Question 2000 Mean16 Anniversary Edition weight

Hi guys, might need some info and help here.

I need to know the weight of my bass boat. I have 2000 Mean16 Anniversary Edition, with a 2000 Johnson 90 (J90PLSSE) outboard. Need to know the weight of it combined, I am planning on replacing my leaf springs soon, so I need to know the proper weight before I can make the purchase. I can calculate the gas and the rest pretty easy my self.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by eatmotacos; 10-20-2015 at 02:09 PM.
    #ilikefishingsomuchthatiforgetabouteverythingelse
    #2000 Champion Mean 16 Anniversary Edition
    #1999 90 Johnson

2. Member
    If you don't find the answer or just want double check, pull it to a truck stop and use their scale.

Lea should have it.

4. Member
    The '01 Catalog lists it at 1200lbs for the boat only, for what that's worth.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

5. Member
    This is for a 1999 mean 16..Shows it weighs 1200 pounds dry weight

Boat: 1999 Champion Boats Mean 16
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

6. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I do not have motor weights.

Also, you have to consider weight of fuel and gear....and livewell capacity...All of this adds up.

7. Member
    Thanks Lea!

I called Evinrude they told me the weight of the outboard is 319# so that puts me with just boat and outboard to be 1200+319=~1519 roughly

Now since gasoline is +/-(6.2ppg, depending on temperature) and with a 18 gallon tank that is roughly (111.6+1519) = ~1630.6#'s (boat+outboard+full_fuel_tank) (this does not include trailer weight or misc. items)
    #1999 90 Johnson

8. Member
    Where in the City limits in Houston can I find a weight station? When I lived in New Orleans they were everywhere.. LOL
    #1999 90 Johnson

9. Member
    With those numbers, seems like if you figure for 1.5 ton payload you would be safe. The only stuff you haven't accounted for is gear, graphs, batteries and trailer weight, which might add up to another 1000 lbs, give or take. How accurate are you trying to get? I can't imagine the spring options are too many. BUt I'm paying attention because I've heard the Dri-doc trailers like to break springs and mine are certainly original at this point.

10. Member
    Well, I am an Engineer and I have been finding out as in why my trailer bounces on the road and ultimately I found this rather nice webpage on the net on how to calculate proper weight distribution for your trailer, boat, and gear:

Classic Whaler: Boston Whaler: Reference: Trailering: Calculations

I would like to be accurate on my numbers but yet again trailer parts will only come in certain ranges of load percentage, so I figured heck why not? Trailer is more than 10 years old and from the looks of it, I would like to change them out just for piece of mind honestly. Plus having all of this info would be great for future references not just for me but for everyone here on this board.

Maybe my problem for my trailer bounce could be as simple as adding a tie strap to the bow of the boat tied down to the trailer or adjusting the winch stand to distribute the amount of total % weight on the goose neck on my truck. (which I calculated to be around 5% to 10% of my total weight.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    With those numbers, seems like if you figure for 1.5 ton payload you would be safe. The only stuff you haven't accounted for is gear, graphs, batteries and trailer weight, which might add up to another 1000 lbs, give or take. How accurate are you trying to get? I can't imagine the spring options are too many. BUt I'm paying attention because I've heard the Dri-doc trailers like to break springs and mine are certainly original at this point.
    #1999 90 Johnson

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatmotacos View Post
    Where in the City limits in Houston can I find a weight station? When I lived in New Orleans they were everywhere.. LOL
    Loves, Flying J

12. Member
    Find a grain elevator. Oh, sorry, might be a little tough in Houston.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

13. Member
    LMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by milligjg View Post
    Find a grain elevator. Oh, sorry, might be a little tough in Houston.
    #1999 90 Johnson

14. Member
    I hear ya, makes sense. You have probably addressed this already, but I discovered a fair amount of up and down play in my receiver on the tow vehicle and I am certain that translated to a bunch of banging and bouncing in the trailer. I picked up one of these:

Roadmaster Quiet Hitch for 2" Trailer Hitches Roadmaster Hitch Accessories RM-061

but haven't had my boat back yet to try it out. Your comment about a bow strap led me to think you might be having a similar problem at the receiver, but I could be wrong. Any little movement of the receiver in the hitch does result in just that much less control of the trailer though. The clamp device I got really locks it down, no question there.

But to your other points, I agree, changing springs on principle of age alone seems wise and I need to do it too just for peace of mind. Given your engineering background, did you ever give any thought to retrofitting shocks?

15. Member
    I have a Champion Mean 16 as well and it use to bounce around like crazy before I aired up the tires. It'll still bounce but only on really bad bumps.

16. Member
    You know I thought about retro fitting some shocks on the trailer at one point but I don't know how difficult that would be.

Someone suggested a turn buckle as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    I hear ya, makes sense. You have probably addressed this already, but I discovered a fair amount of up and down play in my receiver on the tow vehicle and I am certain that translated to a bunch of banging and bouncing in the trailer. I picked up one of these:

Roadmaster Quiet Hitch for 2" Trailer Hitches Roadmaster Hitch Accessories RM-061

but haven't had my boat back yet to try it out. Your comment about a bow strap led me to think you might be having a similar problem at the receiver, but I could be wrong. Any little movement of the receiver in the hitch does result in just that much less control of the trailer though. The clamp device I got really locks it down, no question there.

But to your other points, I agree, changing springs on principle of age alone seems wise and I need to do it too just for peace of mind. Given your engineering background, did you ever give any thought to retrofitting shocks?
    #1999 90 Johnson

17. Member
    I think it has to do with the weight distribution on the trailer. I will have a play with it this weekend and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkF150 View Post
    I have a Champion Mean 16 as well and it use to bounce around like crazy before I aired up the tires. It'll still bounce but only on really bad bumps.
    #1999 90 Johnson