Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
    I have not done any WOT runs for a while now but I do know my 08 Z9 @ 70 -71 is effortless since I put the PP's on. Before it was a handful above 68 and I have had it to 75 on the GPS but I was driving the hell out of it and it was perfect running conditions. IDK is the PP's weight helped hold the azz down or got me a little more bow lift but it definitely calmed it down a little. 70 is plenty fast for me so I'm not to awfully worried about it just more curious than anything I guess, I know the PP's had to effect what my fastest top speed would have been and I'm not taking them off to try and get a MPH or 2 so I guess it's all in the past now.
    With your prop and set up, maybe the pp's helped you. I do have the talons, I run a 27 bravo, at 68-69 it really wants to chine. I also tried a 26 fury and had same results. Sure I could not trim up as much and run wot, but then I'm not getting full performance. After watching Ryan drive it, he sure made it look easy at just under 72, he thinks I could get more out of it with a 3 blade. I'll prolly leave it cause like you said 70 is plenty fast

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scab View Post
    With your prop and set up, maybe the pp's helped you. I do have the talons, I run a 27 bravo, at 68-69 it really wants to chine. I also tried a 26 fury and had same results. Sure I could not trim up as much and run wot, but then I'm not getting full performance. After watching Ryan drive it, he sure made it look easy at just under 72, he thinks I could get more out of it with a 3 blade. I'll prolly leave it cause like you said 70 is plenty fast
    How high are you running your prop. The higher I run mine the better it handles.

I run a 27 bravo, at 68-69 it really wants to chine. I also tried a 26 fury and had same results. Sure I could not trim up as much and run wot, but then I'm not getting full performance. After watching Ryan drive it, he sure made it look easy at just under 72,
    That's the driver difference. When Ryan was driving it, he was preventing the chine you were seeing at 68mph. Seat time will get you there. It is nice to know what your boat is capable of....
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

4. Member
    Boats don't chine walk, drivers do . Any boat is driveable with the current setup. Hope everything works out for OP. Guys tinker way too much and IMO they probably miss their top end speeds by sometimes tinkering too much. Chine walk only happens during acceleration. Chine walk = acceleration. Acceleration = faster boat; no acceleration = no chinewalk = top end speed.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

Chine walk only happens during acceleration.
    Not true, if you top out at whatever your top end speed is, let's say a Z8 with a 250 hp at 75mph, "after" max acceleration... Drive it for a while so no chine walk occurs, then stop driving it, just let it do what it wants to do, and I guarantee it will start chine walking. Drivers don't cause it, they have to prevent it... The reason why I say this is because I have demo'd boats to show just this exact scenario. I show that it can be driven without chinewalk by the driver preventing it, and how it will walk immediately after without driver corrections, then I will also show how it can be brought out of it (which I admit you don't ever want to get to)... But I think I see your point, speed/lift = chine walk?
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

6. Member
    Sorry. Acceleration causes chinewalk. Other factors such as a breeze or slight wave from the left or right, or a slight tap of the steering wheel can cause the boat to fall off pad which if not corrected will begin chinewalking. If no other factors exist boat will stay on pad evenly once acceleration stops (that's in a perfect world which never really happens). It's physics. I wasn't really saying drivers cause it. It's an old saying not to be taken literally. "Boats don't chine walk, drivers do" Maybe I needed the quotation. It's just basically saying that all drivers can correct chinewalk and basically blaming the chinewalk on the driver, not the boat.

Fair enough..... I wish I could find an excellent video of a guy years back when I was running a Triton that took it upon himself to film his boat from the back butt seat showing himself and the bow at the same time. Also a Triton, how chine walk started, got almost out of hand and then how he corrected/prevented it... If I find it I will link it up....
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

9. Member
    Yes. Great video. I've posted this one before.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
    How high are you running your prop. The higher I run mine the better it handles.
    I'm running it at 2.75 prop to pad, when Ryan was driving it, he did bump it up to 2.5 and it seemed to handle well, but then again he knows how to drive it. Since then I haven't had a chance to get it out to play with, but I'll have it at 2.5 as he also got more speed with it up a bit.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KCLOST View Post
    That's the driver difference. When Ryan was driving it, he was preventing the chine you were seeing at 68mph. Seat time will get you there. It is nice to know what your boat is capable of....
    Your right, he was preventing it. I was thinking it would do a little better than that after hearing what guys on BBC are getting. Perhaps with a different prop it could, and I'm sure the talons don't help. But I sure like the acceleration it has.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Driving it is one thing. My 08 boat could not drive it at full throttle. Changed props and it almost required no input at full throttle.
    I am new to bass boat ownership. I bought a 2014 z8 new last year. I have a 26p fury on a 250 pro xs I'm lost as to set up. I have terrible steering toque and violent chine walking. Any advice? I have not moved the motor up or down.
    Nathan Ewing
    2014 Nitro Z8
    250 Pro Xs

prolly need to raise the motor for starters. somewhere around 3.5 below pad is a good starting point.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

14. Member
    My fastest prop was a 25 fury but it did walk. I ran a 25 Trophy and it did away with the walk but wasn't quite as fast. As everyone says, seat time. I had mine up to 78 gps a few times. By myself and light load.

15. Member
    The side to side wobble he is having driving no handed...is not chine walk
    2009 Z8 -2013 250 PRO XS-Dual 10' Power Pole Blades-Humminbird 1198,1197,998-MG 109-

16. Member
    What would you call it? Looked like chine walk to me
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

17. Member
    I have a 2014 nitro z8 with a 250 pro xs. I have a 26p fury. It chine walks violently and has incredible steering torque. I have not done anything to the height of the motor. It is set up exactly how the factory set it up. Any advice? This is my first bass boat per se. I had a pro team 17 prior to this boat
    Nathan Ewing
    2014 Nitro Z8
    250 Pro Xs

Here is a nice vid from our FB group that could assist

https://www.facebook.com/darren.hern...8216340202262/

2007 Nitro 482 150HP Optimax

19. Member
    New to driving a boat with chine walk as well, does current make a difference such as running a river vs. a lake?

Quote Originally Posted by Ntewing View Post
    I have a 2014 nitro z8 with a 250 pro xs. I have a 26p fury. It chine walks violently and has incredible steering torque. I have not done anything to the height of the motor. It is set up exactly how the factory set it up. Any advice? This is my first bass boat per se. I had a pro team 17 prior to this boat
    Need to get some specs on your prop to pad measurement, meaning where is the center of the lower unit torpedo in relation to the lowest point on your hull.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12