Don - winterize Verado pro?

So I picked up my new rig with a new 250 Verado Pro in early September. And by the way I absolutely love this motor so far. Incredible smooth power and so many nice features. I've put about 18 hours on the engine so far. The boat is going back to the factory next week or so to have some minor issues straightened out so it looks like I'll be done for the year until probably March. What do you recommend I have done for maintenance and/or winterization? Wasn't sure what I should do since the motor is only 3 months old. I will be running it this weekend and putting a good dose of stabilizer in the fuel. Should I have them do anything to the motor at the factory? It will probably be there for a few weeks and then it'll come back home and be stored in my attached unheated garage. It it very seldom drops below freezing in there since it's attached and under my bedroom. Thanks a lot

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'd definitely recommend a 20 hour service (combined with winterization) be done:

Stabilize fuel and run to get it up through the system, gear lube, engine oil and filter, grease propshaft splines, inspect for problems, Computer Diagnostic Printouts, etc.

Engine should be stored in the DOWN position during freezing temps.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks, Don.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I'd definitely recommend a 20 hour service (combined with winterization) be done:

Stabilize fuel and run to get it up through the system, gear lube, engine oil and filter, grease propshaft splines, inspect for problems, Computer Diagnostic Printouts, etc.

Engine should be stored in the DOWN position during freezing temps.
    Is the engine stored down during freezing temps just to keep water from getting into the prop and freezing?

5. Member
    Yes. I make sure to drain all the water out before I leave the ramp and store it in the vertical position in the garage.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostRider32 View Post
    Is the engine stored down during freezing temps just to keep water from getting into the prop and freezing?
    NO. Storing the engine down ensures that all water has drained (and remains drained) from the COOLING SYSTEM.

Metal components SWEAT as they heat and cool- and if stored in a TILTED position, this condensation can pool, resulting in water pockets that freeze, and can cause VERY costly damage.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    NO. Storing the engine down ensures that all water has drained (and remains drained) from the COOLING SYSTEM.

Metal components SWEAT as they heat and cool- and if stored in a TILTED position, this condensation can pool, resulting in water pockets that freeze, and can cause VERY costly damage.
    Thanks, I didn't know that.