Question Champion Lid Pull Handle

Currently in the process of redoing a 1994 champion 190DCX. Going to switch from the conventional Champion lid pull straps to the newer locking style lid handles.

Couple questions.
    Any issues with the Whitecap locking T-Handle?
    Would slam latches work well on the Champion?
    Locking or non-locking on the livewell lids?

I know some of this is personal preference but wanting advice from other Champion owners as I want to fix this boat up right the 1st time and not be redoing stuff in a year etc.

Thank you for any and all advice I greatly appreciate it.

2. Member
    I haven't installed those yet, but for sure! Measure TWICE, cut ONCE!

3. Member
    I would leave as is. I hate the T handles. I also have a bass cat and it has Them and it’s a lot easier to pull on the strap than twist & turn and repeat every time you open a lid. Champion had the best idea years ago and don’t know why others are still using the T handles . Slam latches are the next best in my opinion .

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Go back original. Nothing worse than lying your knee down on a big ass latch assembly, especially if it's a hot sunny day. Only modification I've seen is that some guys have done away with the locks on the front deck entirely and either have or installed a Loc-R-Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Go back original. Nothing worse than lying your knee down on a big ass latch assembly, especially if it's a hot sunny day. Only modification I've seen is that some guys have done away with the locks on the front deck entirely and either have or installed a Loc-R-Bar
    This^^^^

Same here!

7. Member
    I had a '93 190DCX and never thought to replace the straps with the metal locking assembly. Another vote for keep it original!

8. Member
    One of the things I love about my Charger 210, they completely eliminated locks and went with just straps like Champs and Loc-R-Bar Kneeling on a lock or T handle is something I never want to experience again.

9. Member
    Locks leak.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rid 05 198 View Post
    Locks leak.

11. Member
    I have had 3 Champions. All of had the straps on the livewells, rear storage compartment and the step up console. They do wear out, but nothing a person that knows how to operate a sewing machine can't fix. On my 2001 196 Elite, both rod lockers don't have straps as there is a cutout in the boat to lift those compartments as well as the center storage compartment. They came with locks that I never use as I also have a rod locker bar. My rear battery compartment has a lock, but I honestly cannot remember the last time I used it. Good luck with whatever you decide to do! Almost forgot! My ice cooler and rear drivers side compartment also have straps.

12. Member
    Thank you for the advice, definitely much cheaper to make some custom straps. My main concern was security while out of town for tournaments. I’ll be looking into the lockerbar and going with the straps.

thank yall for the help I greatly appreciate it

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bclaytonfishing View Post
    Thank you for the advice, definitely much cheaper to make some custom straps. My main concern was security while out of town for tournaments. I’ll be looking into the lockerbar and going with the straps.

thank yall for the help I greatly appreciate it
    Nothing will keep out a determined thief, but a Loc R Bar will keep out the quick snatch and grabbers. T or cam locks can be gotten past with a stout screwdriver or mini pry bar in seconds.

14. Member
    original type straps and a locker bar are my choice, hate dealing with the turn latches.

15. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Locks leak.
    I've had 3 Champions over the last 30 years and none of them leaked.

16. Member
    I've had 3 Champions over the last 30 years and none of them leaked.
    I just say that because of Charger's reasoning to not put them on anymore. ?

17. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I just say that because of Charger's reasoning to not put them on anymore. ?
    Could be, but with the Loc-R-Bar being standard in the Chargers as well as the Champion 200 & 210, they are not really needed. I think Charger may even have a Loc-R-Bar on the rear deck.

18. Member
    I recarpeted my 198 recently and went back with straps on the rear deck. Easy to switch out, no holes in the lids, and simple. They may not look as clean, but they really aren't that noticeable in my opinion. I did opt to not put any locks back on the entire boat. Looks cleaner and I can always put them back if I want them later. I never used them and they get hot. I do have a loc-r-bar if I find myself traveling and need to secure things.