Thread: Rain suits

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I bought cabelas guide ware over 20 yrs ago still keep me dry and I use them a lot do the math.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott6419 View Post
    I bought Frabill F4 suit this past spring and all I can say is it is the best investment I have ever made for myself.... I hesitated spending that kind of money, but I don't regret doing it at all. I realized this after my first trip when it is cold and raining and I was warm and dry. Every time I wear the suit I am so glad that I bought it.
    just got the Frabill jacket and bibbs for Christmas. They look REALLY well made. Will find out how they do in a couple of weeks.

3. Member
    I have the BPS gear and it will keep you dry. Thats the best I can say for it. The bibs are ripped in the crotch area and the jacket is extra bulky which makes it uncomfortable to fish in. I have to say I'm that odd wide shoulders short guy so even at 5'9" I have to wear an XL which I know contributes to the bulky feeling BUT I tried out a friends StormR coat once and it is VERY comfortable and he says, "almost TOO warm". Thats just my 2C but I would not go with the BPS for the money there are better options.

4. Member
    I ended up going with a Gander mountain Guide Series suit (Goretex)... That my fishing buddy sold to me for $50 I could not beat the price. I wore it a few weeks before he sold it to me, it poured down rain for about 5 of the 8 hours we were on the water and I was bone dry at the end of the day. He had just bought another Storm suit so he said he had no room in his closet for 3 rain suits. I asked what he wanted for it.. He said $50... SOLD!! Should last me 3 - 5 years. In good shape I guess the F4 will have to wait a few years. Its a large. It is big enough for me to fit my Milwaukee heated jacket underneath for those 30 degrees or less mornings on the water in the winter and light enough to wear 9 months out of the year.
    Last edited by WVTERP; 01-12-2016 at 01:57 PM.

5. Member
    I have the insulated Cabelas Guidewear for winter and BPS 100 mph for milder weather. Love them both but the only complaint I have for the BPS parka is the inner cuff is so darn hard to get my hands in and out of when wet!!

6. Member
    I have a Gill OS2 jacket and bibs and love them have had the set for 6 years now and it still keeps me dry, best money I ever spent on foul weather gear. They have a new jacket I saw at icast called an FG2 that my local dealer said was going to be in stock next week. It has a totally new hood design, I think it may be time for me to upgrade.
    Last edited by MTL; 02-25-2016 at 10:33 PM.

7. Member
    Anyone using BPS pro qualifier gore Tex? I have an old BPS gore Tex jacket that is at least 15 years old that still keeps me dry. But I can use a new set of gore Tex bibs.

8. Member
    A good friend of mine has the BPS pro qualifier set, about 2 yrs old. We fished a tx opposite each other awhile back, rained for 6hrs, he was as dry as he was when we arrived at the ramp that morning. My frog toggs and me , not so much.
    1998 21xd 1998 225 pro max sport

9. BBC SPONSOR
    I have the Pro Qualifier Gore-Tex rain gear, I have been very happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris's View Post
    Anyone using BPS pro qualifier gore Tex? I have an old BPS gore Tex jacket that is at least 15 years old that still keeps me dry. But I can use a new set of gore Tex bibs.

10. Member
    I had. The BPS pro qualifier was not very cozy I returned for the 100mph gear MUCH better very warm 22 degree morning heavy rain & sleet felt perfect I removed the BPS emblem's awesome
    jerrysroadservice@gmail.com
    2017 Lund Pro V Bass 1875

11. Banned
    Guess I've been a walking billboard for the last ten years but at least I've been dry, BPS 100MPH suit.

12. Member
    Had the guide ware started leaking this year after a few hours of ran they where 16 years old I bought another pair

13. Member
    Folks we have a guide service in Prince William Sound Alaska. It is a Northern rain forest and we spend MANY, MANY, MANY days in driving rain that sometimes lasts for days. We have been doing this for over 12 years and have come to really learn what works and what does NOT. We recommend customers bring ONLY rubber rain gear cause that is the ONLY thing that is weather proof. We have had customers come up with the "BEST GORETEX MONEY CAN BUY" and within a day or two they are miserable and soaked to the bone. For this reason we carry extra rubber suits and without exception EVERYONE of our customers learn about how worthless goretex is.. Goretex is made for the average american that will spend a day in the weather but will return home after that day. Try being on a 10 day goat hunt in a tent and it rains non stop for 10 days and the temps are just above freezing.. Get wet and you WILL be hypothermic. Then you WILL die................ Rubber is the ONLY thing that will keep you dry. PERIOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Yardape View Post
    Folks we have a guide service in Prince William Sound Alaska. It is a Northern rain forest and we spend MANY, MANY, MANY days in driving rain that sometimes lasts for days. We have been doing this for over 12 years and have come to really learn what works and what does NOT. We recommend customers bring ONLY rubber rain gear cause that is the ONLY thing that is weather proof. We have had customers come up with the "BEST GORETEX MONEY CAN BUY" and within a day or two they are miserable and soaked to the bone. For this reason we carry extra rubber suits and without exception EVERYONE of our customers learn about how worthless goretex is.. Goretex is made for the average american that will spend a day in the weather but will return home after that day. Try being on a 10 day goat hunt in a tent and it rains non stop for 10 days and the temps are just above freezing.. Get wet and you WILL be hypothermic. Then you WILL die................ Rubber is the ONLY thing that will keep you dry. PERIOD!
    I have Frog Toggs for hot summer Southern rain storms, but when it is cold, nasty and dangerous I break out my 12 year old Grundens that never fail.

15. Member
    get on ebay look for original frabil fxr storm suit had mine for 3 years no problems a little heavy for summer otherwise great suit

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yardape View Post
    Under your conditions , yes, I'll agree that rubber is best. But for bass fishermen in the lower 48, keep in mind most of our fishing is during warm weather and breathability is a benefit. Design is another issue and since casting & fishing usually has your wrists pointing up, a well designed wrist closure is also important. Generally, you get what you paid for, my guidewear lasts about 15 years before I replace them (only on my second set - 29 years of tournament fishing).

17. Member
    Give Gill a serious look. I have the Gill OS2 jacket & bibs. They are Gill's Dot-3 fabric.
    Dry, blocks wind, but not insulated for cold winter use. But I layer warm insulated vest and/or jackets underneath which is better. IMO. Dot-2 gear might be best for all round use in warmer areas.

Newest is the Gill FG2 Tournament jacket.

18. Member
    Anyone know what's up with Cabelas guidwear? The bass angler series is being discontinued and now they have a new angler series but no bibs available just pants. Bibs are a must for me.
    2006 Ranger Z20 Comanche

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumrush View Post
    Anyone know what's up with Cabelas guidwear? The bass angler series is being discontinued and now they have a new angler series but no bibs available just pants. Bibs are a must for me.
    Was wondering the same thing. And what the difference is between them

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chumly3 View Post
    get on ebay look for original frabil fxr storm suit had mine for 3 years no problems a little heavy for summer otherwise great suit
    I had the original frabil storm suit, it was terrible, the bibs leaked on me during a tourney in the crotch. We left early. I contacted frabil and they were going to replace them but they were in the middle of being bought out by another company so they didn't have anymore. After about 6 of 8 months later they upgraded me to the new f4 cyclone suit. In the midst of all that I quit fishing. Just started fishing again and have not tried it out yet. But just in case i also have cabelas guidwear that will prolly be my primary.
    2006 Ranger Z20 Comanche

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast