Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
  1. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFish! View Post
    What's the actual screen size, both horizontal and vertical? On the 10 and 12 models.
    Best bet is to ask Doug to measure for us, as he's laid hands on the 9 & 10.....maybe even touched a 12.

What do you say Doug???
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

2. Member
    I already have a Helix5 SI GPS at my console over the steering wheel. I might be interested in running one of these other units to the side. Can i just run a splitter instead of having two transducers mounted on my boat? Thanks!

Will autochart live available on these?
    1998 Triton TR-19
    175 Evinrude Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by FlippinPigs View Post
    I already have a Helix5 SI GPS at my console over the steering wheel. I might be interested in running one of these other units to the side. Can i just run a splitter instead of having two transducers mounted on my boat? Thanks!

Will autochart live available on these?
    No, Ethernet is the only way to share a transducer and the Helix 5 and Helix 7 series are not Ethernet capable.

Obviously the processor cannot handle Autochart Live. It can't even handle a full mapping card at speed. The low cost = low performance just like the discontinued 600 series and smaller units.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotem View Post
    How do these unit work at night or dusk when regular light settings blind your night vision? I know the Lowrance units have a green night setting. Anything similar with the Helix?
    They will have the usual dimming feature and different colour options the core units always have. With no touch I put on a red perspex overlay at night which does not affect your night vision. I have many times asked HB to add a red option but no nice. Not hard to do.
    John

Solix 12, Helix 12, Onix 10

5. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar

What HE (Wayne) said!

You will require 2 or more of the Helix 9-10-12 to perform duties as such.

Helix_12_Rap_Sheet.jpg

Once you've discovered the network factor, it's likely you won't want a single machine ever again.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

Quote Originally Posted by Gotem View Post
    How do these unit work at night or dusk when regular light settings blind your night vision? I know the Lowrance units have a green night setting. Anything similar with the Helix?
    You can adjust the backlight but there are numerous color pallets and lots of options for low light conditions.
    --

http://www.dougvahrenberg.com/

BASS Central Open- Competitive Bass Angler and Humminbird Guru
    Visit my website to learn about my sponsor's products, fishing tips and techniques.

Learn More About Humminbird Side Imaging Visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaginggroup/

Quote Originally Posted by fisher12 View Post
    Thanks doug.while your out testing,could you get a di shot on your helix si unit,using the DI from the si.Then get the same Di shot,using the same helix si unit,but using the DI transducer from your helix di unit. (I think that would be an interesting comparison shot).once again thanks.
    That might be difficult to get but will try. Guess I could do it by using the trolling motor over the structure if I can keep the boat inline over it. I'll see what I can do. I want to catch a few too....
    --

Visit my website to learn about my sponsor's products, fishing tips and techniques.

Learn More About Humminbird Side Imaging Visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaginggroup/

What's the actual screen size, both horizontal and vertical? On the 10 and 12 models.
    Well....Assuming the aspect ratio is 16:9 and the widths are exactly 9,10, and 12.

The 9 would be 9(w) x 5.06(h) x 10.3(hor)
    The 10 would be 10(w) x 5.63(h) x 11.48(hor)
    The 12 would be 12(w) x 6.75(h) x 13.77(hor)
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Vahrenberg View Post
    ONIX/ION are alive and well and still the Premier Product Line from Humminbird. Just like Skeeter Boats they sell FX and ZX Series Boats. Both are great products but they don't upgrade all at the same time. HELIX is the Newest Addition and is replacing the CORE Series 600, 800, 900 & 1100 Series Products. HELIX is based off tried and true Humminbird Sonar Technology with some added new features & hardware that also offers more affordability to more anglers. Not every can afford the ONIX or needs all the features of the ONIX. The HELIX will be a great product for them. But if you want the Premier Features, Latest Technology and Highest Detail Level then ONIX is your answer. 2 Great Product Lines with lots of Differences.
    The newest helix units are exactly what I've been looking for for years. I made a thread in the lounge last year about the need for larger units without so much "stuff" on them that would be affordable. I don't get to fish enough to eve learn how to use all the features the onix has. I don't need wifi, 360, SI on the front, etc. These units will be almost perfect for me. I don't get why the 9 & 10 doesn't have chirp. They would really hurt lowrance elite if they did. The only other thing is I wish you could add SI/DInto the base units later if you wanted. I've never owned a HB in my life but I'm about to have a 9 & 10. I may get 2 9's if the 10's aren't coming out soon. I'm glad I held off ordering the 2 core units last week now.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredglass View Post
    I wish you could add SI/DInto the base units later if you wanted. I've never owned a HB in my life but I'm about to have a 9 & 10. I may get 2 9's if the 10's aren't coming out soon. I'm glad I held off ordering the 2 core units last week now.
    If they support the SM2000 module, it might be possible to add SI and DI after the fact......but those modules aren't real cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybass2 View Post
    Doug,
    I'm looking to add a 3rd (and perhaps a forth) unit to my boat. Please share details on what is shared between HELIX and ONIX across the network.
    Map Sharing (like Onix)? No, answered elsewhere
    Heading Sensor sharing (like Onix)?
    2D SI DI 360 sharing (like Onix)?

also, how does the 360 SI DI compare between Onix and Helix?

Heading Sensor could not be shared from the ONIX to HELIX but it can share between HELIX and HELIX

Transducer Sharing between ONIX and HELIX I could not get it to do that only sharing waypoints. Waypoints both ways I created one on HELIX and shared on ONIX, Created one on ONIX and shared to HELIX
    --

12. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Bob, its probably actually a metric panel size - plus the two largest are actually called out on the HB pages as 101 & 12.1 displays.
    If the aspect ratio is truly 16:9 that should be a pretty good "By Guess, By Golly" estimate.
    This is listed for the 12:
    Unit Size - In dash Mount:14.86"W x 8.83"H x 1.36"H
    Comparing to your size estimate of the 12 would be 12(w) x 6.75(h) x 13.77(hor) that would leave just 1.09" for keypad & bezel.

Lofty, huh?

I could imagine the vertical difference of 2.08" is maybe lofty also.
    I just hope Doug gets the sizes he has posted - he knows the drill.
    We always ask him, he delivers. Maybe not as soon as everyone wishes - but when the Honchos say "go time", Doug's out thumping the lumber & scoping out the tuna.....lol
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

Quote Originally Posted by fisher12 View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.? ( I've read so much,and the info is scattered everwere,so I can't remember were I saw this) but I believe that a di helix,linked to a si helix will share transducers.(this meens that both units will have dedicated di)
    I could not get this to work today but will ask.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by bigredglass View Post
    The newest helix units are exactly what I've been looking for for years. I made a thread in the lounge last year about the need for larger units without so much "stuff" on them that would be affordable. I don't get to fish enough to eve learn how to use all the features the onix has. I don't need wifi, 360, SI on the front, etc. These units will be almost perfect for me. I don't get why the 9 & 10 doesn't have chirp. They would really hurt lowrance elite if they did. The only other thing is I wish you could add SI/DInto the base units later if you wanted. I've never owned a HB in my life but I'm about to have a 9 & 10. I may get 2 9's if the 10's aren't coming out soon. I'm glad I held off ordering the 2 core units last week now.
    This is not Economy CHIRP that the 12 Offers it's a much broader range and not limited minimal frequency points being used. We will learn more on Humminbird CHIRP. There is a big differences in CHIRP Technology and Costs from limited range economy CHIRP to the Full Spectrum Real CHIRP that scans numerous frequencies. Sure cost of Humminbird CHIRP System is one of the big reasons to not out price the HELIX 9 and HELIX 10 out of the Price Range they are priced at.
    --

I don't access to a HELIX 12 but do have HELIX 9 and HELIX 12 to measure

HELIX 9: Width 7 3/4" Height 4 1/4" Diagonal 9"
    HELIX 10: Width 8 3/8" Height 5" Diagonal 10"

--

Ahhhh ..... unit size is diagonal size

17. Member
    does anyone know how much wider the 12 is compared to the 1199. I would like to add a helix 12 to my dash and move the 1199 to the bow but the 1199s gimbal bracket is about as big as I can fit on my dash due to my windshield.

also will the helix be able to use the 1199 transducers I already have mounted on the boat.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Vahrenberg View Post
    This is not Economy CHIRP that the 12 Offers it's a much broader range and not limited minimal frequency points being used. We will learn more on Humminbird CHIRP. There is a big differences in CHIRP Technology and Costs from limited range economy CHIRP to the Full Spectrum Real CHIRP that scans numerous frequencies. Sure cost of Humminbird CHIRP System is one of the big reasons to not out price the HELIX 9 and HELIX 10 out of the Price Range they are priced at.
    That's kind of what I ws thinking. A more economical chirp version of the smaller 2 would've been nice though. Even the cheaper version chirp on the lowrance has great target seperation. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with what I've read so far. These units will suit me fine at the price I wanted. I can afford the top of the line stuff but it just doesn't make sense to me when I get to fish 4-6 times a month.

19. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    It always has been Bob, always.
    Your TVs are 10.4" DIAGONALLY.
    Lots of surface area compared to a smaller 5" or 7" screen - even though the small ones look better.lol
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

20. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by born 2 fish View Post
    does anyone know how much wider the 12 is compared to the 1199. I would like to add a helix 12 to my dash and move the 1199 to the bow but the 1199s gimbal bracket is about as big as I can fit on my dash due to my windshield.

also will the helix be able to use the 1199 transducers I already have mounted on the boat.

Unit Size - Gimbal Mount:14.86"W x 8/83"H x 4.25"D
    Mount A Type:Gimbal Mount
    Unit Size - Indash Mount:14.86"W x 8.83"H x 1.36"H

http://www.humminbird.com/Products/H...-CHIRP-SI-GPS/

Yes the 9 uses a compact(cSI) the 10 & 12 use HDSI's, you're golden on the mounted hardware, except I too agree that you should swap all of it out......
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast