Pricing guidance for 2016 RT188 (lots of upgrades)

Hey everyone -- just posting the details about my RT188 that is going up for sale and curious to get your thoughts on a fair asking price. I'll share my exact dealer cost and the upgrades. Just not too familiar with the immediate depreciation on boats and I want to get it submitted to BBC soon. Don't want to shoot myself in the foot considering some of the upgrades were pricey, but I know I'll take a hit too.

A few quick notes:

- boat has been on the lake once (twice counting dealer water test)
    - less than 4 hours...didn't quite finish break in
    - kept outside but fully covered (only been a few weeks)

Upgrades:

- Platinum Mercury Extended Coverage for 5 years post factory warranty (through 09/04/2023)
    - MercMonitor (L2) w/ SmartCraft Gauge (installed in place of factory spedo)
    - Mercury engine harness installed for MercMonitor
    - Lowrance HDS-12 Gen3 bow mounted (using 4" BBT mount)
    - Lowrance HDS-9 Gen3 console mounted (using BBT console mount for RT188)
    - Two DuraSafe E-Lock kits for HDS units (not installed)
    - NEMA2000 Network installed and both HDS units are networked
    - HDS-12 unit up front also has the universal sonar from the Fortrex TM connected
    - LSS2 and HDI transducer installed (cables run) but not mounted to boat yet (that was the next step)
    - 4 brand new life vests from Bass Pro Shops
    - digital trim sender kit (not installed)
    - some other minor accessories

Boat itself:

- 2016 Ranger RT188 in Charcoal color (single console)
    - Mercury 115HP 4S (w/ custom cover from Merc)
    - Dual Pro 15x3 Battery Charger
    - Fortrex 24V 80LB US Trolling Motor
    - Ranger RT188 Factory Cover
    - Auto Bilge Pump
    - Stainless Ladder
    - Front Rod Strap
    - Recirculating Pump
    - SS Prop
    - 4" Hydraulic Jack Plate
    - Aluminum Spare
    - Aluminum Wheel Upgrade
    - Upgraded Tie Downs
    - Trailer Brakes

Dealer price BEFORE the upgrades listed above (just the boat and factory options) was $30,821.52. That includes taxes, freight and dealer prep.

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.

2015-09-04 14.55.23-1.jpg2015-09-04 14.56.04.jpg2015-09-04 14.56.43.jpg2015-10-04 17.26.37.jpg2015-10-04 17.27.09.jpg

Man, that is a NICE boat. Totally loaded. Sad that you have to move on it... I wish the best for your family.

I would not want to offer a suggested price because boats take such a hit when they leave the parking lot....no matter what.... Also it is not a great time of the year to sell a boat with everybody more interested in the deer woods and football and upcoming holidays than fishing. Dealers also start seriously wanting to clear inventory about now and not have their money tied up all winter, so they offer some very good deals from the "dealer price" or MSRP that you referred to above.

I would take these things into account and if I had a good reasonable offer, I would probably take it. It probably won't seem fair to you - but timing is not great either..... You should accept that you won't get your money back out of it though. It will only get lots tougher to sell in a few more weeks.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    Man, that is a NICE boat. Totally loaded. Sad that you have to move on it... I wish the best for your family.

I would not want to offer a suggested price because boats take such a hit when they leave the parking lot....no matter what.... Also it is not a great time of the year to sell a boat with everybody more interested in the deer woods and football and upcoming holidays than fishing. Dealers also start seriously wanting to clear inventory about now and not have their money tied up all winter, so they offer some very good deals from the "dealer price" or MSRP that you referred to above.

I would take these things into account and if I had a good reasonable offer, I would probably take it. It probably won't seem fair to you - but timing is not great either..... You should accept that you won't get your money back out of it though. It will only get lots tougher to sell in a few more weeks.
    Sadly I have to agree with this. Hope it works out for you. That's and amazing set up.
    Prayers for your family.

I would figure what you have in it total then talk with some dealers, loan officers, and others with knowledge as to a percentage depreciation based on your area and age. Tell them your looking for high retail not trade or loan value. I have no idea what that percentage would be. Best of grace to you and your family.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 10-27-2015 at 08:01 PM.

5. Member
    The RT188 is on my list for sure, I've looked at them more than once. Sorry to hear about your circumstances for the sale and wish your little guy all the best. Mike.

6. Member
    Thanks everyone for the feedback and prayers/well wishes.

It's certainly a case of bad timing and an unfortunate situation to be in. I know I'll definitely take a hit, was just looking for a rough starting price both to ensure I wasn't over priced or too low. Guess I'll just have to feel it out.

Wondering if it would end up being better if I held on through the winter and listed it during early spring. Won't be running it so it will stay clean.

I would say personally, that a boat like that will sell for the same price in the winter as it would in the spring. Just cant downgrade anything on a boat that NICE. My Thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by ckeck View Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback and prayers/well wishes.

It's certainly a case of bad timing and an unfortunate situation to be in. I know I'll definitely take a hit, was just looking for a rough starting price both to ensure I wasn't over priced or too low. Guess I'll just have to feel it out.

Wondering if it would end up being better if I held on through the winter and listed it during early spring. Won't be running it so it will stay clean.
    I would go ahead and list it and see what happens. You never know. It depends a lot on where you are and you being in Texas rather than say Maine definitely helps you out some. If it doesn't sell, then you can always sell it in the spring. In general, people just don't buy something like that if it is not the season..... And it's hard to get your best asking price if the buyers are slim. Our lakes in Arkansas have fewer and fewer people every week with deer season here.

I have bought and sold quite a few high end used things like campers, motor home RVs, boats, cars, etc. I had rather buy used sometimes on a high ticket item and save some money. I have seen a lot of people think their item was worth very close to new price even though it is used. Also optional accessories many times sell the item faster and make it easier to sell, but don't add as much as you think to the final sell price. You can buy a new RT188 for the mid 20s with pretty good accessories --- but not as nice as you have.

I would go ahead and list it on here in the Boats For Sale area with Al and see what happens. I think the listing is good for 6 months or something like that. It is a very nice boat, and the RT hull is very popular.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA