Thread: gas spewing

gas spewing

I have a 2012 z8 and anytime I put gas in the boat, gas always seems to spew out. almost like a little explosion of gas out of the tank. no matter how fast or slow i pump the gas into the tank or how full or empty my tank is, it always does it! Gas gets all over my boat when this happens, and I spend 15-20 minutes cleaning up. wondering if anyone has a quick fix for this problem or if anyone else is experiencing this. Thank you!

2. Member
    Don't overfill it.

Is it spewing out when the tank reaches full level or is it constantly spewing? I can always hear when the gas is starting to creep up the gas tank hose inside the boat when it's reaching full... it has a different pitch to it. So I just stop pumping at that point because it's full. You're not letting the pump shut itself off are you? If so, it'll spew out. Manually pump until you hear that your tank is full. You can also turn the key to the on position and watch as the tank fills up to give you a 'heads up' that it's getting close to full (if your gauge is accurate). Even if it's not 100% accurate, it should give you plenty of time to start listening for that certain pitch.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

3. Member
    Sounds like a venting issue(assuming you arent overfilling as mentioned above)

4. Member
    +1 Check vent line. There have been a few older posts about this issue and believe they added some sort of control valve made by Attwood. Try a search for Attwood to see if it matches your conditions. Haven't had the problem on my boat.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

5. Member
    Thank you all for the help! It definitely isn't full. Ive never put more than 3/4 of a tank in it. I usually only even put gas in it when I'm on 1/8 of a tank.

6. Member
    DNF - I installed an Attwood valve a few years ago and it pretty much eliminated the fuel belching...before that I would pull out my passenger side storage box and with my tank I can see the fuel sloshing around in the tank. I don't 100% trust my gas gauge either so I still take a look from time to time to check the fuel level.

Here the thread - I posted pics on the second page.

http://www.bbcboards.net/nitro-boats...tank-up-2.html

Good Luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

Yeah the new valves are a good deal. Ur issue is most likely a low spot in your fuel vent line that is holding fuel, and not allowing air to vent properly. U can try elevating your vent line to let excess fuel drain back into the tank.
    Last edited by BMCD; 10-28-2015 at 04:18 PM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    A little trick I use filling mine is turn the fuel handle upside down while filling. The blow back you are experiencing is due to the fuel becoming restricted in the fill hose before the tank and the flow is too fast. Turning the handle upside down and slowly increasing the flow allows the fuel to flow against the bottom of the fill hose line. It works with my Z-9.
    2009 NITRO Z-9
    2009 MERCURY 250 PRO XS
    LAKESIDE BOAT REPAIR FISHING TEAM

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ-9 View Post
    A little trick I use filling mine is turn the fuel handle upside down while filling. The blow back you are experiencing is due to the fuel becoming restricted in the fill hose before the tank and the flow is too fast. Turning the handle upside down and slowly increasing the flow allows the fuel to flow against the bottom of the fill hose line. It works with my Z-9.
    Had the same problem and this works for me, 2008 929

10. Member
    Great!! Thanks for all the help guys!!!

The angled at a 36 1/2 degree upside down canted at a 12 degree approach works for me as well Still get belching from time to time. Ill have to invest in the attwood valve eventually. Also, after consulting my dealer about this issue, they suggested I remove the vent line at each T and blow compressed air towards the fill neck. Hope you get this resolved, it's very frustrating when a hole in the water you throw money into won't take the money you want to throw in it and spits it back out at you.
    Kyle Delahoussaye
    2012 NITRO Z8 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 7 G1, HDS 7G2T
    MK Fortrex 112, Bob's Action Jac

12. Member
    Turning the handle upside down also helps on my Z7.

13. Member
    Looks like I'll be turning handle upside down, I got mine to stop but I have to pump super slow, I'm talking 5 minutes to get $10

14. Member
    The vent is too small for the amount of air that gets trapped in the tank when filling. The tank is plastic and as the fuel goes in the air has to go out of the vent line which can't release the air fast enough. This in turn causes the plastic tank to swell like a balloon until the air pressure gets high enough to overcome the pressure of the fuel going in causing it to push the fuel in the filler neck back out. I can put the nozzle in my Z9 and put it half open for a few seconds and then shut it off (no gas going in) and it will puke the gas back out. I have learned to just put gas in slow so the vent can keep up but if I was like most guys that run a lot of fuel through the boat I would add bigger vent line and have duel vent outlets. The way it is set up now I have 1 vent beside the gas cap and it has a small (3/8" i think) line going down to a vent on the port side of the fuel tank and then continues on to the starboard side.

15. Member
    Anyone have a link to this valve? The old post seems to be gone 404.

16. Member

I never had an issue with My z9s mainly because I lifted the vent line from time to time. Fuel gets in the vent line and allows pressure to build.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

18. Member
    I haven't looked up a link for it but this is the one I installed.

Good Luck.

-Jonathan

Attwood Inlet Control Valve
    Attwood Corporation Inlet Control Valve
    Price: $33.38

Inlet Control Valve

• The inlet valve allows proper fuel flow into the fuel tank during refueling
    • As the fuel tank reaches full liquid capacity, the inlet valve works in conjunction with the fill limit vent valve to ensure zero spitback/wellback and automatic nozzle shutoff
    • Supports 4-18gpm refueling rates
    • Built-in over-fill and over-pressure relief safety features when used in an Attwood system
    • 2 year warranty

Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ-9 View Post
    What I have to do with mine. Upside down and really slow. I keep a bottle of water on the deck to rinse the boat and trailer because it still does it every once in awhile. I’ve already had to buff the fender because the gas started to strip the paint
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225