Thread: Rain suits

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    I got a Simms. Doesn't cook you when it's hot, and you can always get warmer using layers under it.
    I've been in some super heavy downpours that I had no business being on the water in, they snuck up on me. Even had hail mixed in one of them. Man, that stuff hurts the ol' noggin.
    Anyway, I never plan on a different brand. I don't see how it could be any better.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    I just bought Huk all-weather bibs and jacket. Kept me dry as can be in pour down rain for 8 hours. Spent just north of $300 for the set. Quality gear.
    +1 on the Huk. i have also purchased their sister company Nomad for hunting gear. Great stuff
    2003 Skeeter ZX200

3. Member
    I have Academy Sports H2O Xpress for warm weather. Bibs and jacked are about $70 each. They've kept me dry for a couple of years now and are well made. I expect to have them a long time.
    I bought Stormr Fusion for my son a couple of years ago and they are amazing.
    My Cabela's cold weather guidewear works great too.

4. mikesxpress
    I am a 59 year old retired FED LEO and fish/hunt 4+ day a week. I have both the insulated & un-insulated Cabela's guidewear. I rarely use either anymore. The
    un-insulated set is to hot for spring/summer/fall here in VA. The insulated set is very warm in winter. If you use either of these regularly (more than once every couple months) they will require regular applications of Repel or a similar product to keep the gear water repellent. The seams, zippers, pockets, etc.. will all leak at times even with repeated treatments. Running at bass boat speeds drives the water into the fabric and they leak even more. Constantly contacting the material against another object (sitting in a rain soaked seat) also saturates them. $400.00+ a set. I thought it was a good idea at the time???

Agreement with another post is that rubber/PVC coated rain gear is the only real waterproof gear available. No it doesn't "breath" but neither does Guidewear or any other GorTex product. Under arm and back flap ventilation is of minimal consequence on rain gear. It's all sales gimmicks.

Grundens has been making fowl weather gear for outdoor/commercial fishing industry for many years (yep you see the guys with Grundens gear on most saltwater sportfishing shows, Deadliest Catch, Wicked Tuna, etc..).
    Reason for that is that it does it's job even under adverse conditions and holds up. Never seen any GorTex products worn on any of these shows. Hummm??
    I have had a set of Grundens for 3 years now and use them frequently. My choice for saltwater/freshwater fishing is the Petrus HD44 jacket & HD16 bibs. I buy mine oversized to accommodate warm clothing layering in winter.
    No pockets. No fly. No zipper. Double flap staggered snap closure on jacket. Simple drawstring hood. Lightweight and packable. Fits into 2/3's of a one gallon zip lock bag. Even at 70 mph no water gets in these. Both jacket and bibs can be had for less than $275. if you shop them.
    Downside: You have to disconnet the front of the bibs and drop them to take a leak. I am willing to accommodate that to stay dry.

Rivers West makes the finest foul weather apparel available. Bottom line, you are either going to be dry or wet at the end of the day, why would you want to be wet? If anyone would like more information on these great American products made by great Americans, PM me.

6. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Nailbender8 View Post
    Rivers West makes the finest foul weather apparel available. Bottom line, you are either going to be dry or wet at the end of the day, why would you want to be wet? If anyone would like more information on these great American products made by great Americans, PM me.
    Re-application of waterproofing required every two years or more frequently based on use. Similar to Guide Wear. FAQ even gives the sources for the waterproofing and also source for zipper lubricant.
    http://riverswest.com/faq.html

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BSSCT98 View Post
    I purchased a Cabelas guide wear suit and after being in the rain for 3 hours I was soaked. I guess I got a bad one, but will never buy again.
    Me too, always came to weigh in looking like I peed my pants when I took suit off. Really only leaked badly there though. Jacket was better than bibs.

I understand the BPS 100mph looking like a billboard, but mine have been GREAT!!!! Pair them with a pair of sealskins socks and your set for anything mother nature throws at you.......just my .02, good luck on your purchase.
    2016 Ranger RT 188 - Charcoal / Dark Cherry
    2016 Mercury 115 Fourstroke - Laser II 20p
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80lb.
    Lowrance Elite 12Ti2 Active Imaging 3 in 1
    Garmin 1022 GPSMAP - Liveoptics LVS34 - Tackle Shack Trolling Motor Pole Mount
    Humminbird Helix 7 GPS Only - Lakemaster VX Premium
    Lowrance Elite 12Ti2 Active Imaging 3 in 1 - Navionics +
    NextGen Lithium Batteries
    V-T2 Live well vents
    (2) Loc-R-Bar / Custom brackets - Bream Metals
    BTO Trailer steps

#HomeBrewTackleCo

9. Member
    I have a pro qualifier suit going into 4th season and love it. Hate the bps ads but can't complain about the suit.

I have HUK, so far, so good.
    2019 BassCat Puma FTD, Honda 250, Croxton Razor 4XL,Garmin Force, Power Pole Blades & Charge, Atlas JP, Ionic 36v Lithium, K2 Energy Lithium NoCo GenPro10x1, All Garmin Electronics with PanOptics LiveScope

jefflhoman.com

11. Banned
    SIMMS in the summer BPS 100 mph in the fall when I switch to Walleye

I have the Simms Pro Dry and have yet to get wet. Twice a year I wash it as directed and use Nikwax Hardshell outerwear cleaner and waterproofing combo. I think with any brand of gore rainsuit the Nikwax would help over time. If you don't care that it isn't a fishing brand and you want a shell that you can use regardless of the temperature Arcteryx produces more breathable gore tex than any of the fishing brands I've used. With all that said I believe if you have a puddle of water in your seat and you make a long run - your butt will get damp with any brand goretex.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    I am a 59 year old retired FED LEO and fish/hunt 4+ day a week. I have both the insulated & un-insulated Cabela's guidewear. I rarely use either anymore. The
    un-insulated set is to hot for spring/summer/fall here in VA. The insulated set is very warm in winter. If you use either of these regularly (more than once every couple months) they will require regular applications of Repel or a similar product to keep the gear water repellent. The seams, zippers, pockets, etc.. will all leak at times even with repeated treatments. Running at bass boat speeds drives the water into the fabric and they leak even more. Constantly contacting the material against another object (sitting in a rain soaked seat) also saturates them. $400.00+ a set. I thought it was a good idea at the time???

Agreement with another post is that rubber/PVC coated rain gear is the only real waterproof gear available. No it doesn't "breath" but neither does Guidewear or any other GorTex product. Under arm and back flap ventilation is of minimal consequence on rain gear. It's all sales gimmicks.

Grundens has been making fowl weather gear for outdoor/commercial fishing industry for many years (yep you see the guys with Grundens gear on most saltwater sportfishing shows, Deadliest Catch, Wicked Tuna, etc..).
    Reason for that is that it does it's job even under adverse conditions and holds up. Never seen any GorTex products worn on any of these shows. Hummm??
    I have had a set of Grundens for 3 years now and use them frequently. My choice for saltwater/freshwater fishing is the Petrus HD44 jacket & HD16 bibs. I buy mine oversized to accommodate warm clothing layering in winter.
    No pockets. No fly. No zipper. Double flap staggered snap closure on jacket. Simple drawstring hood. Lightweight and packable. Fits into 2/3's of a one gallon zip lock bag. Even at 70 mph no water gets in these. Both jacket and bibs can be had for less than $275. if you shop them.
    Downside: You have to disconnet the front of the bibs and drop them to take a leak. I am willing to accommodate that to stay dry.
    I've got a Cabela's Guide Wear suit that I have had for at least 15 years. It works great and the velcro is off the charts. Maybe the newer ones suck.

14. Member
    Not a fan of the Cabela's guide wear, I may look like a bill board, but I am a dry one with the 100 mph Bass Pro rain gear.

15. Member
    Gil, Gil, Gil...nuff said.

I use HUK, very pleased so far.
    2019 BassCat Puma FTD, Honda 250, Croxton Razor 4XL,Garmin Force, Power Pole Blades & Charge, Atlas JP, Ionic 36v Lithium, K2 Energy Lithium NoCo GenPro10x1, All Garmin Electronics with PanOptics LiveScope

jefflhoman.com

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    I got a Simms. Doesn't cook you when it's hot, and you can always get warmer using layers under it.
    I've been in some super heavy downpours that I had no business being on the water in, they snuck up on me. Even had hail mixed in one of them. Man, that stuff hurts the ol' noggin.
    Anyway, I never plan on a different brand. I don't see how it could be any better.

+1 you get what you pay for. Simms is 2nd to none

ordered Simms ranger parks and bibs ($675), bibs have a chest zipper and leg zippers. Put the bibs to the "shower test" and all zippers leaked. Returning the Simms and have ordered Grundens.

19. Member
    buy the Onyx Thunder Rage. best suit for the money, IMHO.

20. Banned
    Simms drypro suit is on sale at Scheels for $550 in one discontinued color

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast