Thread: Speed

Speed

How fast should a 25 ft south bay triton on with a 250 hp Suzuki ss go the dealer has put two props on it the best I've got out of it is about 45 to 46 I was told it would be a 50 to 51 mph boat

2. Member
    I'm assuming "triton" means tri-toon or is that the model name? If it is a tri-toon does it have lifting strakes? That makes a big difference when looking for some speed. What is the 250 taching at WOT with the props? ...... and remember what you're told and what really is can vary quite a bit. My 22' Bennington tri-toon with a Merc 175 Pro Xs runs 45 mpg GPS with the bimini up and a full fishing load.

3. Member
    Yes it a tri-toon and it does lifting strikes it will turn the one on it now about 55 or 56 hundred rpms the one before it would do about 58 to 6000 rpms it has a three blade Suzuki prop on it now the first was a Mercury

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Maybe by yourself and no fuel.

If you stick in 3 to 8 folks it isn't going to run close to that,

You want a prop that will give you Max WOT RPM, not that you will hardly ever see it. You don't want one that will over rev.

Pontoon have a lot of drag and want be very fast when loaded. You will though be blowing away all the other toons out there with 150 motors, and burning less fuel.

5. Member
    are you using a gps to get your speed or the boat speedometer, they are hardly ever right