Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mike Nass Alien cowls 3mph gain!!!!! 250XS tested!!

Well now that i put a full summer with my Mike Nass alien cowl and lots of testing. Im Right around 100hr nows. The Alien cowl alone gave me 2mph, and the Mike Nass cold air intake gave me another 1mph for a tottal of 3mph. For you 300X guys the Cold air intake will work for you guys also.

We are 4 boats running this exact setup and all saw solid gains and ALL running stock programming.

I'm currently testing DBR programming for the 2014+ 300XS, I did a bit of testing so far and i can say its faster then there regular DBR programming. By the looks of it Sunday might be the day for this. Also this sunday im hoping canadabullet will come out and we can test the Mike Nass Alien cowl with cold air intake on his 250xs to see the gains on a 250xs.

Here are pictures of the Cold air intake and what it looks like installed. If you need any more info on this setup ill answer any questions to the best of my ability
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hyperflow; 10-28-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Would like to see a pic with it installed, looks like that goes on throttle body?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Largemouthlou View Post
    Would like to see a pic with it installed, looks like that goes on throttle body?
    The middle picture is installed, It a plate that glues inside the cowl at the top (level with the bottom of the air intakes on a alien cowl). What this does is make the top of your cowling a air box that forces all the air to go directly into the throttle body and isolates the air from going anyplace but straight to the TB.

If you need any more pictures i have one here thats not installed that i can take more pictures of.

4. Member
    This is great information - I just received my Mike Nass Alien Cowl this week and running a 250XS. Can't wait to hear the results of how the 250XS runs on CanadaBullets rig . I might need to purchase that cold air intake for mine.

5. Member
    Is the cool air intake safe to run in the rain?

6. trapp201pro
    If you purchased a Mike Nass cowl that is already in there,or at least it is in mine.It should come with a ring to go on to of you throttle body to fit the hole you see you see in pic. 3

7. Member
    The air plenum/water baffle is sold as an option on the alien cowling. $275 for carbon and $200 for glass.

8. Banned
    Is there a cold air intake on the 300x cowl

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblurr man View Post
    Is the cool air intake safe to run in the rain?

yes. I'm also going to test a frog skin over the hole if I see any performance lose. If there's none that will be the ticket. nothing what so ever would be able to get into the intake. would be safer then factory

10. Banned
    i have one of the first ones made mike nass cowling , got it in 2012 , also have the 1.1 dbr kit. so do you think the cold air kit would still pick up 1 mph. ???
    Last edited by jrbritt; 10-27-2015 at 09:53 AM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbritt View Post
    i have one of the first ones made mike nass cowling , got it in 2012 , also have the 1.1 dbr kit. so do you think the cold air kit would still pick up 1 mph. ???
    Yes, on my motor with stock programming or DBR same gains.

12. Member
    Did you reposition the air temp sensor also or leave it factory

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kerr View Post
    Did you reposition the air temp sensor also or leave it factory

I tested with it in and out back to back and it ran identical. only thing I found is when I ran it in the motor was more consistent. but that could just be in my head.

14. Member
    We tested my Mike Nass cowling on canadabullet 250XS yesterday. It gained him 1 mph with the airbox still on and no cold air intake. On my 300XS removing the airbox makes a big difference. From what i saw i'm thinking the 250XS will gain 2-3mph with a alien cowl and cold air intake.

We ran out of time yesterday. It was Tough with both boats there doing changes on both, we only had about 3hr tell dark and didnt have time to try everything. I'm Pretty sure we will have 1 more day before ice to do more testing.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperflow View Post
    We tested my Mike Nass cowling on canadabullet 250XS yesterday. It gained him 1 mph with the airbox still on and no cold air intake. On my 300XS removing the airbox makes a big difference. From what i saw i'm thinking the 250XS will gain 2-3mph with a alien cowl and cold air intake.

We ran out of time yesterday. It was Tough with both boats there doing changes on both, we only had about 3hr tell dark and didnt have time to try everything. I'm Pretty sure we will have 1 more day before ice to do more testing.
    I thought you said your mike nass cowling had the cold air intake installed???? does that mean you can take it back out of the cowling if you want. too..

For those that are wondering, Dave told me JUST the cowl with air intake alone, made 8hp on the dyno.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbritt View Post
    I thought you said your mike nass cowling had the cold air intake installed???? does that mean you can take it back out of the cowling if you want. too..
    i highly don't recommend doing what i did. I just tacked it on and cross my fingers it would hold for one pass. I was scared it wasn't going to help then id have it stuck in my cowling. I wanted to try it before and after on a 250XS but just didn't have the time.

18. Banned
    ok , mine is 2012, who do i buy the cold air intake from DBR or mike nass

19. Member
    mikenass@shaw.ca thats his email and the best way to get a hold of him.
    Last edited by hyperflow; 10-29-2015 at 01:09 PM.

20. Member
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it dangerously leaning the engine out to run the dbr cowl and/or the plenum without the dbr re-curve on the ecu. I know it was on the pre-2010 engines when dbr first developed all of the mods. Might be different for the later engines, IDK. I've been having all the mods, cowl & plenum on my 07 300xs since 2012. It might be worth clarification here so someone doesnt go get a cowl & plenum then explode an $8K power head.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast