Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar

Question Duck Hunters - Need feedback on specific waterfowl waders

Hey everyone,

Last day of the season last year, my 4-yr old Cabelas SuperMag 1600 waders split at the boot and I got a boot full of water. Changing things up possibly this season. Does anyone have feedback on the following waders:

I wear "stout" size to get the shorter inseam. I can't wear the new Rogers Sporting Goods Toughman Elite Waders (which are the highest quality waders I've seen to date) or the Drake LST Eqwader 2.0 because the outseam and chest size (torso measurement) is way too big for me.

If you have owned any of these three above please provide feedback!!

Thanks!!
    DH

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

2. Banned
    I too wear the stout size. Get the Roger's Toughman Standard Stout or Elite Stout. They are much better than the LaCrosse and I've been a LaCrosse wader user since 1998. LaCrosse has lost it's quality over the years, the Brush Tuff ATS was the final straw for me after having to return two pairs of them in two years. I'm not familiar with the AeroTuff as I have yet to see them, but the downhill slide I've witnessed in LaCrosse quality would make me stay away from them.

The Cabela's SuperMag 1600 are good and Cabela's does a good job backing them, but I've just liked the Roger's Toughman waders better. You certainly can't beat the price of the Roger's waders either.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...ers-stout.html

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...rs-stouts.html

I don't quite understand your issue with the chest size and outseam? The bigger chest size allows you more room for added layers of clothing - I'm able to tuck my jacket inside my waders which makes me SUPER warm on those days below freezing.

3. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    I don't quite understand your issue with the chest size and outseam? The bigger chest size allows you more room for added layers of clothing - I'm able to tuck my jacket inside my waders which makes me SUPER warm on those days below freezing.
    thanks for the info on Lacrosse.

Ah! Good point on the fitment. I actually ordered the new Rogers Toughman Elite waders. Best made waders ever! Love the boots and new seam seals. They have a 53" outseam (floor to edge of wader armpit). My measurement is 47" from floor to my arm pit, hey, I'm 5'6"! I didn't check that measurement when I ordered. When I tried them on, boots fit perfectly (awesome!), then pulling up the waders, the inseam fit was perfect (awesome, and I'm thinking these are it!), then I pull the waders up and the top panel of the wader is under my chin. Cinching the shoulder straps as far as they would go left me with about 10" of slack. They're made for a much taller person. The chest size is 50". My chest size is 42 but even with my coat on wouldn't exceed 46" so there was a tremendous amount of additional room in the body. I've sent them back so I'm looking for other options.

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

4. Banned
    Makes sense now, I'm about 5" taller than you.

5. Member
    Cabelas northern flight 1 strap waders... they will change your life
    Boatless Bank Trash

Stay away from drakes They only last about a year . There customer service is worse than there boots.
    2016 RT 188

7. Member
    I will always choose Cabela's waders I've only had one incident sent them back within a week I had a brand-new pair I have worn this pair for the last four years. They are the ultimate waders
    RANGER BOATS

The cabelas supermag waders are hard to beat. I'm on my fourth year with mine. Lacrosse are just ok they don't last near as long for me. I was lucky to get 2 seasons out of them. I've gone through 3 pairs of lacrosse in 4 years so I tried the cabelas and they have been great. We are pretty hard on waders anyway hunting around buck brush, briars, and climbing in and out of the boat.

I have a pair of the super mag's and have worn then for the past 5 years. Zero issues and are warm and tough. We start bustin ice mid november till the end in jan and have never been cold or wet. Cabelas backs their products better than anyone else...
    Special thanks to my sponsors- Team Daiwa, Garmin Electronics, Gill Technical Fishing, Bass Magnet Lures, and Upper Canada Marine.

10. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Thanks for everyone's feedback. Looks like I'm going back to the SuperMag 1600. I know they fit and I didn't know about the lifetime warranty.

FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by F150owner View Post
    Thanks for everyone's feedback. Looks like I'm going back to the SuperMag 1600. I know they fit and I didn't know about the lifetime warranty.
    Be aware that the warranty isn't as good as it once was, but its still pretty good. Now they give you the lowest sale price on your return.
    Boatless Bank Trash

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smoker View Post
    Be aware that the warranty isn't as good as it once was, but its still pretty good. Now they give you the lowest sale price on your return.
    I have heard this also.

13. Member
    The last several pair of waders I've bought have all been cabelas brand. They just had bunch on sale and I couldn't be happier with them! I had a pair of the supermag 1600's and loved them. The lasted well and were really durable, but unfortunately my dumbass left them piled up in a ball with the boots all scrunched up and when I pulled them out this season the boot cracked badly right on the seam where they start to flatten out. My own mistake and I bought another cabelas brand right afterwards.

14. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Update:

I tried on the new LaCross Aerotuff waders today. Here is my review:

I had very high expectations because LaCrosse touts them as their best wader ever. I watched the youtube videos on the product as well. While they appear to be well made, there is a problem with the design. There is a neoprene lateral wrap around lower portion of the wader legs just above the boot. I'm wondering if this is how they seal the boot to the leg of the wader (due to the injection molding process for the boot). It is like a "belt" around each leg just below the calf and above the boot. This neoprene ring around the lower portion of the wader prevents any stretch or give in the material. You can actually see from the photo from LaCrosse's website (impacted areas circled) that this neoprene wrap appears to be tighter, more constrictive than the rest of the leg.

It basically prevents the wader from going any higher on your leg somewhat similar to a baseball player's bat weight they put on bats for warm-up. The weight ring on goes so far up only the bat and stops. Same thing here, the neoprene ring only lets the wader leg go so far up on your calf before it stops. In other words, you can't pull the legs up all the way and it leaves some wader material bunched up between the top of the boot and this neoprene strip around the leg. I have no idea why they did it like that but it is a bad design. I had originally thought my blue jeans were jamming up the in the wader at the choke point where your foot goes in the wader. I actually pulled my jeans up over my knees inside the waders and just had my socks on and the neoprene wrap still prevented the wader from coming up. It is hard to get your foot in and out of the waders. In other words, rendering the waders a liability in situations where you need to get them off/on quickly.

Additionally, the waders need more knee and seat protection other than the polyurethane chevrons that are embossed. That is my opinion and I'm sure LaCrosse would argue this point differently. The polyurethane strips make the wader legs stiff and they aren't flexible in the knee. The LaCrosse YouTube video of the product highlights this as the individual is shown walking in the waders. The neoprene is still 5mm thick in the knee and seat, which to me are critical areas where you don't want abrasions deep in the material.

The boot material is a soft type of injection molded material around the neoprene sock. My concern there is that it has a soft spongy give to it and I wonder if abrasions will cut into this material vs. a purely rubber boot that feels more puncture resistant. Pure speculation on my part on the boot material and again I'm sure LaCrosse would argue this point as well. LaCrosse touts the boot as insulation itself. It has no Thinsulate material. Between the 5mm neoprene boot sock and the soft injection molded boot material, that is the insulation. Also, how would you repair this spongy material if you did have a puncture??

Avoid LaCrosse Aerotuff waders. Bad design, won't fit. Some complaints on fit out there on the web.

Last edited by F150owner; 10-25-2015 at 08:57 AM. Reason: added photo

FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

15. Banned
    Not at all surprised to see the bad review for LaCrosse, their product line continues to degrade. It's really sad because the waders I had of theirs in the 90s and 00s were pretty darn good. Sometime around 2010 things changed.

16. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    Not at all surprised to see the bad review for LaCrosse, their product line continues to degrade. It's really sad because the waders I had of theirs in the 90s and 00s were pretty darn good. Sometime around 2010 things changed.
    I think Drake and LaCrosse are trying hard to make a big splash with new designs as of late, but the new Aerotuff waders have the makings to be great, someone just screwed up either the manufacturing or the design or both - you just can't get your legs in these things. I didn't try the LaCrosse Brush Tough Extreme because I want 1600 Thinsulate in the boots. They looked good and might have worked. When I first started duck hunting, I thought "what's the big deal? a wader is a wader".
    Last edited by F150owner; 10-26-2015 at 10:00 AM.

FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

17. Banned
    The Roger's Toughman Standard are very much like the wader I knew from LaCrosse in the 90s and 00s - that's why I like them so much. It's a shame they don't fit you.

I don't understand why so many companies get caught up in the "we have to one-up the other guy" so we can charge more than ever thought possible; that's what appears to be going on with LaCrosse and maybe why their quality isn't what it used to be. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

If the Roger's didn't work for me, I'd be looking at the Cabela's lineup.

No way in heck would I ever consider Drake, they straight up suck.

18. Member
    You guys need to check out the northern flight one strap waders by Cabelas. 1200 in the boot but they are above and beyond even the super mags in the comfort department. Cabela's Men's Northern Flight™ One-Strap Hunting Waders – Stout : Cabela's
    Boatless Bank Trash

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smoker View Post
    You guys need to check out the northern flight one strap waders by Cabelas. 1200 in the boot but they are above and beyond even the super mags in the comfort department. Cabela's Men's Northern Flight™ One-Strap Hunting Waders – Stout : Cabela's
    I never cared for those as they didn't come up high enough for me. I hunt big water regularly and would get wet frequently in those shorties. Those might be good for early season, but when it's below freezing and I'm retrieving divers on my tiptoes I'd be cussing those waders. I also think having neoprene all the way up my chest and back helps hold in body heat better too, keeping me warmer; just my preference though.

20. Member
    I never cared for those as they didn't come up high enough for me. I hunt big water regularly and would get wet frequently in those shorties. Those might be good for early season, but when it's below freezing and I'm retrieving divers on my tiptoes I'd be cussing those waders. I also think having neoprene all the way up my chest and back helps hold in body heat better too, keeping me warmer; just my preference though.
    i love mine. of course im a shorty, at 5'8", they come as high as i want them. i dont notice any heat loss from the nylon inserts on the sides. since i am the "experienced" hunter of the group i dont have to get out too deep anyway, i let the apprentices handle those duties. we also have a couple good dogs for the retrieves. i rarely get in over my waist. My son has the super mags and loves them. im actually looking for a less weighty set of waders. half of our season doesnt justify those 1200 and 1600 gram thinsulate. i was in shorts and a tee shirt and still soaking wet from sweat this weekend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast