Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Reel Peachy - 1993 Stratos 280 SF - Transom Rebuild Project

I bought a used 19' 1993 Stratos 280 SF with a 1993 Johnson 150 in July.

1.jpg
    2.jpg

It was my first fiberglass boat and I have been learning some lessons. Lesson # 1 is, always get an expert opinion when you aren't sure. I had noticed some stress cracks in the transom when I was buying the boat, but didn't think it was a big deal. Later I went to the mechanic who had serviced the boat and he asked me if the seller told me about the bad transom. I was pissed. I knew the price was too good to be true. Anyway, that's water under the bridge. Fast forward a few months. I've replaced the powerpack and rebuilt the carbs, replaced the livewell valves and cables, upgraded the trolling motor to a 24v model and taken the family out a few times (cautiously).

After lots of research, I decided that I want to do a full "cap off" rebuild on the transom. I've never done fiberglass or any real boat maintenance but I've been reading and watching how-to's and I'm ready to get rolling. I've got 2 small kids, so most of my work will be after work for a few hours.

My first challenge was removing the motor. I decided to buy a shop crane/hoist to get it off. I picked up a 1-ton unit from Harbor Freight on sale with a 20% off coupon. It only took all night to get it together. Next, I pulled the motor, which wasn't too bad. Since I will need the crane for the cap removal, needed to get the motor off of the crane so I built a motor stand out of a bunch of spare wood I had laying around. After a couple hours, I threw in the towel on using the stand and picked up an engine stand from Harbor Freight the next day. That still didn't go so well. I ended up lay the motor on the ground, raise the crane up on boards enough to clear the engine stand, then pick the motor back up and mount it.

4.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.jpg
    3.jpg

After removing the motor, I was astonished at how bad the transom really was. I cut a small strip of the cap off to see inside and it made my heart sink. I couldn't believe that someone would sell a boat in this bad of shape and that I could have had my family on it when the motor flew off. Anyway, good thing I listened to some of you guys and decided to rebuild it. So that's where I am at this point. I will be unhooking everything and removing as much stuff from the boat as I can. I plan to remove the carpet to make it easier to find attachment points. Per Stratos support, I know that the floor is glued to the hull and bulkheads, so I'm still not sure how much access I will have underneath to cut everything free without actually cutting the floor up.

13.jpg
    10.jpg
    7.jpg
    14.jpg
    11.jpg
    8.jpg
    12.jpg
    9.jpg

Anyway, I wanted to get this thread going and will post more as I make progress. I'm certainly open to any suggestions or comments.
    Last edited by super_dork; 11-05-2015 at 01:23 PM.
    1993 Stratos 280 SF
    1993 Johnson 150 Sliver Star

Reel Peachy - 1993 Stratos Transom Rebuild Project

A combo of "caveat emptor" on your part, and seller karma - hopefully his actions will come back to him in some fashion. Can't fathom selling something in that condition, that could have caused major damage (or even bodily injury - what if motor would have fallen off while towing it down the road?).
    Are you sure you have to remove entire top cap? Is the floor solid? Have you checked to see if the stringers are intact? If they are ok, perhaps you could just pour a new transom.
    If knee braces/stringers are bad only near the transom, then just cutting the back of the topcap off might be a less intrusive (less costly?) option.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    A combo of "caveat emptor" on your part, and seller karma - hopefully his actions will come back to him in some fashion. Can't fathom selling something in that condition, that could have caused major damage (or even bodily injury - what if motor would have fallen off while towing it down the road?).
    Are you sure you have to remove entire top cap? Is the floor solid? Have you checked to see if the stringers are intact? If they are ok, perhaps you could just pour a new transom.
    If knee braces/stringers are bad only near the transom, then just cutting the back of the topcap off might be a less intrusive (less costly?) option.
    I've gone back and forth on the options. Based on the amount of rot in the transom, I'm at least slightly concerned that the stringers may have issues but I have no way of knowing at this stage - at least no way that I'm away of.

If I cut just the back off, then I'm going to have to deal with patching up the fiberglass and such and it will be harder to get at the transom to remove it, though at this point, I can likely just vacuum it out! I talked to Stratos and they confirmed that the transom does go all the way across, so I will certainly have to cut the full width to get replace it fully. I talked to the folks at seacast and the pourable seems like a pretty decent option. I don't know - having never done any of this before, I'm just not sure which option will require the least amount of overall work and the least amount of fine finish body work - I'm just not that confident in how it will come out. Who knows, Maybe I'll just cut the back off...!
    1993 Stratos 280 SF

4. Member
    Wow!! you have been a busy boy, son! Looks like you have made good solid progress of which you should be proud. Let me know when and I'll run over and take a look in person. We gotta figure out how far the rot goes and that will answer the question of the whole cap or the back half. My gut says cut the back half but we just gotta check it all out. I did my transom out of 3 pieces of 1/2" marine grade plywood. I'm going to make a strong argument that you do the same (and I can help) but the final call is yours as it's your boat and your $! Keep up the great work and keep posting pics. Holler at me.
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645

Looks very similar to the one I just finished. Fun times!!
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieLure View Post
    Looks very similar to the one I just finished. Fun times!!
    Got any pointers? :-)

7. Member
    Take lots of pictures and lots of measurements from all angles. I am working on an'84 Hydra-Sports VL-485. I did the seacast method. Sabine and Bruce really know customer service and boat rebuilds. The product is fantastic. My project was a complete rebuild foam, stringers, floor and transom. I am still working on it after 2 years but it's a slow process when you are working full time, part time student and have other hobbies and family. A side note to the time, I am doing all cosmetic work as well such as new gel-coat, new carpet, seats, wiring, etc. Good luck and have fun.

8. Member
    Update:

So I'm not very patient when I've got a project in progress. Once I start, I want to keep rolling. So, I decided to just cut the back open instead of taking the cap off. I spent a while unhooking everything and cutting the transom u-bolts off - couldn't get them off using an impact driver or socket. I use the shop crane to attempt to pop it loose, but, as Stratos told me, the splashwell is attached. So, the challenge is figuring out how to cut the splashwell free. I took a video showing where the splashell contacts the inner skin of the transom. It looks like a big pile of adhesive as well as some fiberglass was used to join it all together. So, I think I'm going to try to cut between the splashwell and the transom wall, just got to figure out where to start with it.

Overall, it's been easy going. I just want to be sure that whatever I so, it's easy(er) to put it back together. I don't want to have a blind cut somewhere that I can't get some fiberglass back into.

**Note to self - wear long sleeves and pants. Man are my arms and legs itching today from fiberglass!!**

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited by super_dork; 11-16-2015 at 01:49 PM.
    1993 Stratos 280 SF

9. Member
    So, I did some digging and I think I can see how to get the splashwell off.

I found this guy's post - he's doing a 1995 Stratos SF - so it's likely pretty similar. It's on another site so I'm not going to link to the whole thing.

So, basically, I just need to find the seam between the splashwell and inner transom skin and cut it loose. *fingers crossed*
    1993 Stratos 280 SF

Great start. Only advice I can offer is do your research and take your time. You only want to do this once, plus the amount of time and effort your gonna put in, your not gonna want any flaws! Good luck, have fun!
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

11. Member
    Well, I spent about an hour last night getting everything cut loose. After finding a post on another forum with a guy who did a 1995 version of this boat, I had a better idea of where to cut it apart. Basically, they back side of the splashwell was bonded to the inside of the transom wall. I got my recip saw with an 8" blade (needed 10, but that's all I had) and started cutting. At one point, I laid on my back inside the back hatch and used an oscillating multi-tool to cut loose where the blade couldn't reach. Turns out, it's pretty hard to get down inside the back hatch but WAY HARDER to get back out of it by yourself. I had honestly decided that I was going to just die inside there breathing in gas fumes before my wife could rescue me. Eventually I pulled myself out.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Since I bought the shop crane, I figured I should use it, so I used it to hoist the back cap off once I popped it loose.

13.jpg

14.jpg

Then I cut a strip of the transom covering off to see how it looked. I've seen where folks cut everything out, even the covering over the pillow foam, but I figured I'd start with a strip and go from there. Anyway, it's not rotten... the center section is mush but the sides are SOLID. I guess I've got my work cut out for me. I'm planning to get a small electric chainsaw and start cutting it out. Overall, it's coming along well. I feel like the hardest part is going to be the tedious work of cutting everything out. I'm probably mistaken!

15.jpg
    16.jpg
    17.jpg
    18.jpg
    19.jpg
    20.jpg
    21.jpg
    Last edited by super_dork; 11-16-2015 at 01:57 PM.
    1993 Stratos 280 SF

Wow!! You really did jump in with both feet, eh? Gotta give you guys credit for having big brass ones, and can make that first cut through the glass with a saw!!
    Looking forward to following your progress on this project.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Wow!! You really did jump in with both feet, eh? Gotta give you guys credit for having big brass ones, and can make that first cut through the glass with a saw!!
    Looking forward to following your progress on this project.

Shh... don't tell my wife, but I have NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!! :-)

Actually, the way I'm viewing it is that the hull is a total loss unless we do the work. I could try to sell the hull super cheap and hope to find a replacement one, but likely will end up paying more than I would have to get this replaced. So at this point, the worst that will happen is that I will trash it, strip everything and tow it to the dump. But the best that can happen is that I can learn a few things and end up with a sweet ride that should last and that I my family will make memories on. I'm really hoping for the latter! :-)
    1993 Stratos 280 SF

Dadgum, exact same set-up as mine was. Going great!
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

Good Luck

16. Member
    Wow! Ive been working until midnight every night this week and it looks like you have too! Awesome! See yiu this weekend.

17. Member
    Well I made a new friend today. Rgsauger stopped by to take a look at my progress and helped change my plans a little. So I took his advise and man am I glad that I did. I had been contemplating just digging the old transom out and using seacast. He suggested going the wood route and ripping out the inside skin so we could get good access to it. He even loaned me his sweet Rockwell oscillating multi tool! I started work on one side and when I got down to the stringer, I discovered that the whole side area next to the stringer was holding a lot of water. The stringer itself looked well protected but I'll have to investigate further to see how bad it may be. Anyway, the family came home and I had to take a break. More to come.

22.jpg23.jpg24.jpg25.jpg26.jpg27.jpg28.jpg
    Last edited by super_dork; 11-16-2015 at 02:00 PM.

18. Member
    Hope you liked that Rockwell tool, A. I honestly could not have done mine without it. Looking good and glad you found the water. Its all gotta come out!

Quote Originally Posted by rgsauger View Post
    Wow!! you have been a busy boy, son! Looks like you have made good solid progress of which you should be proud. Let me know when and I'll run over and take a look in person. We gotta figure out how far the rot goes and that will answer the question of the whole cap or the back half. My gut says cut the back half but we just gotta check it all out. I did my transom out of 3 pieces of 1/2" marine grade plywood. I'm going to make a strong argument that you do the same (and I can help) but the final call is yours as it's your boat and your $! Keep up the great work and keep posting pics. Holler at me.
    that looks like an easy splashwell cut out,do just do the knees and transom,,,hopefully the rot isn't in the forward stringers,I've seen alot worse,so,hopefully you guy's can get it with just knees and transom,and not have to get into stringers. GL fella's

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrgfm View Post
    that looks like an easy splashwell cut out,do just do the knees and transom,,,hopefully the rot isn't in the forward stringers,I've seen alot worse,so,hopefully you guy's can get it with just knees and transom,and not have to get into stringers. GL fella's
    Thanks Cajun. I think we can. I tapped around with a hammer and everything forward of the transom actually seemed VERY solid. This guy is an animal. Give him an idea and a couple of hours and he's off to the races! Like the old man Micky said to Rocky "He's a wreckin' machine!" lol

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast