Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blevins View Post
    Who is Blev? If ur talking about me my boats been 84mph on a lake and not down river. I don't believe my boat is anything special.... The engine is a bone stock 2015 mercury 250 pro xs with a stock out of the box 26P Fury prop. The engine nor the prop have been tuned or modified in anyway shape or form.... I dyno tune cars for a living and some have asked if i have tuned on the engine but i don't have software for these mercury marine engines! My boats a dual console, 36v system, stereo system etc and i almost always run half tanks of fuel when i go out. Stock 26p fury for prop. Its all about setup and driving it properly. If i took some stuff out and played with props there is no doubt in my mind it could go a little faster. But i like how the boat is setup now it carrys a load VERY well and handles very well.

I've heard oh well u got a hot motor etc... Well im not that lucky unfortunately lol. My Nitro Z-8 with 250 merc i just came out of went 80mph and actually seen 81 before of course i got called a liar from people on this forum as i was new to it and there were doubts and i had to prove that with a video as well. Some people just don't take the time or have the know how to set the boat up properly drive it and get the boats doing what they're capable of so they call BS. Every puma, cougar or eyra with a 250 is an 80+ mph boat. FACT!

When u do something not everyone does its sadly the normal response for some to call BS.

Now on to the subject at hand.... If Rick says this boat ran what it did why would he lie!?!? That wouldn't make any sense or benefit him in any way. Instead of calling BS why don't the ones that are in disbelief set back and learn a few things before disrespecting someone else that has done a lot for this community and has a lot of knowledge. I know thats not the easiest way to feel better that u cant make it happen but lets show some class here people.
    Fastest stock Cougar FTD.
    Last edited by Sports1; 04-28-2017 at 08:32 PM.

Cougar FTD but close enough same bottom :)
    2015 Bass Cat Cougar FTD Mercury 250 PRO XS
    Blevins Tuning
    S&S Marine

Quote Originally Posted by Sports1 View Post
    Fastest stock Puma.
    That is one of the best all time posts about speed and saying something is BS just because you personally can't do it. I hear this stuff all the time even from my group of speed freaks and quite frankly "Blevins said it about as good if not better than I or any of my real go fast guys could have said it" I also have no doubt what so ever that Rick and his boats are capable of doing whatever he has said they have

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by esdbass View Post
    That is one of the best all time posts about speed and saying something is BS just because you personally can't do it. I hear this stuff all the time even from my group of speed freaks and quite frankly "Blevins said it about as good if not better than I or any of my real go fast guys could have said it" I also have no doubt what so ever that Rick and his boats are capable of doing whatever he has said they have
    Agreed.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blevins View Post
    Cougar FTD but close enough same bottom :)
    just edited.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I just call it as i see it and keep it honest!

10-4 Sports1
    2015 Bass Cat Cougar FTD Mercury 250 PRO XS
    Blevins Tuning
    S&S Marine

7. Member
    I believe there is so much to setting a boat up correctly {Per each hull}. Its also a matter of the driver to get the most potential out of his hull.
    Why is it some drivers can get in a boat and drive it faster than the owner? I believe set up and the driver are the major players with each BCB.
    The gentleman that owns the local BCB dealer in my area can drive almost every BCB faster than the owner. He is very smooth.
    I seen him drive a Cougar Advantage to 83 mph with 3 people in the boat (boat was empty for sale with no gear). For some, it comes very natural. Others like myself, at high speeds I'm driving the chine {doing my best to balance the boat on pad}, where my buddy would be smooth with no noticeable change in the ride.
    Last edited by Cajunhunter67; 07-03-2019 at 09:58 PM.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

8. BBC Psychologist
    I have always been leery of speeds that some are saying they achieve with a BassCat Boat. I do believe that setup and driver input do allow for an extra mph or 2. That being said, I was told that my boat wouldn't go 80mph. That was true...it went 81.1. I have seen boats do things that others said they would never do. I witnessed a Tidecraft run 97mph with a stock 225 3.1L Yamaha. I've a seen 19ft Stratos run over 80 with a 200 Evinrude Etec.

My boat is a 2007 blem boat that I bought straight from Rick Pierce at the factory. The boat was damaged in an accident. I spent months getting the bottom back to as close to the factory specs as I could. Loaded with full fuel, live wells, gear, 3 batteries, 1 person, and (2) 12ft Minn Kota Talons she will hit 79mph in the right conditions with good overall performance. Setup to run big numbers and big numbers only I feel like with the right driver it could hit 85mph. (I am not that driver!)

All this being said, I believe a BassCat could be setup to run triple digits. We were 3 mph away from doing it with a Tidecraft and a stock 225 Yamaha. (yes a nosecone was on the foot & yes I know that's not completely stock). The yamaha blew before we could get there!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychologist View Post
    I have always been leery of speeds that some are saying they achieve with a BassCat Boat. I do believe that setup and driver input do allow for an extra mph or 2. That being said, I was told that my boat wouldn't go 80mph. That was true...it went 81.1. I have seen boats do things that others said they would never do. I witnessed a Tidecraft run 97mph with a stock 225 3.1L Yamaha. I've a seen 19ft Stratos run over 80 with a 200 Evinrude Etec.

My boat is a 2007 blem boat that I bought straight from Rick Pierce at the factory. The boat was damaged in an accident. I spent months getting the bottom back to as close to the factory specs as I could. Loaded with full fuel, live wells, gear, 3 batteries, 1 person, and (2) 12ft Minn Kota Talons she will hit 79mph in the right conditions with good overall performance. Setup to run big numbers and big numbers only I feel like with the right driver it could hit 85mph. (I am not that driver!)

All this being said, I believe a BassCat could be setup to run triple digits. We were 3 mph away from doing it with a Tidecraft and a stock 225 Yamaha. (yes a nosecone was on the foot & yes I know that's not completely stock). The yamaha blew before we could get there!

Too bad you didn't have Mercury 250XS on that Tidecraft I think you would have seen 100+ with it's standard sportmaster gearcase
    Last edited by esdbass; 05-02-2017 at 10:11 PM.

10. Member
    Pretty sure a mod company named Rapier made both analog and digital ECUs in a broad range of rpms . Long time ago, could easily be wrong. Don't have my Bass & Walleye Boat mags anymore to check

11. Member
    Bass Expo Timonium Md early 2000's ... had a great conversation with Ron Pierce about a putting a 2.5 on a Puma. Ron called Rick over and we talked about balance and gear ratios, speed and durability on the Upper Bay. The final straw was cost. Both short term and long term. Way outta my league. I learned an awful lot in that hour or so about bassboats and speed. But what I really learned was how much they really cared about their customers. I have enormous respect for Rick and his father. If Rick says he did something, he did.

12. Member
    This is a great thread and I had never seen it before. I currently have a 2016 Puma/250 SHO, but back in the early 2000s, I had the previous model of the Jaguar, a 20'. It had a Mercury Racing 250 XS Optimax, with a hydraulic jack plate. That boat would fly, and back then I could drive one better than now, as my reflexes were better. It would easily cruise at 75 and low 80s was readily attainable with enough open water. BassCat does build a boat with the best balance of performance and fishability.
    Last edited by printman71; 06-29-2019 at 03:00 PM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrgfm View Post
    ya' i know,old post,but christmas is coming again,come and get her,,she's even sitting at canada's newest BCB dealership,0 hours,ruck block with marles pistons and rods,7600 is just warming up,she'll twist the tach needle off of most bass boats,you'll need some bigger props,smartcraft delete.
    Back in the day my dream was to buy a half dozen of these to have as spares, just in case. Figured I'd have a couple with 6500 limiters installed so they'd last a while, lol. Will the 4 strokes ever compare???

The four strokes will take years to evolve to where the 2.5 blocks were. The rev limiters and torque curve alignment will be the largest issue as they are hampered by EPA exhaust regs. There is not near the aftermarket electronics market that automotive has and it will take a similar technology share to develop aftermarket software and hardware. Mercury did not create much of this technology, though licensed and purchased it. In a decade or so those companies may find niches to develop off platforms to aftermarket digital drives. Perhaps the boys in California could figure that one out.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigsisme View Post
    They built a few kevlar cougars\jaguars back in the day, 1 of which was for a friend of mine. I rode in and drove it and know from first hand experience that 92 was nothing for this boat and it had more umph to go!!! That boat is in the LOZ area last time I heard. It did have an XB on it.
    There was a cougar with a light layup on the hull built for Jack Cartwright back in 2000-2001 with an xb250. I personally drove to 90mph with jack (all 100lbs of him) in the pasenger side. I believe he had the boat to 93 but cant verify that. Rick or Charlie knew jjack well and could verify. Boat was still at loto last I knew

Jack Cartwright was a core Factory build and nothing reduced. The only reduced boats were those Cougars sold as HP models and 2 WCF boats. The WCF had to meet weight guidelines also and could not be stripped on the build.

17. Member
    Wow! I just read all 6 pages of this thread and enjoyed it immensely.

I had no idea that BCB had such a rich history of high performance boats.

My previous boats which could be considered to have high performance hulls were: Laser, Bullet 20XD, 21 XD, Allison XB2002, and XB2003. All had 200 HP Merc 2.5 either carbureted or EFI except the XB2003 which had a 225 Pro Max.

Never owned a Stroker but knew they performed quite well also.

Getting on up there in years but if I were to replace my Xpress a Bass Cat would be a top contender. Now I feel like I missed something by not owning one.

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread. You made my day!

18. Member
    So Rick... What's the Jag with the 450R running?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawger View Post
    So Rick... What's the Jag with the 450R running?
    Too soon

How fast is the boat in this video? "Lake X with Bass Cat President, Rick Pierce in a brand new Eyra powered by a Mercury 300 Racing engine"

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast