Thread: X7

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugdog65 View Post
    I was prepared to buy the 21 pitch laser for my Lowe 18hp with 115 4s. Would I want a 21 pitch in this prop as well?
    It is a hard good question. I would say if you have about 150 rpms you can gain, then drop a pitch. If you are right at your max rpms, then stay in same pitch. Like the aluminum Spitfire prop you stay in the same pitch. This prop is a SS , but a totally different metal compound. With the smaller diameter and thinner blades. They claim stay with the same pitch also. If they made this prop for a 60hp, I would stay with same pitch. Because the aluminum spitfire prop I have is so light compared to my 3 blade ss. I feel a pitch higher would be better. I turn a 14p at 6010 rpms and my 14p SS at 5875 rpms. Hope this help and not confused you.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

2. Member
    I really do not know. I am running the factory aluminum still. It is 19 pitch. At full wide open with trim the dash rpm gauge is showing 6k but I don't know how true that is.

Do you ever hit the limiter. If I was you I would stay in same pitch. I really think you won't drop but 100 rpms if at all. If you are at 6000 or alittle less, you will stay in the upper end of your rpm band. You could gain speed as they claim.
    Last edited by gatorglenn; 11-08-2015 at 05:14 PM.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

4. Member
    Anyone running a Spitfire X7 yet??
    I'll probably pick one up sometime after Christmas. I've been looking for some reviews but only found 1 that didn't look too much like an advertisement.

http://www.boat.com/2015/11/05/mercu...-x7-propeller/

"Rigged on a 17-foot Triton Explorer test bed powered by a Mercury 115 hp four-stroke, the new SpitFire X7 prop not only achieved faster acceleration than the Laser II (0 – 30 mph in 13.6 seconds, versus 16 seconds), but also logged a higher top-end speed of 49.8 mph, versus 48.3 mph for the older prop."

I haven't heard of anyone running it yet. But I think it's the prop of the future for the 75-115 hp.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

6. Member
    Tried out the Spitfire X7 this evening I got for the boat. It woke it up. I was running a 21P Laser II and turning 5400 RPM @ 41 MPH GPS Loaded full gas, half full livewell, two big adults and both their fishing gear. Installed the Spitfire X7 19P turning 5800 RPM @ 46 MPH GPS Loaded full gas, half full livewell, two big adults and both their fishing gear. The Spitfire X7 held in the turns at a higher trim setting than the Laser II
    2015 Ranger RT188 Mercury 115 4 Stroke
    Fortrex 80 Spitfire X7 19P

I may have to do some research on this prop. Though I had Mark Croxton work on my prop it still can be a dog coming out of the hole with my fishing partner and our gear. Currently I'm running a 20P LaserII and with me alone it pops right out and i'm within 100rpms of my max. But I need better hull lift than what I am getting. I'll probably wait until later this coming summer before I try one.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 ProXS 4Stroke Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 21P
    Minn Kota 80lb Thrust Ultrex.
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Humminbird Helix 10 DI G4N W/FFS @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 DI G4N @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 SI G4N @ Console
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

Quote Originally Posted by edvtx1312 View Post
    Tried out the Spitfire X7 this evening I got for the boat. It woke it up. I was running a 21P Laser II and turning 5400 RPM @ 41 MPH GPS Loaded full gas, half full livewell, two big adults and both their fishing gear. Installed the Spitfire X7 19P turning 5800 RPM @ 46 MPH GPS Loaded full gas, half full livewell, two big adults and both their fishing gear. The Spitfire X7 held in the turns at a higher trim setting than the Laser II
    Well this is good news for the X7. Dropped 2" in pitch and gained 400 rpms and 5 mph. Better holeshot and bit in the turns. Definitely doing a good job for you. It's just a matter of time, until this prop catches on.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by krr6581 View Post
    I may have to do some research on this prop. Though I had Mark Croxton work on my prop it still can be a dog coming out of the hole with my fishing partner and our gear. Currently I'm running a 20P LaserII and with me alone it pops right out and i'm within 100rpms of my max. But I need better hull lift than what I am getting. I'll probably wait until later this coming summer before I try one.
    With you 100 rpms from max I would probably drop to the 19p. Your hull mite benefit from this prop the most. If you do try it, let me know what you think. Thanks!

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    With you 100 rpms from max I would probably drop to the 19p. Your hull mite benefit from this prop the most. If you do try it, let me know what you think. Thanks!
    Let me find a buyer for my two Laser II props and I'll buy it and put it to the test.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krr6581 View Post
    Let me find a buyer for my two Laser II props and I'll buy it and put it to the test.
    Me too!!

12. Member
    I really do not know. I am running the factory aluminum still. It is 19 pitch. At full wide open with trim the dash rpm gauge is showing 6k but I don't know how true that is.
    My boat came rigged with a 21P Black Max three blade. I was turning 6000 RPM with two adults, full tank gas and half full livewell. Put the Laser II 21P on and was running 5400 RPM at a high trim setting, and 5100 RPM with boat trimmed for best handling. The Spitfire X7 trimmed for best handling is 5500 RPM

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edvtx1312 View Post
    My boat came rigged with a 21P Black Max three blade. I was turning 6000 RPM with two adults, full tank gas and half full livewell. Put the Laser II 21P on and was running 5400 RPM at a high trim setting, and 5100 RPM with boat trimmed for best handling. The Spitfire X7 trimmed for best handling is 5500 RPM
    do you have a setback plate on your boat?

I just looked up Boat Propeller Warehouse and they have the Spitfire X7 in 19P for $428 with shipping $450 and change. I may just go ahead and order it, but will check some other forums prior to placing the order.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KC Ron View Post
    do you have a setback plate on your boat?
    I don't have a set back plate.

16. Banned
    The smaller diameter is the key. Same with Evinrude Rogue prop. That's awesome

The X7 is going to perform great on a transom mounted rig. Where it's really going to shine is with a adjustable set back. This is a prop that will only need maybe a 1/4" change in heights, to make a huge difference. With the underpowered rigs we run. The smaller diameter, high rake, aggressive cup.It is going to change the game on what we all thought we were forced to live with.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    The X7 is going to perform great on a transom mounted rig. Where it's really going to shine is with a adjustable set back. This is a prop that will only need maybe a 1/4" change in heights, to make a huge difference. With the underpowered rigs we run. The smaller diameter, high rake, aggressive cup.It is going to change the game on what we all thought we were forced to live with.

My thoughts exactly.

Anyone else, tried it.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    I agree.

I've been very quiet here latel but I had to respond to this. I completely agree and after adding cup to my Laser II and my Turbo 1 prop, the Laser is collecting dust in the garage as a spare.

I had Brian add a lot of cup to my Turbo and he tuned it to a 19.5-pitch prop. It's got an aggressive rake angle on the blades and a lot more surface area per blade. Which helps it hold better and lift much better. But that cost rpms. So I run only 100rpm higher with a 19p Turbo than I do a 21p Laser but here is the difference in ride quality and lift.

The Turbo has a holeshot that's 2-3 times a faster than the Laser. It holds much better in turns and rough water (and my motor is on hole #3 without a jackplate). It's also much better carrying loads. With a full livewell, a passenger and gear, I losexpect all of 15mph and a slight difference in holeshot. With the Laser, it's a turtle on holeshot and the prop wants to blow out at full trim if really loaded.

Just 2 days ago, I was running into the wind on choppy water. There is so much lift from the Turbo, I could feel the hull chine walking. First it's EVER done this! I was surprised. That's how much lift I get from a cupped Turbo without a jackplate. So much that the hull is not as affective at tracking. It only has rakes in the hull and no pad to help with this. So it's understandable. The wind was a bit of a cross wind and was pushing the hull to the right a bit as it was lifted up and skipping waves like a rock. Granted, I'm not as fast as I was before but the ride quality feels like a pad hull. The livewell was full, boat was loaded and half tank of fuel.

I think a good 4 blade in a smaller diameter and lots of cup is just what the RT188 needs. It's not a pad hull. It needs a 4 blade and aggressive cup and rake but shorter diameter so the motor can spin it correctly.

If I were looking at a new prop, I'd look into this one seriously.

The Laser is a good boat anchor after running it for a long time. I don't like mine at all. And I know that will make some people here mad but......after seeing what another prop will do after some work on both, the Laser is not a good fit on the RT series boats in my experience. I think there are better options and not the end all be all it has been pushed here.

I can get 48-49 with the wind on chop. 46 on smooth still water, 47 on chop on the Turbo and the ride is incredible. The Laser, I feel every bump and no lift and get same speed.
    Last edited by Ozark Angler; 12-26-2015 at 08:16 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast