Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by RERUN View Post
    That would be an Excursion that's on a F250 frame, just saying.
    I knew it was E-something.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Have you ridden in a current 3/4 ton? My coworker just got a 2015 GMC 2500 and while it was a tad firmer than my 1500 it was still a great riding truck in my opinion.
    Tad firmer=stiffer. They have improved but slap a lift kit, even 4 inches, change out tires and it doesn't get softer for sure. I'm interested in the new Nissan Titan XD and may be the only thing to get me out of my truck now. Making towing a breeze for a lot of things without the overkill of a 3/4 ton truck based on my needs. Everyone has a preference but that's really got me thinking about an update

3. Member
    if you are towing over 6000 pounds get a 3/4 ton.i tow a 5000 pound trailer with a 2014 silverado 1500 5.3 3:42 and it handles it just fine tow rating is 9900 pounds but dont think i would ever push it that much.. but my mpg drops from 22 to 10-12.if you are only towing a bassboat or smaller trailer the 1500 will be fine

I recently sold my camper but it pulled just fine behind my 1/2 ton Silverado with 6.2. It was a 32' light weight camper. The Silverado's with 6.2's have 4 wheel disk brakes and transmission coolers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyra1 View Post
    Tad firmer=stiffer. They have improved but slap a lift kit, even 4 inches, change out tires and it doesn't get softer for sure. I'm interested in the new Nissan Titan XD and may be the only thing to get me out of my truck now. Making towing a breeze for a lot of things without the overkill of a 3/4 ton truck based on my needs. Everyone has a preference but that's really got me thinking about an update
    It might be more firm than my 1500 but my truck is pretty soft actually and the 3/4 still has a better ride than my dad's Tacoma. Like I said, you need to ride in a new one to see what its really like.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Banned
    half tons are capable. just make sure you are pulling it efficiently. aligned height hitch to tongue, weight distribution bars, sway control bars, functional brakes on trailer, etc.

i am comfortable towing up to 75% of the max. You can obviously push it higher on paper, but in my experience it becomes kind of a shitty towing experience (lack of power, etc).

Thanks for all the input guys
    Support 81

8. Banned
    I tow a Flagstaff 27VRL with my 1500 Ram. Tows it just fine after getting the WDH dialed in.

Look at the gears in the axle. Lots of 3.08 in trucks lately for mileage. Also the newer half ton dodges are coil springs in the rear. My boss has one and doesnt do well with heavier loads. But the hemi is a great engine. Todays 1/2tons are better at towing than trucks of say 10+ years ago.

10. Member
    Before you get ready for a new 3/4 ton truck find the camper you want and be sure the 3/4 ton can handle it. I made the mistake thinking my 3/4 ton 8ft bed could handle most slide in campers. Wrong! I should have decided on the camper first then the truck to carry it. I needed a 3500 for the camper I want. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF View Post
    Before you get ready for a new 3/4 ton truck find the camper you want and be sure the 3/4 ton can handle it. I made the mistake thinking my 3/4 ton 8ft bed could handle most slide in campers. Wrong! I should have decided on the camper first then the truck to carry it. I needed a 3500 for the camper I want. Good luck!
    Very good advice.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

12. Member
    the 5.7 Toyota is a beast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12