Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1412
  1. Member
    HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM,HAVE BOUGHT NEW TRANSDUCER. ONLY GET SI @400 & 800 NOT VERY GOOD DETAIL MOSTLY JUST DOTS ON SI NO MATTER HOW I ADJUST SETTINGS.
    THESE UNITS SEEM LIKE JUNK,HAVE HELIX 10 DI ON FRONT ALWAYS HAS PROBLEMS LOSING BOTTOM BOTH GEN 2 . NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH 797 SI OR 1199 SI.
    ANY HELP OUT THERE?

2. Member
    Have you updated the software lately? There have been many changes in the past year or 2.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

I recently purchased a new boat. It is a Lund 1875 Pro Guide (Aluminum) Tiller equipped with a Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N (UNIT 1, subscribee) and a Helix 10 CHIRP GPS G3N (Unit 2, subscriber) in the back cockpit. It also has an Ulterra I pilot-link BT 80/MDI 24 volt at the bow.

Unit one is rigged with a Y cable to the two transducers (I believe these are the correct ones) XM 9 HW MSI T and XNT 9 HW T at the transom on an aluminum 1875 pro guide tiller. The Dealer rigged everything. I updated both units to v 2.180 software, and the Ulterra and controller are both current with software too. The Ulterra I pilot-link is ethernet hooked up, but the MDI transducer is not hooked up.
    QUESTION? What cables do I need to hook the down imaging transducer on the Ulterra?: Adapter cable/MKR MDI-1-HB Helix and an EC M10-10’ extension for seven pin or an EC M3 14W10-14pin 10” transducer extension??? One way is less expensive by about $30+.

QUESTION? The only transducer slot open is on Unit 2, but Unit 2 is sonar only so I will not get to use the DI on the Ulterra DI transducer unless I replace my Unit 2 with DI or put another DI unit at the bow? If I put another unit at the bow, I will have to run an ethernet and power cables to the back of the boat where the 5 port ethernet box and battery are.
    As of now, I will shut Unit 2 sonar down and share Sonars with Unit 1; otherwise, I will use Unit 2 solely for mapping or until I get Unit 2 hooked up to the Ulterra transducer. QUESTION? Will that be ok to use just the sonar from the Ulterra DI transducer on Unit 2? QUESTION? I presume I will have to select the Ulterra transducer on Unit 2? I do not believe one can share that signal with Unit 1 and see the DI through Unit 2? Sorry for the length. Thanks for any help.

Honkerherms
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Honkerherms View Post
    I recently purchased a new boat. It is a Lund 1875 Pro Guide (Aluminum) Tiller equipped with a Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N (UNIT 1, subscribee) and a Helix 10 CHIRP GPS G3N (Unit 2, subscriber) in the back cockpit. It also has an Ulterra I pilot-link BT 80/MDI 24 volt at the bow.

Unit one is rigged with a Y cable to the two transducers (I believe these are the correct ones) XM 9 HW MSI T and XNT 9 HW T at the transom on an aluminum 1875 pro guide tiller. The Dealer rigged everything. I updated both units to v 2.180 software, and the Ulterra and controller are both current with software too. The Ulterra I pilot-link is ethernet hooked up, but the MDI transducer is not hooked up.
    QUESTION? What cables do I need to hook the down imaging transducer on the Ulterra?: Adapter cable/MKR MDI-1-HB Helix and an EC M10-10’ extension for seven pin or an EC M3 14W10-14pin 10” transducer extension??? One way is less expensive by about $30+.

QUESTION? The only transducer slot open is on Unit 2, but Unit 2 is sonar only so I will not get to use the DI on the Ulterra DI transducer unless I replace my Unit 2 with DI or put another DI unit at the bow? If I put another unit at the bow, I will have to run an ethernet and power cables to the back of the boat where the 5 port ethernet box and battery are.
    As of now, I will shut Unit 2 sonar down and share Sonars with Unit 1; otherwise, I will use Unit 2 solely for mapping or until I get Unit 2 hooked up to the Ulterra transducer. QUESTION? Will that be ok to use just the sonar from the Ulterra DI transducer on Unit 2? QUESTION? I presume I will have to select the Ulterra transducer on Unit 2? I do not believe one can share that signal with Unit 1 and see the DI through Unit 2? Sorry for the length. Thanks for any help.

Honkerherms
    Jeff
    What's wrong with your dealer that did not connect everything that is required?

MKR-MI-1 for a Helix. That converts the SOLIX 14-pin plug to Helix 7-pin plug and is 30" long. Don't need any other cable unless the MDI cable is too short. None are mentioned in the Minnkota compatibility listing.

You can share SI and DI and 2D sonar from other unit/s to a CHIRP unit with Ethernet.
    You can connect the Minnkota MDI transducer to a CHIRP unit to have HW CHIRP, but you still need the MKR-MI-1 to do it.
    You can display every sonar technology on every unit as long as at least one of them has the technology to share. That is done in the Network menu.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Wayne thanks for the help. I need to measure for sure, but about 10' is needed to connect the EC M10-10' into the Helix cable connector tray and into the back of Unit 2. Then up to where I need to plug the MKR MDI-1 into the transducer extension and connect its other end to the 14 pin transducer or Solix connection on the Ulterra. The EC M10-10' transducer extension is approximately $50 and the EC M3 14W-14 pin 10' extension is approximately $80. So I believe one could use either to do the hook-up ...just that one saves me $30. And you have to have the MKR MDI-1 on one end or the other. Question? The seven pin from either the EC M10 or MKR MDI-1 should hook into the Helix connector tray slot for the transducer? I do not know why the dealer didn't hook it up, but the Covid thing has them shut down now, but I will find out. Again, thanks for the confirmation answers. This forum has helped me a lot understanding these new birds.

Honkerherms
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Honkerherms View Post
    Wayne thanks for the help. I need to measure for sure, but about 10' is needed to connect the EC M10-10' into the Helix cable connector tray and into the back of Unit 2. Then up to where I need to plug the MKR MDI-1 into the transducer extension and connect its other end to the 14 pin transducer or Solix connection on the Ulterra. The EC M10-10' transducer extension is approximately $50 and the EC M3 14W-14 pin 10' extension is approximately $80. So I believe one could use either to do the hook-up ...just that one saves me $30. And you have to have the MKR MDI-1 on one end or the other. Question? The seven pin from either the EC M10 or MKR MDI-1 should hook into the Helix connector tray slot for the transducer? I do not know why the dealer didn't hook it up, but the Covid thing has them shut down now, but I will find out. Again, thanks for the confirmation answers. This forum has helped me a lot understanding these new birds.

Honkerherms
    Jeff
    The EC M10 is the shortest 7-pin extension cable to connect to the display. Would still need the MKR-MI-1 for the Minnkota transducer conversion to 7-pin.

The EC M3 14W10 does cost more to do the same extension length and still needs the MKR-MI-1 to convert to 7-pin.

Makes more sense to spend the least for the same connection between the MDI transducer and display.

If you have to use one of the extension cables that would be 12 1/2' from the MDI plug to the display. Hopefully all you need is the MKR-MI-1.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    So Ive been through alot of this thread and searched but have not found what Im looking for. I have a GEN 1 H12 GPS/Sonar on the bow. I have it hooked to 360 and the US2. What settings for sonar should I be using with the US2 in regaurds to transducer, chirp mode, and switchfire? Is the transducer that came with the unit any better than the US2? Thanks!
    1990 Champion 184DC/FS
    1990 Evinrude 150XP Raker 22P
    2x HB Helix 9SI
    MK Ultrex 80# Ipilot

The US2 is Generic 83/200 kHz.

You can use CHIRP or not, your choice. CHIRP improves the way returns are displayed.

Swithfire MAX is using manual adjustments.
    Switchire CLEAR is mostly automatic settings
    Try both and use whichever suits you.

Some don't like the performance of the US2 and install a Humminbird trolling motor puck on the bottom of the motor.
    US2 means Universal Sonar version two that is adaptable for several sonar brands that use 83/200 kHz.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Ok thanks. It appears I cannot turn the chirp off. I can only select medium, high, or both.
    1990 Champion 184DC/FS
    2x HB Helix 9SI
    MK Ultrex 80# Ipilot

10. Member
    Is it still recommended that you do the updates in succession or can you skip to the newest and be fine? Id be skipping from original software and the first update.
    1990 Champion 184DC/FS
    2x HB Helix 9SI
    MK Ultrex 80# Ipilot

Quote Originally Posted by druthomas View Post
    Is it still recommended that you do the updates in succession or can you skip to the newest and be fine? Id be skipping from original software and the first update.
    If the description for the software doesn't specifically state you need an in-between software version, the last update has all previous changes included.

The download for current SOLIX software includes three software versions for a stepped update.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    OK thanks, I know there were some bad update things happening a year or 2 ago.
    1990 Champion 184DC/FS
    2x HB Helix 9SI
    MK Ultrex 80# Ipilot

Quote Originally Posted by druthomas View Post
    OK thanks, I know there were some bad update things happening a year or 2 ago.
    That is why there are newer software versions than what you have.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    Ok I get it, so I have never updated my 360 software. Should update the graph software first then do the 360 update?
    1990 Champion 184DC/FS
    2x HB Helix 9SI
    MK Ultrex 80# Ipilot

15. Member
    Never mind I just noticed the date!
    1990 Champion 184DC/FS
    2x HB Helix 9SI
    MK Ultrex 80# Ipilot

16. Member
    Ok experts, I have a few questions. Been trying to do my research but I'm getting stuck so I'll jut ask. I'll give a few specifics first. Have a MK Ulterra trolling motor and looking at getting 2 units, probably a Helix 8 or 9 for the front and a Helix 9 or 10 for the back, or vise versa, I'll accept opinions on that also! Now the questions:
    1 Are all of the new units Gen 3 now?
    2 Are all of the new units Chirp Mega Imaging?
    3 I see that units can be networked to each other and some of them are sold as Head Units only, so does that mean I don't need transducers for both if they are networked?
    4 I read that if only 2 units are networked together, the network box is not needed, just a network cable going from unit to unit, is this the case?
    5 I know that the front unit can use the transducer in the Ulterra, is that recommended or no?

This is just the beginning and I know I will have more questions in the future, but thanks in advance for the help!!

1. No. The current Solix units are G2 .... the current Helix models are G3, but there are some special Helix G2 units being sold in some stores.
    2. Yes
    3. Yes If you have 2 units networked you can share a single transducer between them ..... or just use one for mapping.
    4. Yes .... maybe a network and adpator cable depending on the model.
    5. It depends on which unit and what transducer is in the Ulterra
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

18. Member
    Thank you Bob B!! I'm looking at the Helix models. Next set of questions, and I know these may be personal preference questions so opinions may vary but anyway:
    1 I fish in shallow grassy water Florida! I'd definitely go with SI/DI on the back but is it beneficial to go SI/DI on the front versus 1 or the other.
    2 I hear a lot of chatter about thru hull transducers. Are those necessary? Are they better?

Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jpadge View Post
    Thank you Bob B!! I'm looking at the Helix models. Next set of questions, and I know these may be personal preference questions so opinions may vary but anyway:
    1 I fish in shallow grassy water Florida! I'd definitely go with SI/DI on the back but is it beneficial to go SI/DI on the front versus 1 or the other.
    2 I hear a lot of chatter about thru hull transducers. Are those necessary? Are they better?

Thanks again!!
    1. I personally want to have SI on the front. You will sometimes notice something off to the side .... but I don't fish those kind of waters much.

2. It depends on your boat hull and whether you are having problems with reading bottom at high speed. I don't have one on my boat, but have an aluminum boat and added a 2D skimmer transducer on the transom instead. It works fine for my and my boat topping out a little less than 40 MPH.

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

Quote Originally Posted by Jpadge View Post

Thanks again!!
    That term is misused a lot. A thru-hull transducer is installed by drilling a 1"+ hole through the hull bottom or transom extension with the transducer on the exterior, the stem goes through the hull and a nut goes on the threaded stem. That type is for non-planning slow hulls. It can be a Side Imaging transducer.
    https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...p-plastic-thru

Some call a Shoot-thru the above term. A shoot-thru is epoxied inside the bilge and the sonar pulses pass through the hull material (typically thin fiberglass). Used on high performance hulls. A 2D-only transducer is used for that and the SI transducer is put on the transom with the two transducers connected to the display via Y cable.
    https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...ull-transducer
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 67 of 71 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast