Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

the post yesterday about unruly kids in school

My post in that thread --

Maybe he just didn't have a good home to have breakfast in ---- ( Brushsjigs wrote)

Tired of hearing excuses for these types of punks. 3 brothers wrote a letter to Boystown and asked if they could live there and go to school. They left Chicago, drove to Omaha Ne in a 54 Chebbie that got 200 miles to a qt. of oil. Kenny, Larry, and Doc--- they had other siblings, all older. These 3 brothers had the same mom, all of them had a different dad. I asked them how that could be, Larry said mom had a mattress strapped to her back yelling curb service. 3 of the best guys you ever wanted to call friends. One of the guys I used to run with said he ran into Kenny at Ft. Lewis Washington. That was probably 1970.

As tough as those 3 had it, they never stole, or disrespected anyone the 15-18 months we ran together.

BTW taxpayers make sure kids get a breakfast at school

After posting that I started doing an internet search. I found a Larry ********* that attended Boystown in the time frame that my friend would have. I wrote this Larry an email and asked if he was the Larry that had 2 brothers, Kenny and Doc----- he was.

BUT how could that be?? The title he holds for a company is PRESIDENT ..... According to some ---- guys that are raised in a bad environment can't help but being unruly thug type people. No guidance leads to no discipline.

IT is an excuse that needs to stop------

2. Member
    Boystown is a great place and does wonderful work with kids. I love listening to Father Peter tell stories of the kids. Some of them are quite sad.

I don't think it's an excuse as much as an explanation as to why those kids are the way they are.

If you grow up in poverty with no father and little to no guidance to teach you from right or wrong (mom is probably a drug abuser or alcoholic or both) your only way to learn anything is from your peers which are all likely living in the same conditions you are so naturally you merely inherit those bad behaviors since there's nobody there to teach you another way.

A story from 40 + years ago sounds nice but unfortunately this world has changed an awful lot since then and not in a good way.

4. Member
    It all comes down to what a person has inside them. I know people that had it all growing up and turned out to be total dirt bags and I also know guys that come from a totally broken home filled with alcoholism and mayhem that turned out to be exceptional people. Most want to point fingers and blame others but it all comes down to how a person decides he wants his life to turn out. Now, I know that won't sit well with some but if most anybody you know wants to see the root of their problems all they have to do is get up and look in the mirror. The fact is that life is hard for everybody. Nobody is going to go through it without heart aches and pain. Nobody is immune to the trials and tribulations that happen but there is vast differences in how people handle the adversities they face. I'm sick of a certain group blaming others and making excuses for the decisions that people make that put them in the situations they are in.

Quote Originally Posted by cart7 View Post
    I don't think it's an excuse as much as an explanation as to why those kids are the way they are.

If you grow up in poverty with no father and little to no guidance to teach you from right or wrong (mom is probably a drug abuser or alcoholic or both) your only way to learn anything is from your peers which are all likely living in the same conditions you are so naturally you merely inherit those bad behaviors since there's nobody there to teach you another way.

A story from 40 + years ago sounds nice but unfortunately this world has changed an awful lot since then and not in a good way.
    I agree, life has changed a bunch from just when I was a kid. Yes I believe that there are exceptions to the rules, but normally, you tend to be a product of your surroundings. There are those that want a change, but change takes dedication and hard work. But most of the times it's easier to just go with the flow and go with it. It's sad to say, but it's true

6. Banned
    Well said Dave!

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    BUT how could that be?? The title he holds for a company is PRESIDENT ..... According to some ---- guys that are raised in a bad environment can't help but being unruly thug type people. No guidance leads to no discipline.
    And according to others, he's a chair polisher.
    Alan
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

8. Member
    My X and I adopted a child when he was about 4 at the time we were a foster home with 2 children of our own. We had about 82 foster kids come through our home over the years including the boys 2 sisters who had been adopted. Anyway, my wife insisted we adopt this kid and so we did. I am a strong believer in respect and discipline but my X is the type of person who believes in threats without following through. Discipline of this child always ending up with us having a fuss and her telling me she would do the correcting of him which never happened. Since we divorced she has called me several times to come get him and straighten him out. I just tell her it is to late for me to do anything she wanted him now she has him and to do her own discipline. He is now 23 and is always in trouble with the law. He has never had a job, has two children with two different girls and the X is paying his child support for him and furnishing him a place to live, groceries, vehicles, and paying his court costs. All decisions have consequences and if a child is not taught when they are young they won't be taught when they are old. It is a choice a person makes.
    Rocket

Nobody ever said it was impossible to beat some sense into an unruly kid
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

10. Member
    Dave,
    Its obvious that you didn't read the post before mine. I reversed the same words of the previous poster.
    Yes a few dont want the life style that they were brought up with, however its easier for most to continue on that way.
    Point is, where are the parents.

Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    D
    Point is, where are the parents.
    Beating up teachers.

Alan
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S View Post
    Beating up teachers.

kudos to this man!!!!

Kids are a product of their environment/upbringing

Quote Originally Posted by BIGCBAG View Post
    kudos to this man!!!!
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

I grew up in a split family with my mom working three jobs to raise myself and me three sisters. We lived in some very low income areas. I was a high school drop out in trouble with the law, placed in the foster system and was a true punk with little hope of making something out of my life. One day I looked in the mirror and did not like what I saw or had become. "I" made a personal decision that day to better myself. I now have a collage degree, am a Naval Officer with almost 30 years of service with a great family and lead a blessed life.

Product of our environment? I call BS, that's just another excuse for taking the easy way out. It all boils down to a personal choice, and we "all" have a choice.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g2072 View Post
    It all comes down to what a person has inside them. I know people that had it all growing up and turned out to be total dirt bags and I also know guys that come from a totally broken home filled with alcoholism and mayhem that turned out to be exceptional people. Most want to point fingers and blame others but it all comes down to how a person decides he wants his life to turn out. Now, I know that won't sit well with some but if most anybody you know wants to see the root of their problems all they have to do is get up and look in the mirror. The fact is that life is hard for everybody. Nobody is going to go through it without heart aches and pain. Nobody is immune to the trials and tribulations that happen but there is vast differences in how people handle the adversities they face. I'm sick of a certain group blaming others and making excuses for the decisions that people make that put them in the situations they are in.
    This. Well said. I believe we all have a choice. That choice is up to that person. No one else. Good or bad, it was their decision.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Ray View Post
    I grew up in a split family with my mom working three jobs to raise myself and me three sisters. We lived in some very low income areas. I was a high school drop out in trouble with the law, placed in the foster system and was a true punk with little hope of making something out of my life. One day I looked in the mirror and did not like what I saw or had become. "I" made a personal decision that day to better myself. I now have a collage degree, am a Naval Officer with almost 30 years of service with a great family and lead a blessed life.

Product of our environment? I call BS, that's just another excuse for taking the easy way out. It all boils down to a personal choice, and we "all" have a choice.

Thank You and Congrats. It's all about presonal choice.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

Capt Ray....I think you may have misunderstood what I meant by my post. I too was raised in a split home and had to take care of myself and two younger brothers. Retired from the military. What I meant was this childs behavior in school doesnt surprise me considering the mom attacked the teacher. This child probably has poor examples at home. What happened was dead wrong and people should be held accountable. I totally agree we all have a choice. Hope this clears my comment up a bit. Thank you for your service

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S View Post
    And according to others, he's a chair polisher.
    LOL I didn't say he didn't get out in the field--- I'm sure he owns some polishing pants. --- BTW it is --Chair Shiner

There was a time in my life that I was homeless. Summer wasn't bad-- Winter --- I was walking down the street looking for unlocked cars to sleep in. Anyone ever seen the show Hollywood Knights???? Well I ran into a "Smitty----- We don't work on bikecycles " when I was about 11-12. I have been a motor head as far back as i can remember. When i was 15 I paid cash for a 56 chevy. Mel------ ( Smitty)--- schooled me on rebuilding the complete car.

Fast forward a few years--- Somehow Mel heard I was homeless, He hired me to work in his shop----- and he let me live in the shop--- I was extremely grateful, but I wish the shop had hot water--- cold showers from a garden hose sucks---- drying off in front of a space heater is almost as bad, in the dead of an Iowa winter.

I saved enough money to put a deposit and first month rent on an apartment. --- He offered me a partnership in the shop---- I was a teenager and scared Shitless of going in debt $5000--- yep--- $5000, That was twice what a new car cost then. He had to move his shop because of urban renewal and he moved it out to his farm. ------

Anyone that knows me--- knows I have no problem giving anyone a hand up------I have been there---- A handout is something I despise. Getting off this subject a bit--- I used to give to every Charitable Contribution-------- after researching all of them---- only a few are worthy of receiving my donations.

By the way---- after sending Larry an Email---- I found out where Doc and Kenny live
    Last edited by Bassman Ia.; 11-03-2015 at 08:07 PM.

I guess I was the only one who figured "He did not have a good home to have breakfast in" as a tongue and cheek jab

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast