Just curious, Gun Lake or Coldwater Lake general info.

My father in law is possibly moving, and he is looking at purchasing a lake home on Gun Lake(2,680 acres) or Coldwater Lake (1600 acres).

Just curious if either of them lakes mentioned above have good bass fishing, or walleye fishing, pike?
    Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS

2. Member
    Both have good bass and pike fishing

3. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    I know nothing about Coldwater, but would like to.

Gun has good numbers of pike but they tend to run small. There are some big ones. There are walleye in Gun, and some big fish are taken every winter. Crappie fishing can be great in the spring.

Bass... In the past I couldn't go there and get skunked unless I casted only in the parking lot. I've hooked (and lost) some real nice smallies, and some respectable LM's. But the past couple years getting skunked hasn't been difficult. Some have said there's too much tournament pressure, I'm not sure what the cause is.

If he is retired, fishing Gun during the week is enjoyable. The weekends are not so good after about 10a.m. due to boat traffic.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

Quote Originally Posted by CGWright View Post
    I know nothing about Coldwater, but would like to.

Gun has good numbers of pike but they tend to run small. There are some big ones. There are walleye in Gun, and some big fish are taken every winter. Crappie fishing can be great in the spring.

Bass... In the past I couldn't go there and get skunked unless I casted only in the parking lot. I've hooked (and lost) some real nice smallies, and some respectable LM's. But the past couple years getting skunked hasn't been difficult. Some have said there's too much tournament pressure, I'm not sure what the cause is.

If he is retired, fishing Gun during the week is enjoyable. The weekends are not so good after about 10a.m. due to boat traffic.

He is retiring in the next month or so, but he has been saying that for 4 years. He has also been buying a lake home for about 4 years now also.

He just sold his house in Indiana which is his main residence and is looking to move to Michigan permanently, so I think he is serious this time. I know he went to see multiple houses on those lakes last weekend.

Sounds like Gun Lake is your typical weekend type cottage lake, I would guess the lake fills up with a bunch of weekenders from the Chicago area. Good to know that the fishing can be decent/to relatively good at times of the year.

Thank you.
    Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS

5. Member
    Have him look into Austin or Paw Paw lake (Coloma). That is if he is looking to stick with a bigger lake. Those 2 blow away the 2 he has looked at as far as bass fishing goes. Austin has more full time residents where as paw paw has a lot of Chicago folk. Austin=real good largemouth and small mouth, Muskie, Pike and panfish. Paw Paw= real good largemouth and smallmouth, walleye, pike, panfish.
    Personally, I would go with Paw Paw.

Quote Originally Posted by PUMA1973 View Post
    Have him look into Austin or Paw Paw lake (Coloma). That is if he is looking to stick with a bigger lake. Those 2 blow away the 2 he has looked at as far as bass fishing goes. Austin has more full time residents where as paw paw has a lot of Chicago folk. Austin=real good largemouth and small mouth, Muskie, Pike and panfish. Paw Paw= real good largemouth and smallmouth, walleye, pike, panfish.
    Personally, I would go with Paw Paw.

I am just the lowly son in law, I get no say in the matter.

What I could do is tell my wife, to tell her father to look at Austin or PawPaw. Paw Paw and Austin are both closer to my home and the rest of his family, so that is nice. From what i have heard I don't think he can afford to live on the lake on Paw Paw Lake.
    Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS

if you don't like jet skiers, skiers, drunk people in boats, etc.... then gun lake is not the place for you. Its an absolute nightmare on holiday weekends. Theres a lot of great smaller lakes all over the south end that have good fishing and aren't that popular.

Check out Templene, or upper crooked, pine lake.... amongst others.

8. Member
    Coldwater gets hit hard with boats every weekend as well. Not so bad during the week but be prepared for tourneys at least every other weak. Would got with thedude and check out some of the smaller lakes. Templene is really nice. There is also a few lakes in branch county buy coldwater that have no wake after and befor certain time.