Battery Wire problems

I have a 1997 Evinrude Vindicator 225. I left my power switch for about 2 days accidentally. When i tried to turn the motor over it wouldn't start. Got home, checked the voltage on the battery and it said .006, so I went and bought a new battery to replace it. When I went to hook the cables back up (cables are marked so I know I put them in the right spot) it sparked and the motor tried to start. Mind you the key is not in the ignition and the kill-switch was not hooked up either. Has anybody had this problem before or know what I can do to fix this? I have a college tourney in two days and I really need it fixed. Thanks for the advice!

2. Member
    Trace the positive wire to the solenoid. Take the cable off the solenoid, then check continuity across the two big terminals of the soleniod. Sounds like, for some reason, the solenoid is stuck. If so, replace the solenoid and go fishing, if not, check the ignition wire (yellow/red stripped) and see if it has voltage on it. To do this, you will disconnect the starter wire from the solenoid (so it won't try to start), reconnect the battery wire to the solenoid, then to the battery. If it (the ignition wire has voltage on it and the key is off, then you have wires shorted to each other - somewhere.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    If it was a car, those symptoms would be from a starter stuck in the flywheel, but on a boat, with an external solenoid, not on the starter, it almost has to be a solenoid problem.
    Don't do Ohms checks with the battery connected. You should never hit the starter, but if you whack the solenoid, and it was stuck, and then it starts operating properly, it's time to buy a solenoid.
    Good advice from Jones.