Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rubrail Installation?

Is it normal for the last two feet of rub rail to be pulled away from the hull rear underside of rail? My 2015 721rails were installed this way. A clear silicone was used to fill the gap between rail and hull but an 1/8" gap still exists and attachment screws are visible. The gap also partly extends around rear corners. Seems this could cause rails to be easily ripped off rubbing a dock with some wake action. Am I picking fly poop out of black pepper? Anyone else have this condition?

2. Member
    It is normal. The cap and hull are bonded together. That is just there to fill up the gap. My 721 is that way also
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS
    2019 nitro z20, mercury pro xs 250 four stroke

Thanks for the reply. I have a water leak somewhere and we're trying to figure it out thought maybe it was being pushed through the gap on the holeshot. I have a trail of water on the battery trays both sides. Phoenix told me to check the end caps for silicone and they have a good amount of silicone under them. Wanted to find out if anyone else had the same gap under the rub rails. Can't seem to post any of the pictures.
    Last edited by gaston13; 10-18-2015 at 05:28 PM.

4. Member
    i dont think you should be able to see any screws mine has silicone all the way around cant see any gaps or screws

5. Member
    My rub rail had a gap so I bought black silicone and filled in the gap. I had water getting in the gap between the deck and the livewell, not siliconed good. I sealed it and no more problems.

It's back to the dealer now hopefully they'll figure something out. Unfortunately things started bad first time out speedometer tube was not connected leaking water. Back to house to fix then back on the water for 3 hours break in motor. Pulled drain plug and it look like Niagra Falls. So now we're trying to figure out where all the water is coming from. That's why I suspected the rub rail gaps could have been the issue. Speedo tube didn't have enough time to put that much water in the hull.

You sure it's not coming in when you get off plane?
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

Jason, it's possible coming off plane some water does appear to wash over into splashwell. Didn't go any further deck lid for batts was dry it could be pushing through under rub rails. I understand the hull & deck are sealed together but Phoenix did say some water could be getting through at end caps. So hopefully after sealing the gaps they will get it.

Gotcha. I'm sure they'll get you taken care of. Always do. I have seen a couple posts about the drain plug not getting sealed correctly. They may want to check that also.
    Jason

Update: Dealer Mare of Aquia sealed rub rails with black silicone and reportedly replaced the drain plug. No more leak!!!! Did get a minimal amount of water over splashwell once when I didn't bump throttle. Yes Jason it will get water in hull your correct. Thanks to Tim at Phoenix and Richard & Kenny at Mare.

Glad you got it taken care of.
    Jason

12. Member
    to Mare, Richard, and Kenny.

13. Member
    I'm beginning to wonder if I made the right decision going with the Phoenix. This blog is full of issues with problems with these boats. I have never had any issues with rub rails or drain plugs on any of the boats I've owned.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdawgbass View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if I made the right decision going with the Phoenix. This blog is full of issues with problems with these boats. I have never had any issues with rub rails or drain plugs on any of the boats I've owned.
    You have got to be kidding..... The VAST majority of owners have never experienced a problem with their boat. As for problems with other boats just go to ANY of the other boat forum on BBC and you will see A LOT more discussion of problems than you will on this forum. No boat manufacturer is free from problems but this one appears to have way less than any of the others.

I did have a problem with the rub rail on my Triton and after I found the fix I was kind enough to share it with MANY other Triton owners on BBC to fix their problem.

Good luck with your new boat.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdawgbass View Post

This has to be the funniest post I've ever seen on this board since you absolutely cannot be serious.
    Jason

Big dog you didn't make a mistake going Phoenix. Great design, best building materials used to put it all together. That's why I made the move. It's fixed I'm fishing again. My Ranger had problems when it was new too. No perfect boat or vehicle exists. Good luck dog.

17. Member
    Im well aware all boats have some issues from time to time. I guess I have been one of the lucky ones in the past 25 years of boat ownership. The only issues I have experienced was with a lower unit going out of a motor after 8 years of use and live well pumps failing after a few years service. I fish some of the roughest water around and haven't had water issues like I have read about on this blog. Hopefully I will have the same results with this boat. I like the blog. Lots of good information and fellow fishermen with good advice. Lake Erie will put her to the test.

18. Member
    Thanks. I will let y'all know next spring when I get her on the water. Hope to get it before the weather gets bad. Supposed to be done next week some time.

19. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Man I don't even own a Phoenix and can't believe I read that. There are 1000's of each boat mfg out there. Go to any blog for any of them and you will find folks with a small problem that they need help with or the occasional person that gets a lemon. It happens. To ALL of them. The posts about issues is such a small % that you really have to take them with a grain of salt. Now get 100 people having the same issue on the same model of any boat and then you have something to worry about. Personally if I couls afford a brand new boat right now it would be a Phoenix without hesitation.

20. Member
    Yep have a 2008 Ranger!
    I’m getting ready to replace my rub rail both the outer and insert.
    Had a 16” lg chunk get ripped out on the starboard side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast