Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Posts
    268

    Humminbird 360 Imaging setup...Transom or Trolling Motor mount...What Say You?

    I am looking at adding the HB 360 imaging to my boat. I want to know the advantages and disadvantages of both setups. What is your preference and why?

  2.  
  3. Member jimmybass2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ixonia, WI
    Posts
    2,031
    #2
    I love my trolling Moyer mount 360! Mine is on a Motorguide with the transducer shield and saver adaptor. The center of the circle is where I'm standing which I feel allows for better judgement of distance to targets. Stows and deploys with the TM, resulting in less moving parts. My 2 Power Poles limit my ability to have one on the transom. Price is lower. Just a bunch of reasons why I prefer the bow mount.
    Jimmy Young

    Temporarily Retired...

    2013 Nitro Z-9
    Mercury 250 ProXS
    MercMonitor level 3
    Atlas 10" Hydraulic Jackplate
    Humminbird SOLIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS
    Humminbird ONIX 8ci CT
    Humminbird ONIX 10ci NT, RC-1 remote at bow
    Humminbird HELIX 12 DI G2N at bow
    Humminbird 360

    Lakemaster SmartStrike Mapping

  4. Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NE Mississippi
    Posts
    7,380
    #3
    If you use an electric steer (Terrova, Ulterra, etc.) a bow mount won't work without some engineering

    I made a bracket for mine to mount beside my Terrova and I like having it up front. As Jimmy said you feel like you are standing in a circle when looking at a screen. I also have customers running the stern mount and for their style of fishing it works very well.

    I may run another brand of unit at some point but there will always be an HB somewhere on the boat just for the 360.

  5. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Posts
    268
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmybass2 View Post
    I love my trolling Moyer mount 360! Mine is on a Motorguide with the transducer shield and saver adaptor. The center of the circle is where I'm standing which I feel allows for better judgement of distance to targets. Stows and deploys with the TM, resulting in less moving parts. My 2 Power Poles limit my ability to have one on the transom. Price is lower. Just a bunch of reasons why I prefer the bow mount.
    Thanks for your input!

  6. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Posts
    268
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by BRUKSHOT View Post
    I am looking at adding the HB 360 imaging to my boat. I want to know the advantages and disadvantages of both setups. What is your preference and why?
    Come on now...don't be shy...LOL!

  7. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    133
    #6
    I use a transom mount 360. If you have it on the trolling motor you can only use it when the trolling motor is down. I troll most of the time and a lot of the time I am using my main motor. The 360 comes with a directional GPS so it shows witch direction the boat is pointing and if you have your trolling motor down it shows up on the 360. When you set up the distant rings on the screen you are able to determine how far away the targets are on your screen. the transom 360 also has a tilt bracket as an accessory so I can tilt it to get under low bridges and it is easy to remove as I do not leave it on the boat when I am not on the water.

    Phil

  8. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    160
    #7
    You can use a bow 360 on a Terrova or Ulterra with this .... Crappie Fishing Accessories

  9. Member Doug Vahrenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Higginsville, MO
    Posts
    22,140
    #8
    Both are great accessories. I guess it depends on how you fish and how you are wanting to use the 360. I Fish mainly from the bow and fish shallow a lot and casting away from the boat. This leads me to using the Trolling Motor 360 more because it's above the trolling motor and I can look ahead easier. But I've used the Transom 360 and it was great help too. Tell us more how you are thinking of using and the trolling motor you have and how you fish and we can help answer that question better for you.
    --


    http://www.dougvahrenberg.com/

    BASS Central Open- Competitive Bass Angler and Humminbird Guru
    Visit my website to learn about my sponsor's products, fishing tips and techniques.

    Learn More About Humminbird Side Imaging Visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaginggroup/

  10. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    West Monroe, LA
    Posts
    339
    #9
    I've been debating the exact same question myself. Was pretty well convinced I wanted it on the TM due to the way I fish. But Phil makes a really good point about being able to remove when away from the boat...... :-/

  11. Member Wayne P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    33,500
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertl69 View Post
    I've been debating the exact same question myself. Was pretty well convinced I wanted it on the TM due to the way I fish. But Phil makes a really good point about being able to remove when away from the boat...... :-/
    The bow model is even easier to remove. Just disconnect the two cables at their plugs, open the shaft clamp and you are done.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP SI, Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N, Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA SI G3
    1.900,-------------------,2.180-----------------------------------------,2.180
    SOLIX 12 SI, Helix 7 CHIRP SI G2, Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA DI+ G3N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360
    3.640,------------2.110,---------------------,2.180-------------------------------------------------1.070

  12. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Posts
    268
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Vahrenberg View Post
    Both are great accessories. I guess it depends on how you fish and how you are wanting to use the 360. I Fish mainly from the bow and fish shallow a lot and casting away from the boat. This leads me to using the Trolling Motor 360 more because it's above the trolling motor and I can look ahead easier. But I've used the Transom 360 and it was great help too. Tell us more how you are thinking of using and the trolling motor you have and how you fish and we can help answer that question better for you.
    I usually fish in a couple different ways.

    1) In the spring, I drift the river for walleyes. I sit in the back of the boat and drift with the bow facing into the current. I control my drift with my trolling motor from the back of the boat.

    2) I troll forward with cranks, either from the back or front of the boat. This year, I will be doing a lot of contour trolling as I now have a new Ulterra with I-Pilot link.

    3) I also sit anchored sometimes and fish with a wolf river rig, mainly for catfish.

    4) I also like to fish in the fallen trees and brush along the banks of the river for crappies

    5) Oh yeah, almost forgot...in late spring we have a fantastic white bass run in our river. In the past, I would just run and gun the different current breaks until I locate a school and then it's game on! It will be nice using the 360 to locate the school first, then fish them. That would save a lot of time knowing they were there first.

  13. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    West Monroe, LA
    Posts
    339
    #12
    Seems like my decision is made then. I must be missing something about the difference between the two then? Looks like the TM version is about $1000 and the Transom version is about $1500. There has to be more mounting hardware and deployment system with the transom mount, but $500 worth?? Isn't that the only real difference? Is it more accurate since not mounted on a vibrating TM? Can be run with it down at greater speed maybe?

  14. Member Wayne P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    33,500
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertl69 View Post
    Seems like my decision is made then. I must be missing something about the difference between the two then? Looks like the TM version is about $1000 and the Transom version is about $1500. There has to be more mounting hardware and deployment system with the transom mount, but $500 worth?? Isn't that the only real difference? Is it more accurate since not mounted on a vibrating TM? Can be run with it down at greater speed maybe?
    The transom version has an electric deploy tower like the Talon. The original MSRP of each one was $1999 for the transom version and $1499 for the bow version.
    I got the bow model about a month before the price drop.

    It's a rotating SI transducer, the "accuracy" is the same both both. If you have a vibrating trolling motor, you should get that fixed.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP SI, Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N, Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA SI G3
    1.900,-------------------,2.180-----------------------------------------,2.180
    SOLIX 12 SI, Helix 7 CHIRP SI G2, Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA DI+ G3N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360
    3.640,------------2.110,---------------------,2.180-------------------------------------------------1.070

  15. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    West Monroe, LA
    Posts
    339
    #14
    I did just see that it "is designed to work exclusively with Minn Kota® Maxxum® and Minn Kota® Fortrex trolling motors with foot controls only". Is that a hard accurate statement or just meaning the TM's it is approved for? I ask cause this boat came with a motorguide. No, it does not seem to vibrate, was more a theoretical question.

    Thanks!

  16. Member Wayne P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    33,500
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertl69 View Post
    I did just see that it "is designed to work exclusively with Minn Kota® Maxxum® and Minn Kota® Fortrex trolling motors with foot controls only". Is that a hard accurate statement or just meaning the TM's it is approved for? I ask cause this boat came with a motorguide. No, it does not seem to vibrate, was more a theoretical question.

    Thanks!
    The shaft clamp is made to fit the diameter of a Minnkota motor. Humminbird and Minnkota are owned by the same company. Their stuff is made to work with their stuff.

    Transducer Shield and Saver has a shaft diameter difference adapter to use the bow 360 on a cable steer foot control Motor Guide trolling motor. That is what I use.
    This is the adapter:

    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP SI, Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N, Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA SI G3
    1.900,-------------------,2.180-----------------------------------------,2.180
    SOLIX 12 SI, Helix 7 CHIRP SI G2, Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA DI+ G3N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360
    3.640,------------2.110,---------------------,2.180-------------------------------------------------1.070

  17. Member Wayne P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    33,500
    #16
    This the clamp attached to the adapter:

    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP SI, Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N, Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA SI G3
    1.900,-------------------,2.180-----------------------------------------,2.180
    SOLIX 12 SI, Helix 7 CHIRP SI G2, Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA DI+ G3N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360
    3.640,------------2.110,---------------------,2.180-------------------------------------------------1.070

  18. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lake Eufaula, ala
    Posts
    410
    #17
    I'm selling a new one for a friend for 825 that has never even been plugged in. It's in the for sale section also.

  19. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    West Monroe, LA
    Posts
    339
    #18
    Been eyeing that it, but don't even have my sonar yet! LOL Trying to do as much research as I can to lessen the number of newbie errors. I may very well find that listing again and shoot you an offer, thanks!!

    And thanks for the bracket info Wayne!!

  20. Member Wayne P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    33,500
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertl69 View Post
    Been eyeing that it, but don't even have my sonar yet! LOL Trying to do as much research as I can to lessen the number of newbie errors. I may very well find that listing again and shoot you an offer, thanks!!

    And thanks for the bracket info Wayne!!
    KVD uses Motor Guide and he has the adapter and 360 on his bow.

    slide #5 here

    Inside Elite Boats: Kevin VanDam's Nitro Z21 | Bassmaster
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP SI, Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N, Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA SI G3
    1.900,-------------------,2.180-----------------------------------------,2.180
    SOLIX 12 SI, Helix 7 CHIRP SI G2, Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA DI+ G3N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360
    3.640,------------2.110,---------------------,2.180-------------------------------------------------1.070

  21. Member Doug Vahrenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Higginsville, MO
    Posts
    22,140
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by BRUKSHOT View Post
    I usually fish in a couple different ways.

    1) In the spring, I drift the river for walleyes. I sit in the back of the boat and drift with the bow facing into the current. I control my drift with my trolling motor from the back of the boat.

    2) I troll forward with cranks, either from the back or front of the boat. This year, I will be doing a lot of contour trolling as I now have a new Ulterra with I-Pilot link.

    3) I also sit anchored sometimes and fish with a wolf river rig, mainly for catfish.

    4) I also like to fish in the fallen trees and brush along the banks of the river for crappies

    5) Oh yeah, almost forgot...in late spring we have a fantastic white bass run in our river. In the past, I would just run and gun the different current breaks until I locate a school and then it's game on! It will be nice using the 360 to locate the school first, then fish them. That would save a lot of time knowing they were there first.
    Since your fishing from the ear of the boat and Terrova. I'd recommend the Transom 360 plus chasing those Whites you could deploy and look and find before you have to put the trollign motor in the water.
    --


    http://www.dougvahrenberg.com/

    BASS Central Open- Competitive Bass Angler and Humminbird Guru
    Visit my website to learn about my sponsor's products, fishing tips and techniques.

    Learn More About Humminbird Side Imaging Visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaginggroup/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast