. eagle521
    Ok, then your price will vary a bit. Still the best deal at shipping a Trolling Motor.

13. Member
    I ship with UPS

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyCreekKy View Post
    I ship with UPS
    Cool, what are some examples of their rates and how do you ship it?

This is great info.....

16. Member
    Next one I ship I'll let you email me the shipping label, if you don't mind I will PayPal to you.

17. Member
    I had a 36v Ulterra 60in picked up and secured by Uship in So. East, Pa and delivered to my home in Springfield, IL. I believe I paid $130. I thought that was reasonable.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    Here is how to do it. Find a box at a local marine store

Pack it yourself, go to FedEx.com and create an account. Ship your package via FedEx Ground, print the label and tape it to your box. Drop it off at a FedEx location. DO NOT TAKE IT TO FEDEX OFFICE OR KINKOS, they will rip you off. It gets there in about 2 days. I shipped a 36v MG and bracket from Illinois to Florida and cost me $26 shipping. My buddy took his to FEdEX Office and cost him $132 to ship the same motor to Kentucky from Illinois. DO NOT USE FEDEX OFFICE, do it yourself and drop off.
    I tried this out and it worked just like said. I was charged an additional charge of $18. I ended up paying $48 for a 101 fortrex shipped in a 60x25x24 box. At first they wanted to charge me 295. I tried this method and it worked out just fine.

19. Member
    Beware shipping with FedEx. I just sold a like new Maxxum to a member here and shipped it FedEx ground. I packed the motor in my new Ultrex box. I had taped the pin in the motor shaft so it wouldn't get lost. The pin is now severely bent like FedEx hammered The shaft into the motor housing. The inside is also busted up. The buyer filed a claim with FedEx, as it was insured. Waiting now to see if FedEx is going to make good on the insurance claim. The trolling motor looks perfect on the outside except for the bent pin. I assume it must have been dropped from a pretty good height to jam the shaft into the housing this hard.

20. Member
    Just to update. FedEx has yet to pay a claim for the damaged trolling motor. They have provided a couple hoops to jump through. The first being a request for proof of the value of the trolling motor such as a receipt. Since the trolling motor came installed on my new boat, I did not have a receipt for the trolling motor and it was not itemized on my invoice for the boat. Since I have no way to prove the value of the trolling motor, we are now pursuing a claim for just the replacement parts to repair it instead of the full value of the insurance I purchased. I posted all this just to make people aware of the potential issues should your FedEx shipment be damaged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast