Yamaha will not trim up/down or crank

Hey guys, running into some trouble getting my boat to trim and crank on my 2014 ranger z119. It seems as if there's zero power to them and I have not been able to figure it out. Ive checked out all the fuses in the rod locker and in my Yamaha SHO 225 and they all seem to be ok, and have reset the little breaker box which is right next to the cranking battery.

Last time I used it my truck battery died so I pulled my cranking battery out of the boat to jump it, and my buddy said he would put it back in while I got everything else together to go. Well turns out he connected the postive connections to the negative port and vise versa... I pulled them all off and fixed it but it still wasnt getting power. All of my other connections work (depthfinders, pumps, poles)...

Im not really sure what else to try and this post probably seems stupid but I wanted to run through any alternative solutions before bringing it in anywhere... If anyone has any Ideas I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

You need to test fuses with a meter to make sure they are not popped and look good. Test for voltage at each end of your wires something has to be tripped
    http://www.scvwl.com
    2013 Ranger 620VS Yamaha 250 and Yamaha 9.9 kicker

3. Member
    I would be willing to bet your overlooking a fuse in the motor somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post
    I would be willing to bet your overlooking a fuse in the motor somewhere
    THIS^^^^^^^^^^^.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    The positive battery post has far less wires attached then the negative post. Usually they are more equal (but not necessarily one for one). I suspect there might be wire(s) not connected or misconnected.

It it hard to see in the picture but it almost looks like the positive cable to the starter is not connected to the positive battery post.
    Last edited by joe621; 10-25-2015 at 04:53 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcorbishleybass View Post
    Hey guys, running into some trouble getting my boat to trim and crank on my 2014 ranger z119. It seems as if there's zero power to them and I have not been able to figure it out. Ive checked out all the fuses in the rod locker and in my Yamaha SHO 225 and they all seem to be ok, and have reset the little breaker box which is right next to the cranking battery.

Last time I used it my truck battery died so I pulled my cranking battery out of the boat to jump it, and my buddy said he would put it back in while I got everything else together to go. Well turns out he connected the postive connections to the negative port and vise versa... I pulled them all off and fixed it but it still wasnt getting power. All of my other connections work (depthfinders, pumps, poles)...

Im not really sure what else to try and this post probably seems stupid but I wanted to run through any alternative solutions before bringing it in anywhere... If anyone has any Ideas I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Mike
    You have blown to of the big fuses on that engine, I did the same thing on one at the shop, it's not your typical fuse, hard for me to tell you what it looks like but I can tell you it is expensive, have to get it from Yam. I am no mechanic by no means but I did do the exact same thing a few years back.
    You might post this in the engine section and get a part number for that fuse.

7. Member
    I had the EXACT same symptoms as you are experiencing but it was on my 2013 Z118 equipped with a Merc 150 4S. First time it happened I was on the water running and when I hit the trim down switch, the motor died and I lost all power to the motor, trim, and console. trolling motor, live well, and graphs all worked. Like you I checked all fuses on the boat and motor with a meter with all checking good. My rig only had less that 10 hours on it so I ended up taking it back to the dealer. They said that they found a ground had come off the engine and that was my cause.

About 2 months later I pulled my boat out of the garage and everything worked (trim actuators) but one lap of my neighborhood to orient the boat on the road and again it lost all power to the motor, trim actuators, and console. Same symptom as before just not on the water this time. Took it back to the dealer again, and this time they told me they found a blown fuse in the rod locker (As this was the second time I was not going to do their troubleshooting for them and did not check fuses). They claimed the fuse blew due to a bare wire up under the console that shorted out again the power block. The dealer claims they took pictures and sent them to Ranger showing how they sent the boat out. Dealer covered the exposed wires and replaced the fuse and called me saying my boat was ready for pick up.

When I went to pick up the boat I got to talking to a tech and he said it was almost like the wire would have gone to a bow switch, but you don't have one. I told him lets go out to my rig, as I had a bow switch when I brought it in to you guys. Low and behold my bow switch was still there, BUT now all power to the bow switches was lost. Dealer claims it was not a power wire to the bow that they found loose under the console, but it sounds like it was.

I am glad to report that after about 4 months and about15 more hours, I have not experienced the loss of power issues on my boat, but I would be lien if I told you that while on the water I don't think about what would I do if it did die again. In other words, am I in trolling motor range of the docks/trailer?

Not saying you have this same issue since the leads were hooked up backwards, but unless I read your issue wrong, the boat lost power just like I did before your battery lead issue.

Hope this helps android luck.

EDIT:
    Hmm. Rereading your initial post it sounds like your power issues started after that battery issues so what happened to me may not apply to you.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

8. Member
    Thank you everyone for the help. Yall were right, turns out I misplaced a fuse when I pulled them out to check them.. Then when I corrected the wiring that was the reason it wasn't working.

Just a stupid mistake on my part all around! So frustrating because I knew it had to be something simple. Guess I'll take it as a learning experience.

Thanks again guys, considering this was my first time posting for advice on here I am extremely impressed with the quick help and I will do my best to contribute in the future.